1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder drop deviation

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by new loader, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

How much powder drop deviation do you tolerate? I am attempting to drop 17.5gr 700x, and my last 12 spot check weights averaged 17.65gr. That is good, but individual drops ranged from low of 16.9 to high of 18.2gr. Concern or not?

2. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I have grounded my loader with a copper wire to the loader and to the powder bottle. I also added a air rator (a fish tank device that adds air to the water for fish). With both it will get rid of the stadic and with the air rator it will vibrat the powder to a good load. Both improved the shells for me.

3. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

If I see more than .2 or .3 grains variation either way then I worry about it, otherwise I don't.

Scott

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

New loader, Yes your drops vary too much for 700X powder. I have used that powder before and that powder drops very consistly. Maybe .2 up and down for a total of about .4 or 5 at the most (you have l.3). Do you have a brand new loader? What type of loader? Do you use a powder baffle on the powder bottle? When you empty your powder bottle when done loading do the powder flakes tend to stick to the side of your Bottle? This last one will tell you if you have static elec. or not. This way we can help you out better to fix your problem. good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

5. bertonernie

bertonernie TS Member

Gar.

What is the best way to ground a reloader ?

6. new loader

new loader Member

More info: Loading on a Mec 9000. I am just starting a new jug and was checking lot variation. Loader is not grounded, but I see no evidence of static cling any time. No powder baffle used. When I start a new loading session, I tip the bottles back to "fluff-up" the powder and then check the next few shells.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

New Loader, that's too much variation for 700X. Besides static electricity, you must make every attempt to make exactly the same moves or actions during the loading process - try to use a consistent speed, stroke(s), and so on. And I do weigh the first two drops and correct their likelihood to be heavy but then checking every 50 or even 100 rarely finds my 700X loads off more than 2/10s of a grain up or down; typically more like within 1/10 above or below. Even weighing more often tends to increase my spread so at least try doing 10 shells operating the loader exactly the same then weigh one and do that for say 50 shells and see if they settle down to more accurate than you describe....breakemall...Bob Dodd

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Stop fluffing up your powder. Powder does not like to be fluffed up. Only skeet shooters fluff up their powder. After you pour your powder into the reloader tap the powder bottle a few times. You will see the powder level in the bottle go down. Once the powder has settled it is more compact because you have gotten rid of air trapped between the powder grains. You will now get better powder drops. HMB

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Use a baffle.

HM

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob Dodd gave good advice. Variations in the speed, and resulting vibrations,you pull the handle down will result in powder drop variations. A powder baffle can help put constant pressure on the powder column.

One member of our club consistently got very inconsistent loads from his press. Other club members would drop by his house and they got very consistent loads from his press. He was a nice guy but a jerky reloader. After he put on a hydraulic system on his press, everything was fine.

Pat Ireland

11. halfmile

A baffle has the characteristic of throwing lighter charges, since it simply isolates a small amount of powder from the weight of the supply.

If you are in the habit of emptying the bottle, you will have lighter charges at the bottom than you do at the top.

A baffle prevents this from happening, since the powder under the baffle is always the same.

Refill the bottle when it's only half empty and report back.

HM

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Some powders, like Bullseye, can react with the plastic powder bottle on some presses. I've had it destroy the plastic powder containers on a couple of powder measures used for reloading pistol. HMB

13. halfmile

Never had a [problem with Mec bottles. They do discolor after a couple years.

HM

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

Is your machine mounted to a solid bench? if the mount is not solid you will get inconsistency.

Trap4,
    Always empty the powder after a loading session. That does not mean running it to empty.

Don

15. gordy h

gordy h Member

I have the same problem, my 9000 G drops 15 to 17.5 of 700 X I have cling sheets, powder baffle, and try to watch my timeing on loading. I don't have any powder sticking to the bottle. I have been thinking of trying a differnt loader mine is only 6 mounths old,how do you ground the loader? thats my only hope.Or will differnt powder help? thanks Butch H

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I think the size of the powder flake makes a differance. For example: Green Dot will vary +/- 3/10's whereas Clays will be +/- 1-2/10 and ball powder almost zero. I've never kept track, just noticed the differance over years. Maybe the smaller powder packs better into the charge bar?

17. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Been doin' it for 35 years and consider myself having learned much. I do not use the add-on baffles - never gained anything but grief with them. I do not fluff the bottles before starting a session - never saw a need or even thought of it. I do not empty the powder or shot bottle at the end of a session - they remain and have done so in 4 garage settings in heat, cold, and hmidity. However, I do try to load until the shot and powder bottles are low by the end of a session. I do weigh the first two, maybe three loads at the beginning of a session and typically only the first is really off (up to 1 grain heavy). I do concentrate on making steady and consistent motions. And neither my H model MEC or the Grabber are grounded (except by the H model pump plug-in)....breakemall....Bob Dodd

18. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

New Loader,

Yes, a variation in powder drops of 1.3 grains from (high to low) is too much. I use a Hornady 366 and seldom have more 0.2 grains variation above or below the average.

I never "fluff" the powder and I never remove the powder from my powder tube. I don't have my loading press grounded either.

Try to be consistent in your motions of moving the handle SLOWLY up and down. Don't jerk it.

19. nipper

nipper TS Member

Quoting from my pw owners manual

"The importance of a steady, even motion in pulling the handle cannot be stressed enough"

Bill

20. IM390

IM390 Member

Talking with MEC this week because of variations of drop charges between my Grabber and a new Junior Mark V, Mec said that Grabbers and 9000 series do not agitate the powder in the same fashion as a single stage loader does. Therefore, progressives tend to throw light; single stage presses throw heavy.

Also according to Mec, ground the loader base/and or use clothes dryer anti-stat sheets around the powder bottle. Also pin prick with a small nail the powder bottle cap to relieve back pressure. You will notice a slight change of the drop weight when the bottle is less than half full.

I allow .4 grain variance in my loads. I do not shoot Maximum loads. I have learned over the years that better patterns are more important than speed that you really don't need anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.