1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Sep 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I cannot verify this as I don't reload Red Dot, But if I have a MEC 29 bushing and it drops 17.1 grains, how many grains of PROMO will it drop, will it be heavier or lighter?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. mag410

mag410 Active Member

No way to know. The density of every lot of Promo is different. Which is why Alliant date says to use Red Dot data by weight, not volume.

Michael Goines

3. Dr.Longshot

That was my question, does Promo weigh heavier or lighter in the same bushing.

Gary

4. TRW369

TRW369 TS Member

Promo will weigh approx:16.5 grs. I am using a 30 or 31 MECH bushing and with #30 it is throwing 17.5 and #31 is 18.2 grs. That is the reason you must weigh each jug of an 8lb canister each time you open up a new one. From jug to jug you will get an inconsistency of powder throws. Hope that answers your question.

Terry

5. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Gary generally speaking Promo will weigh more in the same bushing.
    Don

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Like mag410 said, 'Yes.'

It depends on the lot, how humid it is, whether your a/c is running, how long the jug as been un-capped and how energetic/smoothly you pull the handle.

Bob

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

To me it is not worth messing with promo!

For what little you save on cost ... 3 times the effort to use it.

8. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Goatskin. Apparently one must be careful throwing around highly technical terms such as density.

Michael

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Michael, 'fluffy' works pretty good, too, for the 3rd time the same question is asked.

GB got that 17.1 from the MEC bushing chart, and suppose you <i>could</i> get 17gn in a #29 thimble if you packed it with a first grade pencil and the powder was wet.

Every time I open a new jug of promo, I argue with two scales; sometimes 3.

Keep up the technical work.

Bob

10. Dr.Longshot

The reason for my question was I traded my Mec 9000 for this like new PW 800B
    and Hornady bushings were hard to find, so I am having a machinist make a PW bushing I cannot use to accept the MEC Bushings, and I wanted a good place to start trying to save some time, but will weigh the charge on my digital scale
    when I get the custom bushing tomarrow night. It is harder to get powder weight charges to check on a PW loader than a MEC.

I thought that PROMO was a more dense powder than RED DOT.

Anyway thanks to all.

11. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Gary, that bushing is available from Gamiliel and others I am sure. I bought mine for around eight dollars and use mec bushings in it since I have a whole box full of them. Jackie B.

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

"To me it is not worth messing with promo!

For what little you save on cost ... 3 times the effort to use it." ???????

Every lot can have a different density, but I find Promo to be consistent within a lot. I purchase 2 cases (4 jugs) at a time of the same lot number and it takes about 10 minutes to get the right bushing selected.
    I use 16.5-17 gr and use the same bushing for 1 1/8 and 1 oz loads. It keeps things simple. I get about 13,000 loads from 4 jugs without a bushing change. The only change between loads is the wad and a shot bushing change. The wads are a different color so even a caveman can get it right.

I have two progressive 12 ga machines. One is set up for Promo loads and I dink around on the other one for other loads/gauges. If I had one machine, I would mark the bushing with the lot number so I could go back to the right drop.

Using Promo is not rocket surgery.

Don Verna

13. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Gary yes it is denser therefore heavier.
    Don

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Apparently one must be careful throwing around highly technical terms such as density.

Thanks for the chuckle!

15. Dr.Longshot

I just got through checking the drop weight w/PROMO it drops 2 grains heavier than the RED DOT load, which was actually perfect for the load that I was wanting, Boy What luck.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.