1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder creep in Fiocchi hull

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yakimaman, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I took the posted advice on my previous question (wad for fiocchi case) and bought the 12SO. The crimp is good and everything looks ok except I still have powder creep around the base of the wad. These are brand new, clear, skived, primed Fiocchi cases from Ballistic Products via Midway. I thought the 12SO was the "default" wad for straight cases but they don't seem to work in these. Load is 19.6 of Green Dot and 1 oz of number 8. 500 cases and a bag of wads wasn't a huge investment but I hate to toss it because I can't get it to work out. Any suggestions?

2. 100straight

100straight Member

Why does this worry you? For years my primary trap load was Federal Gold Medal hulls, Winchester pink wads, and 1-1/8 ounce of shot. This load was shot by a lot of top shooters with excellent results, but with the small diameter wad there was undoubtedly a lot of powder getting up alongside the wad. However, when the powder behind the wad ignites it is going to drive the wad past any powder that has gotten up alongside the wad, and then that powder will burn too. So, in the end, all the powder gets burned behind the wad as intended.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

3. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Maybe the problem is the clear hull - If I'd bought the brown ones all would be ok (can't see it, it ain't there)

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The question is how MUCH powder creep and when is it occuring. If it happens during the loading process, slow down a bit when seating the wads and see if that helps. Might also be a little powder on the tube of the hull due to static cling. If it happens after the shells are loaded, then you would be looking at the hull/wad fit. If it's a half dozen granules of powder or so, consider it normal, provided it doesn't increase with handling. The problem here is that you can "see" through the Fiocchi hulls. Try looking through most other hulls. I'm sure there is a little powder "migration" in Winchesters, Remingtons, Federals, etc. The only time I ever notice it is when using the lighter color Estate hulls or the Fiocchi hulls. The only time it's been something to think about is when it's pronounced and continues when the hulls are handled. Sometimes a little more wad seating pressure can help to get a better seal. Undersized wads are usually the culprit when there is a lot of powder migration. The issue happens more or less sometimes, depending on how fine the powder granules are. Green Dot, Red Dot, Promo, etc with flat flakes seem to do this normally.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I think Quack Shot nailed it. If you handle the shells and no more powder migrates up the sides it was likely cause during loading. Heck roll 'em around in your hand and turn them over and see if the powder migration worsens. I know from cutting apart new shells that even they have some migration of powder. If its like Quack said and very minimal, it won't amount to squat. Test some loads and i'll bet they work fine.

6. 3357

3357 Member

I shoot clear Fiocchi factory loads and there is always a few granuals of powder around the base of the wad (gas seal(s)). The wad they use looks like the "trap commander" from Ballistic Products. The shells work fine. Hope this helps. Jess

7. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have loaded the Fiocchi hulls. I like to use the Ballistic Products wads. Precision Reloading(???) has them also.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot them, evaluate them, then decide what to do. HMB

9. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Powder migration occurs because the American wads have too small a diameter to completely match the Fiocchi case diameter. Large flake powder helps.

Since this seems to be of concern here, using a B&P or Gulandi wad will solve the problem. A 12S0 wad will still leave (static caused) powder particles on the case side as it's seated on the powder. Wads for compression style cases are much worse. A Euro wad will push the powder down. Doesn't seem to take much: the diameter difference is only about 11 thou. See the wad chart dimension above. I've used thousands of the 12S0 and Downrange equivalents and as long as the shells are handled carefully, they've broken targets quite well.

That few thousands diameter difference raises pressure. If you use these wads, be sure to follow the recipes listed in the wad packing or purchase the Ballistic products loading manual for additional recipes.

It's too bad the Euro wads are relatively expensive. They are available from ballisticproducts.com, Grafs.com and Precisionreloading.com.

- - Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fiocchi clear skived hulls