1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder cost?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

Any one know the going price for 8 lb. of Clays? Some old stock at a local shop and I need to know if it's a deal worth taking. 8 lb. is a lot for me, especially at the end of the shooting season.

Bruce

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Recobs is where I buy and it is 106.00

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Is there some (Clays 8lb kegs) available again?

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Some came in last week!!

5. capvan

capvan Active Member

As I said, old stock. Tucked waaaay back on the shelf. $140 for 8 lb. I think I'll pass on it.

Bruce

6. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Forget Clays....go with American made ClayDot for $91.50 @ Powder Valley. Do a "group buy" with some of your shooting buddies to offset the HazMat and shipping charges.

AndyH ;-)

7. capvan

capvan Active Member

Except that Powder Valley (and most other places I've checked) are out of stock. Is the availability worth the extra $$? THAT is the question...

Bruce

8. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

There is always Promo @ $81 a jug! Have used a bunch and found it to perform GREAT!

AndyH ;-)

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Had to wait 3 months to get a container of 700X and after 20+ years I almost went back to Red Dot which is always available . That would be my next choice when powder get scarce again . 700X was $105

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

OLEO: I checked with 5 major suppliers today: No Clays in stock.

11. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

timb99 , IMR makes 700X not Hodgden. They make Clays. I got 2 containers of 700X yesterday as in my statement . I owed 1 to a friend for lending me his so I could keep on reloading .

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

ljutic111

Hodgdon owns and distributes IMR Powders and Winchester Powders. Here's and excerpt from their "Company History" page. http://www.hodgdon.com/history.html

To better serve our reloading customers Hodgdon Powder Company continues to grow. Hodgdon purchased IMR® Powder Company in October 2003. IMR legendary powders have been the mainstay of numerous handloaders for almost 100 years. IMR powders continue to be manufactured in the same plant and with the same exacting performance criteria and quality assurance standards that shooters have come to expect.

In March 2006, Hodgdon Powder Company and Winchester® Ammunition announced that Winchester® branded reloading powders would be licensed to Hodgdon. Winchester smokeless propellants, the choice of loading professionals, are available to the handloader to duplicate the factory performance of loads from handgun to rifle and shotgun.

Mash the link at the top of the page and look at the first press article about powder availability, dated June 9, 2009. Here's the text:

Why is there a powder shortage and when will it end?

June 9, 2009

For Immediate Release

The answer is really quite simple. In November 2008 a liberal government was elected by the majority of voting Americans. Beginning the next day some of our fellow shooters began to purchase and stock-pile powder, primers, bullets, brass, ammo and guns. Soon word spread person to person and with the ease of communication through the internet enough shooters ran to join in that an unprecedented demand has occurred.

Literally within weeks - before the end of November, the distribution pipeline was empty and demand far outstripped supply. The manufacturers of our industry, including Hodgdon® Powder Company, ordered new supplies trying to meet customer needs. We have been working at maximum capacity since that time.
    There is no more capacity to make powder. We are currently making all burn speeds of Hodgdon®, IMR® and Winchester® powders. We are shipping these powders as soon as they are made and packaged. We are shipping every day.
    Some will ask why we do not build more plants. The answer is simple, time. There is no time to build the plant before the unprecedented demand for powder slows down.

I have received calls from shooters who have heard all kinds of rumors why powder is so hard to find. These rumors are not true; there is no vast government conspiracy, the military is not buying up all of the powder and other components, we are not withholding powder from the market, no ships carrying powder are being held hostage by pirates, there is no magic chemical we are being forced to include in the powder which would shorten the shelf life.

When will the demand end and powder become available again? Who knows? Your guess is as good as ours. We have not found it possible to determine the end of this buying and hoarding as purchasing is being driven by emotion. The best advice is just be patient. As soon as the market relaxes the supply chain will fill back in and your favorite powder will come to your local store.

13. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

14. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Found one 25# keg of Solo 1000 for $229.99 last week these are getting hard to find. Not the price which is great, but not sure if they still make 25# kegs anymore. But the closest price I found was $279.00. I'll take it.

Rock

Jim

15. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Thanks for the History lesson which I was not aware of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.