1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder Migration ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by straycat, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. straycat

straycat TS Member

Just curious,what are some of the causes of powder migration around a wad? A well used hull could be one but,what about a once fired hull with the correct type wad for that hull? Any ideas?

2. straycat

straycat TS Member

Anybody ??

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The space between the wad and the hull is greater than the size of the powder flakes or grains. Use a coarse powder instead of a fine grained powder and the problem will go away. HMB

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I feel it's the wad forcing the air out of the hull as it's shoved in abruptly that causes it most. Some wads have air vents that allow that trapped air to escape and that helps some. Hap

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

straycat, what makes you think powder is migrating? Perhaps you see flakes that stuck to the inside of the hull as the powder was dropped.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

you can also apply a static charge to the hull when handling the hull to insert in the loading press. If not dissipated before powder is dropped, that charge will cause powder (even flake powder) to stick the side of the hull. In a compression formed hull (or any shaped like that) the diameter of the base of the wad is much smaller than the diameter of the hull, and will not scrape the powder off. So you get what looks like migration, but isn't.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What are you talking about, 2 or 3 flakes? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

I get that when I use fine powders like Universal Clays or Titewad, but I can't see how its affected the performance of my reloads.

8. straycat

straycat TS Member

Thanks for the replies.

No,I'm not talking about two or three flakes but a large amount migrated up into the grooves of the wad above the gas cup. I had loaded some shells and had a couple 'bloopers' so I just cut the rest apart and several had a lot of powder migrated.I was using once fired Fed hulls with a S3 clone and Longshot powder,I had never had this problem before and I load alot of Longshot.

The static thing could have something to do with it.I just don't know.Any other ideas? Thanks

9. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

I've done a good wiping of Cling Free (or the like) fabric softener sheets on my hands at the start of each loading session for years. The stuff goes a very long way toward insuring that all the powder particles get under the OP cup instead of sticking to the hull's walls.

You can test this by finding some clear hulls and comparing the amount of powder particles in the wads crush area after loading with and without the Cling Free on your hands. Of course, the wad must be designed for the hull; I tested with clear Fiocchi hulls and B&P wads.

- - Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.