1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

powder drop inconsistent

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gspointer, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gspointer

gspointer TS Member

I have a mec sizemaster. I just got some PB powder. My powder drop is going from 21.4grns to 23grns every other shell consistantly. It is supposed to be dropping 21.3grns. I have the rubber groumet and washer installed like it is supposed to be above the charge bar in the powder drop hole. Would anyone know what my problem is?
    Thanks for any help

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Static build up can cause that as well as other issues. What type of bar are you using? Adjustable bar or bushing bar?

3. gspointer

gspointer TS Member

Bushing bar

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

There is an after market powder baffle - it can be had in plastic or pot metal (do a Google search for 'MEC powder baffle').

Depending on the powder you are using either no baffle, the plastic one, or the metal - one will increase the consistency of the throw (I know it sounds weird, but different powders act differently with these baffles. E.g., Promo tends to like no baffle).

You might also try an antistatic dryer sheet (you can rubber band it to the outside of the powder bottle).

5. grntitan

I would try grounding your machine. Others have had sucsess in wrapping dryer sheets around the powder bottles to cut down on the static build up there. I have (2) MEC's but load on my old Pacific 366. When i used to use my MEC's i had once purchased aN adjustable bar and had swinging drop numbers as you stated which is why i asked which type bar. I have also found using an aluminum funnel for adding my powder as opposed to plastic cut down drasticlly on static build up in the powder tube.

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

PB meters like water and the red plastic baffle may/may not do much, but it's a good idea, anyhow.

The chances are 9 out of 10 your inconsistency comes from how you are operating your single-stage MEC. Sight unseen, your problem is vibration and not static.

You have to make a serious effort (when you start reloading at first) to do everything possible to avoid inducing extra vibration at any stage of the process.

Since the MOST vibration (and the most variation in how much virbation you get) comes from the decap/re-size/prime cycle, the very, very best loads from ANY single stage machine happen when you do hull-prep as a complete separate operation from loading.

Bob

7. grntitan

"Sight unseen, your problem is vibration and not static. " Very well could be especially if the table or workbench is not a very solid base.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

grntitan

Sounds like you just found the problem. get the loader on a solid bench and I'm sure your drops will be more consistent. Also, if grounding a loader, you should add a 1 Meg Ohm 1 Watt resistor in series. It will act as a current limiting device and make it unlikely that you could get connected to something that is NOT a ground and have a "live" press. Almost ALL ESD grounding devices have them built in. Saftey is the primary reason.

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

YUP! ...

Reloading 101: if 3 medium-size elephants cannot safely cavort upon your reloading bench ... it is not solid enough.

Thanks, GT ... I forgot that.

Bob

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

gspointer, First you may not even need the metal washer under the bottle. I only need it for the finest of powders, but I have not loaded PB so I don't know how well or not it leaks. Second Is your loader clamped or bolted to a sturdy table I can't see how you are getting that much varying of powder drops unless you are smooth on one drop and shake the machine hard on the next. I've loaded all kinds of powders in all 4 gauges and never seen that much difference. Do you notice alot of powder sticking to the side of your powder bottle??? If not than stactic cling is not the problem. Try lowering the handle 5 times then drop powder, and do that 10 times in empty hulls and check the drops. In the sizemaster you pull the handle 5 times for every powder drop you get. Do this while not loading and see how your drops are and what they average, be very consisant in the handle pulling and then get back and let us know. Your drops this way should be very consisant. Break-em all. Jeff

11. grntitan

Quack Shot---With all due respect, "goatskin" found the more than likely "true problem" i just repeated and acknowledged his well founded report. Only want to give credit where credit is due. Its all good though.

12. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Matt, thanks, but you sure gave me a 'duh!' moment ... I had completely forgotten rule #1 & 1a ... start with 'solid'.

All single-stg reloaders can produce perfect bullets, but there's some things you have to do to let them do so: A) table, B) batch process your hulls.

thanks for reminding me of #1 & #1a.

Bob

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

To expand a bit on Bob's probably correct explanation, the problem is variation in the vibrations. Altering the speed that the handle is pulled down will alter the amount of powder dropped. If you want consistent powder drops pull the handle down the same way each time.

Pat Ireland

14. gspointer

gspointer TS Member

Thanks guys, tonight ill try to limit the vibrations, this is probably the problem. I'll let ya know what i figure out.

15. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

How are you measuring the powder drops? The only way to measure powder drops on a single stage machine is to remove the case after you prime it and put it on your digital scale. Push the tare button. Place it back in the loader and drop the powder charge. Remove the shell and put it back on the digital scale and weigh the powder charge. Put it back on the loader and finish loading it. Discard the first weight done this way because the powder charge will not have been subject to the vibrations from seating the wad, dropping the shot and crimping the shell. This is called weighing the charge "in process". It is the only way to accurately measure the charge weight you are actually getting.

If you do not have a digital scale just dump the powder out of the shell, weigh it, and put it back in the shell and finish loading the shell.

Jim Skeel

16. gspointer

gspointer TS Member

Vibration is the problem for sure.
    Thanks guys

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Glad you got it worked out!!! Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.