1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder: Nitro 100 vs American Select vs Rex?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by riflegunbuilder, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I have been using Nitro 100 for several years. I load a load around 1100fps at approx. 65-6700 psi. I noticed Recobs has American Select around $6 a 8# cheaper. I am getting a few bloopers which I think come from a combination of low pressure and worn out hulls. Has anyone tried American Select and Nitro 100? Is American Select cleaner, better ignition? This savings then got me to thinking about Rex 0 or 1. Where does Rex fit in the mix? Thanks for your help guys.

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

American Select is a lot closer to Solo 1000 than Nitro 100. Try it. You will like it. Don't know about Rex.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I like American Select

Pat Ireland

4. perga1

perga1 Active Member

American Select is great stuff.

5. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Well not really fair to throw Rex into the mix. American Select is great powder! If your looking for cheap try out the Promo powder by Alliant. I started using it last year and have been super happy. Yea its not as clean as American Select or Clays etc but a lot cheaper! When you bring Rex into the mix your looking for cheap. Thats why I say you can not compare Rex and American Select (never used Nitro 100). Your going from a premium powder by Alliant to a cheap import. I have to say in most cases the Rex bought in the huge bulk containers is super close to Promo bought in 8lb containers. I have heard good things about Rex but have heard the price keeps going up and can be hard to come by. I buy the Promo since its an American made powder and company and I have always been able to get it from Recobs. In an emergency I can pick up some Red Dot and have an equal load with very little changes to my machine.

You have to decided what is more important, price or clean. If its about cost buy the Promo. If its about how clean a powder is buy the American Select, clays, clay dot etc. But you will pay more.

6. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

I buy both Nitro 100 and Rex 1 by the 25# box. I have loaded more than 150 pounds of each. I use them both for 1 oz loads. I also load 7/8 oz with Nitro 100. I like them both, but Rex is a little dirtier than than the Nitro. This may be a result of loading light loads with low pressures. Also,the Rex seems to be a little softer shooting. I highly recommend either one. As someone said above Rex is less expensive. The last 25# cost me about $220 while the 25# of Nitro cost me $250. I purchased both at last year's Grand.

7. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Ever had problems w/ Nitro not dropping consistantly. Quite a few at our club quit using it.

8. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

I've loaded a bunch of both and like the n-100 better. Nothing is cleaner than n-100, am select is plenty clean though. If you look at the charge weights it takes a little less n-100 to get the same load velocity as am select this said your $6 per 8#s may not really be any savings you need to look at your cost per reload. I think with out doing the math that it's about even cost wise. So use the powder you like best. I found the rex to be very dirty and a meters a little less consitantly than the other powders you're looking at but it is cheap. I have confidence in my n-100 reloads and thats worth the cost difference to me.

9. woodski

woodski Member

I really like Rex 1 for 7/8 and 1oz loads- Rex 2 for 1 1/16 and 1 1/8 oz loads. It is a little dirtier than some others mentioned but not much if the load guide for rex powder is followed closely. Clean yor gun anyway so might as well save some cash. Try www.conniescomponents.com for up 2.2# keg to 25# box sizes and a great buy. Fred and Dakin are great to work with but do have reg. jobs also so please be PATIENT and you will be taken care of asap. Bob

10. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

Dove Commander: I haven't had any metering problems with either Nitro 100 or Rex 1. As I indicated, I have loaded many hulls with both powders and have only good things to say about them both.

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

riflegunbuilder, I find that bloopers are most always a result of reloader error.

12. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Claycruncher, I had about .5 gr variance in loads and so did a few others at the club. One guy claimed it was "balling up" into clumps. We had heard that there were a few bad batches out at that time. How long have you been shooting it? I'd sure like to go back to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

nitro 100 american select clay dot