1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

powder load; a little high or a little low?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blueraven81, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

I'm reloading on a MEC9000G with 8 oz, Rem. gun club shells.

I'm aiming for a load of 18.4 gr, but with a #29 bushing I get around 17.7 gr and with a 30 bushing I get around 19 gr.

Which way should I go, a little low or a little high?

Thanks,
    Blueraven

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You didn't mention the powder so 'a little high' could be a bad thing. If you want to throw a charge that is a bit heavier than what you get from a standard bushing, a little honing of that #29 bushing will get you there.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Go low, Bluereven. It's the only way to be sure that stacking tolerances don't work to your detriment. A few feet per second slower than you plan for is not to your detriment; more pressure than you planned for may possibly be.

Neil

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Blueraven, MEC bushings are cheap. By an extra number 29, and engrave it, paint it or something so you can NEVER get it confused. Slowly take a rat tail file and open the hole until it throws the 18.4 you are looking for. It will take several tries, and throw at least 20 charges before you weigh the test charge to be sure everything is settled. Do not ever go too heavy on anything. Good Luck

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What Neil said.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I think just about every bushing I have has either been enlarged with a rat file file or reduced with fingernail polish. I modify my bushings to drop what I want them to drop, not what they want to drop.

Pat Ireland

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I do the same as Pat, except I use 3M black electrician's tape instead of nail polish. A guy at Hornady told me that trick years ago when I asked them if they had any bushings in between the ones they published (they did). BTW, if you use the tape I mentioned, the tape will never fall out. In fact, when you want to remove it, you'll have to work at it a bit.

Pat, what color polish do you use LOL.

9. FLIP

FLIP Member

i used tape it fell out blocked powder drop had to cut open lots of shells. i use nail polish (fuchsia color)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.