1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder ??'s with ultra slow loads.....dirty?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Powder ??

I have been and still am using 700X, it is readily available to me at our local club and is a very comptetive priced powder. I have been very satisfied with it shooting fast loads. Seems really clean. Lately I have been pushing down to a 1 oz load and ultra slow. So much that I am at the 14.5 grains which is the bottom of the charts for this powder. One of the side effects is I am noticing a considerable dirty barrel. QUESTION. Are there other powders designed BETTER for a slow and light load?

In a nut shell is shooting light slower loads just common with having a dirtier barrel and I should just be happy with it? Is 700X a top powder to be using for slower/light loads?

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

In your same nutshell ... generally ... speaking of 'fast' powders, like 700X, RD, TW, S1000, etc. ... when you drop pressure below ~9000psi, they begin to get quite a bit dirtier.

For your other question, PB is one of the cleanest low-pressure powders you can find anywhere, and REX-0 is supposed to be pretty clean in low doses, too, but I have never loaded it.

Bob

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Take a good look at Winchester WAALite. It is a great powder for super light loads as long as you don't try to push it too far. That will raise pressures considerably. It's one of the best "Lite" powders I've ever loaded. Nitro N100 is also a decent one to try, but for the real light stuff, the WAALite seems to have the edge.

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I've went down to 15.5 grains of 700X, Rem hull, Win 209 primer, Green Duster wad. 1125fps. 7850psi. Patterns great at 35 yards, not dirty at all. 14.5 grains, depending on your primer and other components, sounds kinda low. Under 7000 psi. Might not be high enough pressure for a complete burn. If you like the load, and its just unburned powder in the barrel, I don't see any problem. Wayne

5. RAU

RAU Member

Himark

If slow speed to you means under 1150 fps, I would give Winchester AA Lite a try. It is quit clean at these slower 1oz load speeds and it is very consistant even in cold weather.

Thanks......Rick

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Try American Select, it burns cleaner and more consistently than most at low pressures.

John C. Saubak

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I agree with John. I use American Select for a low pressure 1 oz load for my first shot of doubles. I does seem to burn well at low pressures.

Pat Ireland

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

John and Pat, in warm weather only. Shoot low pressure Am Sel loads at 30 degrees and you'll see dirt.

Himark, I agree with PB as a very clean powder, even at low pressure in the winter. You might also try Solo 1000, and other single base powders.

9. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

The new Alliant e3 powder works well for me and burns clean even with 7/8 oz. loads. .....Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.