1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

powder for 1oz loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sharks, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharks

sharks TS Member

would like to know which powder would be best for 1oz load with win.AA hull,claybuster cb1100-12 wad and cheditte or win. primers and how many grains of powder

2. sharks

sharks TS Member

forgot to say that I was using Nitro 100 or Promo powder

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I like Clays and Solo 1000 in 1oz loads. Yuse their manual for the am't of powder.

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Promo.. 17 grains.. 1 oz. shot.. nice easy.. soft.. 16 yard or doubles

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

How fast do you want to go? I use a lot of Promo. The data is readily available at www.alliantpowder.com. Choose your components and choose the velocity and look for reasonable pressures (Around 9500 PSI or less). You then should make up a box of shells and see how they work. I usually freeze half the box and leave the reat at room temp. I then test them for velocity over a chronograph to see how they perform in the cold. Depending on how fast you want to go, Clay Dot is another good powder. American Select or E3 will do too. If price is a concern, you will have a hard time beating Promo. Clay Dot is also pretty reasonable and decent for light to moderate 1oz loads.

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

Titewad is another good option.

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

+1 for 17 gr of Promo. I load it in Remington hulls behind a DRRT12 wad with 1oz hard 8s and use NobelSport primers. Gives me ~1150 with enough pressure for a clean consistant burn. According to the book ~8,500psi. Great load, soft and breaks birds hard.

--- Chip king ---

8. sharks

sharks TS Member

Yea I was using Nitro 100 then I seen the price difference between that and Promo so I thought I would give it a try but I couldn't find much info on it and 1oz loads but 17gr. does look right so I'll load some up tomorrow. Thanks.

9. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Promo is good if your using a break open gun. Claydot is my go to for 1 oz loads in an auto. For me Promo, is a little too dirty for my auto but no problem in my break opens guns.. BTW...Promo uses the same data as Red Dot.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Clays

700X

Titewad

Titegroup (if you want speed)

11. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

I vote solo 1000. very soft powder and u can get great speed out of it. BYG

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Alliant Claydot!

MK

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Faster burning powders work a little better in light loads. There are many good ones available. I use American Select because that is what I use for my singles loads but other powders will do just as well.

Go to the on line Alliant Web Site and you can find several excellent powders for 1 oz loads. Promo is the least expensive. Clay Dot, e3, Red Dot and American Select work well. The new Extra Light could be a good choice. I have no experience with this powder yet.

Pat Ireland

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Mike, where did you get Extra Light at that price?

I see around a hundred bucks.

HM

15. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Clays or Clay Dot 17.5gr
    I will use the new Extra -Lite 15.5gr for the cold weather. So far it working good.
    Remington hulls downrange 1 oz wads and Remington primes.

I got my Extra-lite at the PA State shoot. Alliant had a special going on. If you buy 2 8 lbs jug you got a fee shell bag. I think I paid $170 for the 2 8# jugs.

16. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Alliant E-3, 18 grains, drownrange 1 oz wad, win primer, aa hull. You will not even know you shot anything through the barrel very, very, clean burning.

17. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

I'll add my experience with new Extra-Lite and 1oz at 1150fps (GC/TGT/Cheddite). It throws very consistant thru the MEC (+/- 0.1gr) and feels just as consistent. (I do not chrono my loads but one reporter did and found vel. to be very consistent.) It leaves virtually no residue in barrel - just some fouling at the forcing cone area. Perceived recoil is somewhat sharper than my usual 1 oz powder - Promo; I will attribute this to faster burn/pressure curve. Oh, and at a 15.5gr charge weight, somewhat more economical than the rest of the Alliant stable

18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

700X is what I use.

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

CLAYS
    Red Dot
    PROMO
    700X

All excellent for 1 Oz trap loads. Get the specific loading data from the manufacturer. (not here)

20. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

700X, MEC #29 bushing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1oz loads for 700x in aa hull

best 1oz titewad loads

best 1oz trap loads

titewad 1150fps 1oz trap loads