1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder Mfg data for Estate Cart.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rick Barker, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

As I loaded up my gear this morning for todays ATA shoot, I was again wishing I had reliable data for Estate shells.

I remembered I sent an e-mail to Hodgdon a couple weeks ago asking if they had or planned in the future to test and publish any data for the Estate hull. I still have not heard from them. As I threw 2 flats in my car today, I wondered if perhaps others who visit this site could also contact Hodgdon and Alliant with the same request I made. With enough requests, maybe both could see there is a genuine interest that would make furnishing the the data worthwhile. Nice thing about Alliant and Hodgdon is they publish on line. Good shootin' today to all of you.

2. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

My understanding is Estate hulls and Top Gun hulls are the same (boxs say they are both made in Anoka MN.) ,both made by Federal. In my new Alliant Powder Reloader Guide, I use the data listed under Federal Plastic Target Shells. I generally reload Estate and Top Gun hulls once using Downranges 1 1/8oz. DRF3-12 and Claydot Power. I'll let you research the amount based on your primer choice. They actually make a pretty nice reload once or twice.

3. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I agree with jbmi about the nice looking reloads with Estates. The second loading will result in some weak areas around the crimp.

I use Down Range XXL orange wads for a 1 oz. load with Fio 616's and 18.0 gr. of Promo.

HBT

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I load them with 18.5 Grs Promo 1 1/8th oz 7 1/2s Windjammer wad, Rio primer.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. Rick Barker

Looking at the Federal hunting plastic hull with the high brass, paper base wad, it almost appears the same as the Estate hull, but with the difference in the low steel head. If I knew these two hulls were the same in ballistics performance, I could use the Lyman recipes. Maybe I can inquire to Lyman if they have studied it.

A lot of new fired Estate hulls end up on the fields and in the trash. It would be a great way to reduce costs for a lot of shooters, if published data were available. Inquires to Alliant and Hodgdon from many people might do the trick.

I will not fault experienced hand loaders who want to create their own recipes, but I don't want to chance it myself. I am just too much of a wus. I want published data.

6. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

Top Guns and Wally world Federals have low base steel bases with paper base wads, exactly the same as Estates. You can use the published Federal target shell data for Estates. I use either hull with 12SO wads, 1 oz #8, 18gr Clays, and a Fiochi primer as the second shell for doubles. Velocity runs between 1189 and 1200 fps. Bob K

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Find a copy of the Alliant Loading Guide from 2005. They list the Federal Hi-Power hulls with the "Rolled Paper" base wad. That is the Federal and Estate hull. They had a bunch of data from 1 oz to 1 1/2 oz. Hodgdon used to list a few loads for these hulls also, but the selection was limited. BOTH powder companies have said that the data for the Gold Medal Hulls could be used. I'd add that the lower pressure loading data for the Gold Medal hulls could be used. The velocities and pressures will not be the same, but will usually be a little lower. Loads approaching 10,000 PSI would not be considered.

Send me a PM with an email address and I might be able to be pursuaded to send a pdf copy of the 2005 Alliant Guide. I'm temporarily on dialup these days, so I'll wait for a few to ask and send them to all at one time if I can.

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

I contacted Alliant about loading these hulls and was told to follow the Gold metal recipes.

9. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

You can use that data because the paper base wad will slow down and lower pressure. Your loads will be safe but slower than that published for gold metal hulls. Bruce

10. Rick Barker

Thanks for your input, everybody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.