1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder keg explosion damage

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Frank C, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/mms/explosif/over/media_e.htm

be careful!!!

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Ok i'm convinced, I'll not store my powder on a lit propane burner.

Jim

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Well, Ok...but what if they had used Green Dot or PB instead?

My research shows the slower pressure curve would have simply escaped under the crack in the door...

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Wonder if we should be leaving the lid loose so pressure could escape which would just let the power flare up instead of explode.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The coat rack seems to have survived nicely.

It seems possibly the plastic jugs have more burst pressure than the old cardboard containers.

they were supposed to be designed so there would not be the pressure that could cause major damage.

we had a wacko in our town who put a Red Dot cardboard container in the back of a pickup, and detonated it remotely when his lawyer(wohm he was trying to kill) walked past it.

the tailgate came out of the pickup, and the lawyer was surprised but not hurt.

HM

6. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Frank C.
    Thank you for sharing the Canadian testing Video. Very interesting. I wonder if the powder manuf. has seen this test? Notice that it didn,t set anything on fire....but the pressure generated did damage the roof and blow out a wall......Jet Boat Bill

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The damage results didn't come as much a surprise to me. 8 pounds of anything that flammable is bound to do some damage. If 8 pounds of gasoline or black powder had been used for a test, there wouldn't be much of anything left to inspect? Just a guess but I'd wager there's more garages with 5 gallons of gasoline stored there than homes with an amount of smokeless powder to equal what it would do? Hap

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hap- A similar test using black powder would be quite enlightening.

Pat Ireland

9. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Iv'e stopped storing my powder on the woodstove.....so how is a guy to keep his powder dry anyhoo?

10. Bwanar

Bwanar TS Member

Ykess....if they had our building code with strapping holding everything together the explosion could have been much worse. You would think the top would have come off the jug before that much pressure could build up! Definately should have a pressure release.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Very enlightening it would be Pat!! There would be no computer left, no stove and no building at all with 8 pounds of black powder! Besides seeing flying debris, you'd also see a fireball about 300 feet in the air of all colors!!

Years ago I helped build explosive test chambers for Monsanto Labs. All kinds of explosives were tested there and to feel the concussions and see the damages first hand was some experience! Hap

12. alpine

alpine TS Member

One cup of gasoline, properly dispersed, has the same explosive power as a stick of dynamite.

So don't put a cup of gasoline on a stove either.

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Guess I'll have to quit storing my kegs over the burner in my ice fishing shack.

Darn, it was handy.

WW

14. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Wonder if that was a Dell they were trying to blow up?

Jerbear

15. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

Jerbear:

Hard to tell what the box was, but I bet VISTA was the O/S.

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I find it odd that the roof lifted so evenly. As far as code goes, aint no code for interior exspolsion i bet. Still scarry, but fire damage is minimal. Be careful. Thsnkd Frank

17. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Unfortunately I have first hand experience with gunpowder burning inside a house. My adventure was started by a gas leak and I happened to be in my reloading room when things went south. Gunpowder will burn very rapidly and create pressure, that's exactly what it does inside ammunition but it doesn't detonate.

In my opinion this test was set up in everyway possible to make the results look as bad as possible. Is it possible the agency doing this has an anti-gun agenda? It's a very small house and sealed up pretty tight, hard to imagine this circumstance in a normal home. Gunpowder is not classified as an explosive but they seem to not so subtly trying to prove it is. Blackpowder is entirely different.

With all that said it is very important to be very careful storing and using powder and primers. Common sense for most of us, the same kind of respect you show gasoline or anything else that burns easily. Ross

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.