1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder Scale Recommendations

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 3220, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3220

3220 Member

Hi All,

Just starting reloading. Could anyone recommend a good scale that is accurate, reliable and a good value?

Thanks in advance,

Fred

2. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

Go with an electronic one, midway shooters supply has them from $20.00 up. I used a balance beam type one for years but they are so slow. I love mine I think I paid around $25.00 it is a hornady. You will hear you need to check the cheaper ones with a beam type, that is probably good advice however mine has been perfect for about five years and counting. Good luck and welcome to the game.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"You will hear you need to check the cheaper ones with a beam type..."</I></blockquote>Yup...if your digiscale costs under $500 you're gonna want to keep a beam balance handy to check it with. So why not just buy a decent beam balance and use it instead; no need to keep checking it because gravity hasn't changed in about a zillion years. And if you're that desperate to save the 10 second difference in speed between the two scales, maybe ya just ought to buy your ammo because you're in way too much of a hurry to be a careful reloader.

Keller

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

RCBS 10-10.

Whiz

5. wyogeorge

wyogeorge Member

I second the 10-10 from rcbs

6. mooster1223

mooster1223 Member

An electronic scale is great for doing spot checking and a BUNCH faster than a beam. I use a beam for rifle loading and a cheap PACT electronic for pretty much EVERYTHING else. Try sorting bullets using a beam scale. You'll pull your hair out!!! A electronic scale is plenty accurate for anything you'll ever load in a shotgun shell!

http://pact.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=59

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

RCBS Micro Pro Digital Approx $100.00 Battery and 110volt powered

Best deal out there for me

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. happyshooter

happyshooter Member

An electronic scale and a set of check weights to verify your scale is what I rely on Rick

9. rexxon631g

rexxon631g Member

10-10 RCBS

10. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I like my digital RCBS, been using it for the better part of 5 years! Cost me around $100 as I recall, and sits nicely next to my used PW 800+. I like to weigh 1 shell in each box of 25, so you can imagine I am not a big fast production reloader, just one pull at a time on wintery Sunday afternoons.

11. Baber

Baber TS Member

Pact scales are a POS. Ballistic products sell a cheap electronic scale for $25 that's better. Get some good check weight just to make sure.

T

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I like my digital RCBS 1500 it fast and easy to use.

13. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I don't understand the Pact bashing. Mine has worked flawlessly for several years.

Go electronic with check weights.

Any major brand name model will serve you well.

Guy Babin

14. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Pact is a great company.

Every time my digi-scales went haywire they fixed them for free. I just had to buy'em a ticket to Texas.

I have a pair of Pact scales in a box somewhere that have more frequent flyer miles than I do!

Keller

15. RLC323

RLC323 Member

3220, consider yourself commended for asking about a scale to start with. So many on here all they want to know what bushing to drop this or that powder right of the bat. The scale is a key to safety.

Starting out I would go with the RCBS 10-10 like others here have suggested. I believe Ohaus still makes these. The 5-0-5 is okay if you are on a budget but the 10-10 features magnetic dampening that gets you a quicker zero.

Digital is a step up in speed but you have to be sure to calibrate them, they are affected by the slightest draft, so you mouth-breathers beware.

I use an old Dillon digital with the lifetime warranty, sadly the ones they sell are made in China now and the warranty is short. Still good scales though.

I had a PACT BBK for my first digital. Good company, they made digitals for RCBS for a while. The BBK I had was a crappy scale. It went to Texas so often I thought about getting it a cowboy hat. The newer BBK II looks good but I would ask around.

16. 3220

3220 Member

Hello All,

Thanks so much for the input. You are an incredible source of information. This beginner appreciates sincerely!

Fred

17. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I will never own another digital scale...

I bought both ..digital first. It wasn't an expensive one (Cabellas). It was often out of calibration...and was a pain to calibrate quickly. Finally got to a point that I just didn't trust it at all.

I then bought a beam scale and ended all the issues. They are much more trust worthy in my limited experience (2 years). Simplier to use and less expensive doesn't hurt either (as a rule).

That's my take, but opinions vary...as always.

Stan

18. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

My first scale was a Hornady beam scale which I still use for shotgun reloading and checking my RCBS 1500 Chargemaster scale and dispenser. The 1500 is accuarate to .1 of a gr but I still check it often. I also have a RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale I've never used..

For the most consistent accuracy I trust the Hornady beam scale the most.

19. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

As per Whiz White RCBS 10-10 is the best thing I've found. Ross Puls

20. wlc

wlc Member

I have a Lyman-Ohaus D-5 that I bought in 1966 for $11.55. I've used it ever since for pistol, rifle, shotgun, and matching arrows for archery. I've though about replacing it but neer have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.