1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder info needed...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John55, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John55

John55 Active Member

I've been using Green Dot for my 1-1/8oz loads for several years now and have decided to try something different. I like it's low pressure and moderate cost but just feel like a change would be interesting! I load the Remingtom STS cases mostly with Fig.8 or Versalite wads. Been looking at Clays Universal and International and was hoping to get some feedback about them for this application. I want something that burns clean, is not going to be affected by cold weather and will not run my pressures up too high...preferably keeping them under 10,000 cup. I was all set to switch back to PB but when I checked the price I decided I might want to look at something else! Any comments most appreciated.

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Years ago I switched from PB to Green Dot in Federal Gold Medal plastic cases and have been well pleased. PB was becoming difficult to obtain and was more costly. For 1 1/8 oz loads at 1145 fps, 19.5 grains of Green Dot is just what the doctor ordered.

With the STS case, 19 - 19.5 grains of Green Got, Remington Fig wad, a Remington 209 primer and 1 1/8 oz of quality shot, you have an outstanding load

Ed Ward

3. John55

John55 Active Member

Yes, Green Dot does a nice job but after using it for quite a long time in a variety of loads I want to try something different! I've used a good bit of Clays as well, worked great for 1oz loads but never cared for it in 3dr. 1-1/8oz loadings. I prefer a slower burning powder for this application, and the Universal and International versions seem to be a better choice given my criteria...

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Universal Clays does a good job, but I'd use Unique instead, if I needed low pressure or more velocity. Unique is less costly and does the job well. Green Dot is also hard to beat. International Clays is more similar to Green Dot. If you aren't having problems with your loads, then why fix something that isn't broken. If you are having trouble with cold weather, I'd take a look at what primer you are using. I have had excellent results with the Winchester W209, The CCI209M, and Federal 209A for colder weather. There are a few others, but these are my go-to primers when developing a load for colder weather. I test my loads with half in the freezer and half at room temp. I then chronograph them to see how consistent they are. I have also done the test with factory loads. I don't get surprized by loads that don;t work as intended.

I would also like to mention that ALL powders leave something behind. Some more visual than others. I find very little difference between Promo and Clays in the amount of fouling. I shoot a gaspipe, so I have a pretty good idea which loads will foul it sooner. Load a powder to proper pressures and velocities and you should be good to go. I burn a lot of Green Dot, so that might tell you something. I clean my guns anyway and see little difference in the fouling, except maybe the color of it. I've actually had some "Cleaner" powders foul a gun faster than some "dirty" powders.

I'd also be careful about the CUPs vs PSI deal. They are not the same and are not interchangeable units. I would try a limit of 9000 - 9500 CUPs. PSI would be under 10,000 in my loads.

5. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

If it aint broke...... DON'T FIX IT!

6. kd185

kd185 Member

funny im actually switching to greendot for my 1 1/8 oz loads

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

John55, I'd try Solo 1000. It is super clean, meters well, and is very flexible. The 2003 manual shows loads for the wads you want to use. You can think of this as a slightly faster burning PB, that costs much less.

8. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I`ve been using 700X in all my STS hulls for the last 25+years . 15.6gr (406) in my 1 oz loads and 16.4gr (414) in the 1 1/8 loads using claybuster wads . I go to 17gr? (420) bushing for Hdcp from a 366. Cost for the 8# container of 700X is $105 with Red Dot running around $95 would be cheaper but I like the 700X since it doesn`t have any problems with cold or heat and I usually carry a few cases of shells in the pickup all year round .

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I switched from International Clays to Green Dot for my heavier 1 1/8 Oz loads. International is a good powder but it became difficult to get at sane prices. Green Dot seems to have better availability and lower cost (at least at the places I buy powder). The performance of Green Dot is every bit as good as IC and the trick to a clean burn is to just use enough to get the chamber pressure up in a proper range. I like 20 - 20.5 grains in the STS hull under 1 1/8 Oz shot. For lighter loads I use CLAYS or PROMO.

I did have some trouble with my Green Dot ammo last winter due to the fact that I was storing the loaded ammo out in an unheated shed where temperatures got in the single digits and below. I solved that problem by bringing a few flats of ammo into the house a day or two before going shooting.

10. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Alliant E-3 very very clean 18 grains check it out.

11. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

John55:

You asked for feedback about International Clays (IC) and Universal Clays (UC) for 1 1/8 loads. So far, you've gotten various opinions most of which ignore the question you asked.

While UC is a fine powder, there is somewhat limited data for 1 1/8 oz target loads. That's because UC is best suited for boomers and finds it's primary niche in loads of 1 1/4 ounce and up.

Of the two, IC is by far the best match for 1 1/8 target loads. If you like the way Green Dot performs, you'll like IC.

sissy

12. superump

superump TS Member

I have loaded sts shells with 700X for over 20 years. I have tried other powders and always go back to the old reliable 700X. Its fair priced and works in all temps and weather here in the midwest, and VERY reliable. Clays is a lot cleaner urning powder vs. the 700X but I personally didn't like it as much as the 700X and cost a lot more. I use the 700X in all of my trap loads (16yd and distance) and also in my skeet loads (1 1/8 oz.)

13. John55

John55 Active Member

Recoil Sissy,
    I have noticed a lack of response to the original question! But that's alright, I like to hear what others deem "best" for their use. Many have mentioned 700X and Clays, and I have loaded both but neither one impressed me for the 3dr or heavier hdcp. loads I typically use when shooting 1-1/8oz charges. Too much pressure for good patterns, and recoil was always too sharp. Slower burning powders like PB and Green Dot have produced far better results all around for these loads, at least for me. I used to load nothing but PB but after having troubles with availability and price I finally gave up on it. I'm told the new PB is not like the stuff I shot 20yrs ago, due to a number of things. If anyone here uses it and had used it a long ways back I'd love to hear their thoughts on this as I'm just about ready to bite the bullet and try some again.

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

John didn't ask a question, he asked for feedback. He did get that and it was based on experiences.

15. John55

John55 Active Member

USMR-

That load is much like what I am currently loading..I use 20.5grs in the STS hull but anything close to that is likely just as good. I shoot a single barrel so what is left in the barrel is of little concern, but what stays on the hulls and is transferred to my hands and then clothes is what I mean by clean. 700X used to horrible in this regard.

16. dverna

dverna Active Member

Hard to beat either GD or International Clays for 1 1/8 HC loads.

Like Quack, I prefer keeping pressures under 10,000 PSI. I shoot a K-80 and don't want it to blow up after a few hundred thousand rounds. LOL

Don Verna

17. Alliant Reloading

Alliant Reloading TS Member

Hi John55,

If I could suggest a powder from our line that sounds good for your application, please consider American Select(R). It is only slightly faster burning than Green Dot(R), and is very clean burning and efficient with 1-1/8oz loads.

Thanks for buying our American made shotshell powder.

Shoot well,

Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.