1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder Life

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

So - much discussion of late re: whether to stockpile reloading components. Obviously no issues re: lead, wads, or even primers for that matter.

But, how long for "shelf life" of shotgun shell reloading powder(s) ?

If I purchase either several 4 lb cannisters and don't open them how long will they be viable for loading without decomposing ( if that's the proper word )

Or . . . . what if I buy an 8 lb cannister/bottle and don't use it all up over several months. i.e. powder for the 410 bore which only required 14 grains. At 7000 grains per pound it will take me a long time to use up a pound, let alone 8 pounds since I'm a casual skeet shooter.

2. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

I have powder from the 70's and its just like new. Keep it dry and I just started to do is keep it in a large ammo cans. I do the same with primers.

3. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Hydra is right. Some of us out here are still shooting powders from the 1960's and 70's. Just try and keep the temperature and humidity at an even keel and it'll last for a long, long time. Same with other components.
    Just watch reloading data as some powders with the same number have changed slightly. This does'nt seem to be your problem.
    Mike C.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Stored in a proper container at normal temperatures, a shelf life of 50 years would not be unusual. The Alliant plant has some Unique powder that is over 100 years old and it still works fine.

Pat Ireland

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Make sure to keep your wads away from the sun light. HMB

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

I regularly load and shoot military surplus powder that was made back in the 1940s'. Bought it in the 50s'from Hodgdon for about 50 cents a pound. No problems yet.

The oldest shotgun powder that I have used is from a keg of Green Dot that lay forgotten in my mothers attic for over 25 years. Still loaded and shot like it did when new.

7. willing

willing Member

Just had some wads which were very(?) old and they were not flexible at all, very fragile. Don't know where they were stored or how long, completely unusable.

Bill

8. 50calshooter

50calshooter TS Member

Just pulled a bunch of 1936 8mm German ammo,powder is great and smells fine gonna reload it and the bullets in boxer primed cases. So how long will it last? You're grandkids can use if unless the freak in office has his way and no one stands up.

9. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

I inherited a keg of 700X from the 70,s and it works like a champ. No direct sunlight and keep in a cool dry place and I think it will out last me!

Cheers,

George

10. philk

philk Member

I am just starting up after about a 15 year layoff. Started using 3 kegs of red dot that I had,one was unsealed and about 5000 primers. This stuff is working perfectly. Just be sure to keep it dry. Opened up the powder kegs and they smelled well like fresh powder, no funny smell like it was breaking down or deteriorating.

11. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Time is no friend to plastic wads. I have had Red Dot stored for over 10 years in a plastic milk jug while raising kids and it was fine when I could again to shoot. A few years ago I bought 15,000 primers beacuse of the price. I stored them in their own cardboard containers but then wrapped each case in a plastic wad bag. I started using them this year after 3 years storage and all fire well.

12. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Was told by Herco that as long as powder didn't smell like
    vinegar it was OK. No specific shelf life.

Doyal

13. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

I helped a older shooter from are club change the springs on his garage door and refused any payment,but he wouldn't let me leave with out taking a brick of Win.209 primers they looked good but were really old and I had a lot of miss fires in them.I started giving as prizes at shoots that way could get a leg up on my fellow shooters. Jon

14. dibbz

dibbz TS Member

12gagejon; giving questionable quality primers to fellow shooters...You are joking, right?

15. philk

philk Member

Now thats funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.