1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder Drop with Promo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by supersenior, Dec 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supersenior

supersenior Member

I've been loading with a MEC 650 with a multi scale in lieu of the bushings.Clays powder has been excellent in terms of accurate powder drops.I thought I would give Promo a try,since it's so economical.
    Does anyone have problems with inconsistent drops with the multiscale?
    Any tips or further suggestions.

Borden Zazinsky
    Mississauga,Ontario

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I have inconsistent drops with Promo and bushings. Baffles don't help with Promo.

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

It has been suggested that keeping the powder bottle full will lead to more consistent drops with Promo.

I have had no problems loading it whatsoever.

4. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

No problem at all with Promo, I use a powder baffle and every time I scale a drop it's 17.5 on the money. I don't use a multi scale, use #30 Mec bushing. I do recheck every time I open a new keg. Promo is my favorite 1oz powder.

JohnR

5. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Please try Claydot for singles and doubles loads. You'll love it. Use Green Dot for 1290fps HDCP. Buy American, even though I have three K guns. Problems? Call Obumnuts.

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Try rolling the jug around before you open it to re-mix it a little I think sometimes it may "settle" in shipment, anyway I do this & get quite consistent drops. Promo does vary from jug to jug so always weigh a few drops when opening a new jug. Ross Puls

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

Promo has always been as consistent as any other powder for me in my MECs, PWs and now my Spolar. Some lot to lot variation but no more than I have seen with some other powders. No big deal since I always check throw weights every time I open a jug of ANY powder. I used the multi-scale bar in my MECs for a while but went back to bars and bushings because I felt they were more consistent in general and simpler to set up and use.

--- Chip King ---

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I keep my powder bottle no less than 3/4 full all thye time for better drops.

GB
    DLS

9. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

You probably know this, but just in case. Make sure you move the adjustment knob the correct direction on the final move. Mine calls for a final counterclock movement, some older bars call for a clockwise movement.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Spacegun: The final adjustment should always be toward the lightest powder and shot charge so it does not let the pressure and use increase the shot or powder charge, I have always done this, it was just the common sense thing to do.

I try to let my common sense make the final offing and suggestion, it may be in conflict with others but I trust my judgement, and I hope others take this in consideration.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

It certainly seems as if Promo gets a lot of bad raps. I've been using it for singles and doubles since it came out...also for 7/8 fun loads. I check my drops fairly often and my beam scale seems to always be +/- 0.2 grain or better, which doesn't make a bit of difference. You can't chrono them that close and it would probably be as good or better than most factory loads. I'm using three 12 ga machines, one each for 7/8 oz (hydraulic 9000), 1 oz. (Mec Auto-mate), and a plain old grabber for 1 1/8 oz with Green Dot. No difference in the drop variation with any of them. Yes, I do check the drops with every new container opened and occasionally go up or down one bushing with either Promo or Green Dot.
    For any of you that don't have the required confidence in Promo powder, I'd gladly take it off your hands for, say, $6.00 a pound. Let me know. Please respond to this by PM. Thanks...

Larry
    Redding, CA.

12. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Like Ross says, rolling the powder keg around to remix the powder helps with consistency of drops. My adjustable bar drops fine with PROMO.

13. mike2010

mike2010 TS Member

I've been loading Promo now for 2 years and love it for my 7/8 and 1 oz loads,I use a 29 and 30 bushing in my 9000 G and have not had any more variations with promo than any other powder that I have used. Its the best powder I've found for the money. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.