1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder Drop Problem with MEC 8567 Grabber

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Charlie Leavitt, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie Leavitt

Charlie Leavitt TS Member

I am trying to reload Federal Gold Medal hulls with 1 1/8 onces of shot and 18 grains of Red Dot powder. The charts say that a MEC #30 bushing should yield 17.8 grains of Red Dot. However, when I measure the powder drop on my RCBS electronic scale I get 16.2 - 16.5 grains. I've measured thirty powder drops and they are always in this range.
    I am VERY new at this and need help. I've adjusted the nut on the automatic charge rod so that the powder bushing is centered under the powder bottle position when the charge bar is fully over to the left. Are there other things I should be doing?
    The #32 bushing seems to yield about 18.2 grains but, as I said, I am new at this and reticent to deviate from published recipes.
    Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Charlie

2. Seitz Shooter

Seitz Shooter Member

I found that that bushing recommendation was not accurate.

Use the bushing that gives you the correct powder charge according to your powder scale.

Adios, Dirk

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Agreed. Because of lot to lot differences, there is some "lawsuit protection" built into the bushing charts.

Also progressive machines and single stage will each throw differently from the same bushing.

HM

4. LMac

LMac TS Member

Charlie, you will find that is the rule of thumb for mec bushings, just a protection factor built in. I have just been loading about a year now and always have to go two sizes larger to get the drop I want. I have now started sanding out the inside of the bushing to get exactly what I want.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you are going to alter bushings, cross out the number. I would rather put a little tape in a bushing that was too big. Somewher3e down the line that altered bushing might cause a problem.

HM

6. LMac

LMac TS Member

You will also find that the charge bar will throw light on the shot also. Good thing I don't have a mill machine! LOL

7. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

In addition to the bushing checks mentioned above, make sure your charge bar is travelling all the way to the left. I found my light loads were caused (somewhat) by the charge bar not travelling far enough to allow a full drop of the powder. Best Regards, Ed

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Many years ago I called MEC when I found that their recommendations were considerably off from my powder scale. The scale was tested for accuracy. MEC's answer was that that the "lots" they used at the time of manufacture of the insert was what they showed for their product. MEC is a good honest company and anyone who reloads needs to measure every time they go to a new container. I found variations from lot# to lot#. The variance sometimes was great.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

You simply CANNOT use the bushing charts and consider them to be exact. There will almost always be some deviation. That is exactly why a good scale is most important and the practice of checking the powder drops is MANDATORY!

The other difference is that the Grabber is a progressive press. A single stage or non-progressive press will usually throw heavier charges. You did the right thing and weighed the charges. Use the bushing that gets you closest where you want to be. I'd rather be a little under than too much over if the pressures are on the high side for the listed load.

10. JLW

JLW TS Member

Make certain the screw which holds the charge bar in place is traveling all the way to the left (end of the slot). If not, even tho' you say the bushing is centered, you may get a light drop.-Jerald

11. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Buy a Universal charge bar and forgetaboutit.Weigh every 25th drop or so.You can make adjustments on the run without removing charge bars.You can dial in every lot or even 1/2 lot of powder or shot to perfection.They are only about $35.00 and you can get rid of your charge bars and bushings.Changing loads takes just minutes.This is an unpaid endorsment.

Darr

12. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I have found with my 650 MEC that when I hold down the handle until I reach for a wad with my right hand, the charge settles in the bushing and is much more consistent. If you have a habit of pulling the handle down and immediately lifting it, the powder simply does not have sufficient time to fill the bushing. Hope this helps!

13. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Andy44

I do a deliberate pause when I pull down the handle to insert the powder charge. I also watch the movement of the charge bar. If I go to fast, I sometimes get a light powder drop. I will try your method as it seems like a good idea.

Also, when loading shot larger than 7 1/2 (especially 5's), watch the shot drop as occasionally; the shot will hang up in the drop tube.

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Andy with my 650 I found the same to be true. For the fun of it I perchased a used bar with some bushings to try. I got my 650 w unichargebar. Switched back to the unibar. I load 16.5g Clays STS hulls TGT12 wad cci primer 1oz shot. So charlie if you go STS hulls try that bushing with clays. Its a nice soft shooting load. Been doing well with it back to the 21 so far. Also what I found. I had my mec mounted on a movable island bench. Was getting a lot of light heavy swings in powder charge. I have now moved to a heavy bolted down bench. Pulls are smooth and firm both powder and shot drops are more consistant. I check my charge after 50 shells and at every refill of bottle.The universal charge bar can get frustrating when trying to adjust. Do to the lash in the adjustment. I always adjust up. If Im heavy ill drop the adjuster down then go back up. I have had to do little adjustment after set up.

15. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

MEC is conservative on the "bushing" estimate.As said.....fine tune with a scale.I've found that the powder charge is usually 1 to 2 bushings less than MEC "estimates". One can understand why.....if someone without a scale goes strictly by MEC............BOOM.
    USE A SCALE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

i cannot get consisan shot and powder dropson my mec sizemaster

measuring powder charge mec grabber