1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder Humidity

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

My reloaders sit in my attached garage. I reload all four gauges and move reloaders from the bench to a shelf where they sit for days/weeks at time. I don't empty the powder bottle when I'm finished reloading a particular gauge - and there is almost always some powder left in the bottle. Since I suffer the cold of Indiana ( notwithstanding global warming ) there is a relatively high amount of humidity in the garage as is evidenced by the frost on my garage door windows.

What effect, if any, will humidity have on the powder left in the bottle and not used until the next reloading session for that specific gauge ? I assume capping the Mec powder bottle will not prevent moisture from getting to the powder since it can enter through the charge bar.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

fred- Nice answer. If humidity were a problem, it would arise during the Summer.

Pat Ireland

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The one thing humidity will keep at bay is the biggest problem a reloader has to deal with, static electricity. This is responcible for more "blooper" shells than anything else.

ec90t

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

amboy49, the effect you may see is the weight of the charge thrown from your identical setup may vary from day to day according to humidity. I wouldn't worry about it, because you are actually measuring the powder by volume. So the fact that water vapor condensed (dew point does not enter into the picture here) on your powder and skewed the weight does not affect pressure or velocity. It wasn't until I bought a chronograph and proved this to myself that I stopped worrying about changed throw weights because of changing humidity.

Pat came up with an interesting experimental result the last time this came up. Perhaps he will share it with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.