1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder Density

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeeljc, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Life (reloading) would be a lot easier if the powder manufacturers would publish the density of their powders. That way you could calculate the exact bushing size needed to drop the required charge.

Jim Skeel<BR>P/W Dealer/Distributor

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I find it easier to alter bushings with a rat tail file to increase capacity and painting the inside with fingernail polish to reduce capacity. I use MEC bushings which are easily available and inexpensive.

Powder density varies from lot to lot, some powders like Promo vary a lot.
    As a result, I weigh my charges at the beginning of each reloading session.

Even with an accurate density chart, your desired charge weight would IMO would not always result in a specific bushing size.

Don't trust a mathematical calculation to determine charge weight. Use a scale.

I used to use an adjustable charge bar in my MEC loaders but, as the late Pat Ireland recommended, I have more confidence in altered bushings.

Ed Ward

3. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Jim I saw a chart, here, I think; but wouldn't burn rate give some indication?

Best...mike

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I have a pdf file with powder densities for 152 powders. PM an email address and I'll send it on.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Here is a chart that shows densities. NOTE, #44 WSF is backward on the chart.

Wayne

6. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Spoiled with my adjustable MEC charge bar!

Why not drill and tap a bushing side hole and use a "precision-adjustment" set screw for adjusting a bushing volume? http://www.mcmaster.com/#set-screws/=k7aufe

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Errr ... ahhh ... ahmm ....

why not go by this chart that Whiz White has set up on his site?

http://www.swsupply.com/downloads/BushingChart.pdf

9. willing

willing Member

You guys who file bushings what do you do with Promo which can change every can???
    Bill

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Bill:

I don't reload Promo. Due to wide variations in Promo density, I would be tempted to use my adjustable charge bar. I reload Green Dot, Red Dot, E3 and Herco which have small variations from time to time. For these, I either file away a little more metal of paint some of the inside of the bushing with fingernail polish.

If I did reload Promo, I would try to buy 4 8# containers from the same lot at a time as it should be consistent within the same lot. Still, I always weigh the powder charge when I begin a reloading session. I drop several charges before I weigh 3 charges. I use a Pacific balance beam scale so I simply eyeball the weight readings.

Ed Ward

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.