1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder deposits/Lead /plastic ...removal?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I'm pretty good about swabbing out my barrels everyday after I shoot...although, I probably don't thoroughly clean my guns as often as I should.

I have all the usual stuff...bore snakes ( my least favorite), all kinds of rods, brushes, bore solvent and the list goes on..

Problem is...I'm not real enthused about any of them. There has to be a quicker or more efficient way....

I even have a copper brush on a stiff rod (military surplus) that I can use with a rechargeable drill. I'm not sure that's a great idea though...it generated heat very quickly. Believe it or not..you feel it in your hand on the outside of the barrells (28 ga.o/u) after just a couple of quick passes.

What are your short cuts...secrets ...or successful QUICK methods for keeping deposits from building up in your guns??? ...and "especially" for removing deposits after the fact?

Thanks and bests regards..Stan M.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Ed's Red or even straight mineral spirits. Make a couple of passes down the bore with a Ed's Red soaked 10 gauge bronze brush (for 12 gauge gun) let it sit about 5 minutes then swab with a denim patch on a good fitting jag then finally run a clean patch trough and your bore will be spotless and free of plastic. Done in about 10 minutes, minimal elbow grease and no power tools required.

Google Ed's Red for instructions on how to make it. It is cheap and effective but keep it off the wood.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Straight Acetone will quickly and easily clean anything in your barrel. It is one of the main ingredients of Ed's Red. Stoddard Solevent is another ingredient of Ed's Red that will clean your barrels fast. Both of these you do not want to get on your wood.

4. StansCustoms

Thank you gents..

Question...

I see it said often to make a pass with a soaked bronze brush...

I guess I haven't figured out how to soak bronze..lol. Any trick to actually getting the brush in the barrell before the liquid runs off..and all over you, the gun, floor etc....but little in the barrell?

I have wrapped a patch around a brush...that's much better..but still very sloppy.

I stock acetone all the time (retired garage owner)...that's the main ingredient? Removes everything? If so that's a big help...no damage to bluing if some gets on it, I would think..correct?

I have tried a naptha based parts cleaner ...(from my transmission vat). But it doesn't quite do the job.

Thanks..Stan

5. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

At your next gun show, buy a small amount of GUNZILLA!

I was given some by a friend, and I can tell you it really cuts plastic and lead fouling, along with burnt powder deposits.

I put a small amount on a patch or swab, and coat the inside of the barrel, then let soak. I drop an extra amount on the ports and it really cleans them, too.

Most all will come rolling out with a light brushing, and repeat as necessary.

It also coats the barrel and prevents future build-up. I

---Be careful not to get this on plastic cleaning tools(toothbrushes, etc.) as it will eat them up---

6. WJN

WJN TS Member

Ditto on the Ed's Red. It will dissolve plastic and powder buildup faster than a bream will hit a cricket. Use a brush like a jag with a patch over it.

Jim

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Acetone won't hurt the bluing although you should oil the surface thoroughly after using as it will leave it vulnerable to rust.

8. Wildcat Lewis

Wildcat Lewis Member

Stan

If the gun your cleaning is a break open or removable barrel put 2 gallons of plain mineral spirits in a 5 gallon bucket. Take the barrel off the gun, stick the chamber end down into the mineral spirits and let it soak while rounding up your other needed items and or while the air compressor is building pressure. Roll up a paper towell that will fit tight into the chamber end and dip it in the mineral spirits then tamp it throught the barrel with a 5/8 dowel rod and repeat if needed to get the major junk out. Then while inside of barrel is still wet stick an air hose in the chamber end and blow out the rest of the junk. (this part is best done outside)! Then stick the choke end of barrel into the mineral spirits and give it a couple passes with a wire brush while choke end is sumerged. Repeat with bore mop. Squeaky clean in 5 minutes and ready for a light oil patch. Sit a top on the bucket to keep dust and dirt out and its good for several cleanings.

9. StansCustoms

Now we're talking...Darn good idea Wildcat..

That would allow some serious soaking/cleaning in a short time...plus submerged scrubbing with a bore brush.

I have a couple of new plastic 5 gallon gear oil buckets with lids, that would work great for that...without possibility of scratching the barrels.

Good idea..!!!

For what those little bottles of bore scrubbers cost...it wouldn't take many of them to buy several gallons of mineral spirits.

Hmmm..think I'll drop by Sherwin Williams tomorrow and just buy a fiver and be done with it...

Thanks for the great idea..and to "everyone" who posted their methods as well!

Many thanks and Best regards..Stan

10. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

I recently got back from a "High Volume" dove hunt in Argentina. I put 86 boxes of 3" 410 shells through my Superposed. I'm still scrubbing on my barrels and haven't gotten all the crap out yet.

I'm having the most success with ISSO Bore Paste....followed by Shooters Choice....then back to ISSO Bore Paste.

And yes, I've used a little Ed's Red along the way too; but it's been less effective.

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I used to mix up "Ed's Red" with several variations. Waste of time and money, nothing magical there. It doesn't dissolve plastic. The most efficient way it to chuck the rod in a drill with a brass brush. Use any of the ingredients in Ed's Red and run the brush down the barrel. Never noticed any heat but I don't run the drill on high speed either.

Drop a wad into a cup of acetone and report back on the results.

12. Quick 1

Quick 1 Active Member

I did as Johnny suggested and am reporting back! After 3 hours of soaking the DRXL wad in acetone, the effect was Zip! Tried lacquer thinner and stoddard solvent with the same results. Looks like you could build a boat of this plastic and float in these chemicals the rest of your life!

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Straight Acetone will quickly and easily clean anything in your barrel. It is one of the main ingredients of Ed's Red. Stoddard Solevent is another ingredient of Ed's Red that will clean your barrels fast. Both of these you do not want to get on your wood."</I></blockquote>Ed's Red doesn't need all the acetone it has in it. The formula calls for it to be 25% of the mix but it works fine at 10% (10 oz each of Stoddard, kerosene and auto trans fluid and 2 oz of acetone). Stoddard Solvent is nothing more than de-sulphured mineral spirits. It's Kingsford Charcoal Lighter fluid...obsolete dry cleaning solvent. Unless your gun has an oil finish, Stoddard shouldn't hurt it.

Ed's Red is an old formula and acetone doesn't attack polyethylene like it did the old plastics. 2-butoxyethyl acetate (the active ingredient in Shooter's Choice Shotgun and Choke Cleaner and Brownells Sabot Solvent) WILL melt wad plastic. I don't get much plastic deposit in my barrels but I DO occasionally soak a patch with Shooter's Choice, wrap it around a bore brush and swab the barrel to soften plastic before I commence cleaning with Ed's Red/

Keller

14. vpsr6

vpsr6 Member

Not sure if this is a new product or not but I just found it at my local sports store, it is Remington Bore Cleaner 40x (white squeeze bottle) the best stuff by far I have ever used just dissolved plastic and cleaned the barrels with little effort with just a squirt on a standard brush, I was amazed and you don't have to make it in your basement.
    Vic

15. StansCustoms

....I haven't done the thinner thing yet, funeral and other distractions since my last post.

Sound like some of you have poor results with similar cleaners though.

I don't guess that surprises me a lot..as I have similar experiences.

I shoot alot...almost as much as a Argentina Dove hunt. So I'm really looking for somethig that works better than all the stuff I've tried up till now.

Wildcats idea is a new twist with an old cleaner. With the barrell submerged and a drill driven bore brush it may work well because of the submersion AND the actual scrubbing action. I expect the thinner will act like a lubricant and a rinse at the same time if the barrell is mostly submerged when scrubbing.....and act as a coolant as well. ( well at least half the barrels submerged...then turn it upside down and do the other submerged end)

I think that the bore brush I was using in the rechargeable drill (on low speed) may a have been a generic brush used for both 20 gauge and 28 gauge...pretty snug in a 28 gauge.

I'm going to look for a 28 gauge brush only...maybe with flimsier brissels. A drill driven brush submerged in thinner "should" get some fast results I hope.

Still interested in everyone's input...keep it the ideas comming..

Thanks Stan...

16. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

About a year ago, one of my buddies gave me a half bottle of RGS Bore Stripper. This stuff completely removes wad residue and with a cyclone brush it will take any lead tailings out as well.

Subsequently, I purchased my own supply of RGS.

Nice Stuff.

I put their URL up above...

17. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Stan, I use the stiffest bronze brush I can find. Squirt some wd40 down the barrel and run the brush through the barrel on low speed with a cordless drill. It removes everything in the barrel and choke. About 15 seconds . Squirt in more wd40 and push a paper towel through. There is just no need to fight this and soak anything with harsh and expensive chemicals .

18. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Aahhh, if Frigon cleaner still existed..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rgs bore stripper

will acetone melt plastic sabots