1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder In STS Factory Shells?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gjmen, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gjmen

gjmen Member

I know this has been discussed here before, however, I cant sem to find the old posts. What powder or what simular powder does Reminton use in their Nitro 1.125oz 1235 fps and the STS hvy hcp 1.125oz 1200 fps shells. Thanks, gjmen

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

They're both proprietary blends. The closest comercial powder to the 1235fps Nitro's is Titegroup. This is a Hodgdon powder and is very dense, hence the reason why Remington uses the TGT-12S wad for this shell.

18.0 grains of Titegroup in a Remington hull,Remington Primer, TGT-12S wad, and 1 1/8 oz of shot comes very close to reproducing the ballistics of the factory Nitro 27 shell.

As far as the 1200fps shell, I have no idea what is close to the powder used at the factory. I know that it is a lot bulkier than Titegroup (more like International Clays) and Remington uses the Fig 8 wad in this shell.

ss

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The best powder to use is Green Dot. HMB

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I use Green Dot and Fig8 wads for both loads and they perform very similar to the factory STS loads.

Matt

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Define "best"!!

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

"Best" is a couple of jugs that you picked up for a dirt cheap price!

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you try the Titegroup with the factory wad & primer you won't want to play with any crude imitations.

HM

8. Juantoomany

Juantoomany Member

If you do a search there's a mail string about your question. I believe a Remington Rep responded and did comment on two powders...I know that one was Alliant's e3.( he stated that these were very close to the remington powder used in the STS hulls)....I don't remember what the second powder was.....I'm not an authority....just sharing what I found..

Dave

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I tried various combinations of Tightgroup with Remington primers and wads. I just couldn't get past some odd sounding shells an finally gave up on it.

I'm now using it in AA's with Winchester primers and all is good. 16.3 grs with an AA or Fig-8 wad and no bloopers thus far. Very mild recoil, nice breaks and much cheaper than PB!!

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

From Alliant as a reply to another question some time back:<blockquote><I>My name is Paul Furrier and I am the Technical Manager at Alliant Powder in Radford, Virginia. I am also in charge of sales and marketing of our smokeless powders to the OEM ammunition manufacturers, so Remington is my account. I saw your post on TS.dom and thought I would send you a message, since I know exactly what Remington uses in their target loads. The powder Remington uses in their 12ga STS 1-1/8oz 2-3/4DE and 3DE loads is a proprietary powder we produce for them, and it contains green ID flakes. (In some lighting the flakes may look blue, but they are green). It is certainly not Green Dot(R). In terms of burn speed, the STS powder is virtually the same as Red Dot(R) and e3(R), but it is not either one. Energy wise, it is about halfway between the two, hence the charge weights slightly higher than e3, but lower than Red Dot.

You can duplicate the performance of the STS shells with handloads quite nicely with our American made powders e3 and Red Dot. For e3, 16.5gr makes the light load (2-3/4DE), and just shy of 17.5 duplicates the light handicap (3DE) beautifully. The Red Dot loads are: 18.0gr and 19.0gr for the 2-3/4DE and 3DE loads respectively. You can verify the load data I have shown in our interactive reloaders guide, at www.alliantpowder.com Good luck with your loads John. We would very much appreciate it if you use our powder. Please call us anytime at 800/276-9337 if you have any questions...</I></blockquote>

MK

11. slodsm

slodsm Member

Mk that answers one of my questions as someone I know did some disecting on nitro shells and noticed random green flakes in some of the shells. I just ran with that and load 21gr of GD under a tgt12 and a win209 primer. Very similar characteristics but "slightly" faster I believe....

Jeremy.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Remington used to buy Titegroup from Hodgdon for their Nitro 27 loads.

Now Remington buys a formula very similar to Titegroup from the factory (Florida I think, maybe General Dynamics.) Same place where Hodgdon contracts to have Titegroup made.

Look at Hodgdon's tables for Titegroup loads, and you can duplicate a Nitro 27 load using Remington primers, and a TGT-12s (or Downrange equivalent.)

The Hodgdon data shows a Figure 8, but a TGT-12s can be substituted (says so in the Hodgdon data somewhere) and the TGT-12s actually fits better than the Figure 8.

And personally, I like the Downrange DRRT-12 better than the TGT-12s.

Use HARD shot!

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"...And personally, I like the Downrange DRRT-12 better than the TGT-12s."</i></blockquote>I used to prefer the DR copy myself until I discovered by accident that there was a observable advantage afterward to breaking the petal stitches on the TGT-12 before sticking them in the loader

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington powder nitro