1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POWDER CHOICES

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Schmo, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Schmo

Joe Schmo Member

I know that this topic is often covered, however; I am hoping for a simple approach to powder selection.

I have not loaded in many years, but I am about to start again. Powder has changed and there are many new ones available. I think Clays International was relatively new when I last bought powder.

I will be loading a 27 yard load, and a 1 ounce (or even 7/8's ounce) for my 11 year old.

I am thinking about Greed Dot for the handicap, and Red Dot for the light loads. Am I in the game with these? I WANT TO LIMIT MYSELF TO TWO POWDERS. I know there are dissenters about Green Dot on light loads. I am open to other suggestions, but simply put, I am not familiar with how many of the new powders perform their best.

I am looking for quality loads, not cheapest prices. My old powder was PB, and I might go back to that...

Thanks!

2. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Green Dot and Red Dot are great choices
    But then you knew that didnt you lol

Happy shooting...

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Green Dot and Red Dot are as good as it gets. If you are really looking to save some money and keep it to 2 powders, I might look at REX I and REX II. Both are as good as the above and are available at www.conniescomponents.com and you can get REX reloading data on www.rexpowder.com..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. bbourdage

bbourdage Member

I am a big fan of PB.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

International Clays and Clays are top choices that will definately meet your requirements.

6. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

For 7/8ths & 1 oz loads and up to 1200fps 1 1/8th oz 12 gauge loads, you should also consider Clays (Hodgdon) or Clay Dot (Alliant's "clone" of Clays)...both are very clean burning, consistent powders that meter very well. Each has a huge loyal following.

WNCRob

7. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I agree with wolfram and WNCRob. Clays is hard to beat. Some people are having trouble getting it though. I use clays only. I just change my powder bushings for the 27 yard line. I do not shoot at the 27 yard line often though. Only for shoot offs and buddy shoots etc. I got from a 32 mec bushing to a 34.

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Hodgdon lists four 'stretchable' powders from 7/8 through 1-1/8, and Alliant three or four.

You could Green-Dot it across the spread, easily, except it is a little nasty in light loads - shoots fine, tho.

It is hard to find anybody who has anything bad to say about Clays, and to some extent Clay Dot, also ... except Promo is cheaper.

If you get much cold weather, Clays or Universal are probably better all-weather powders.

GS

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I'd say that you can stick to Green Dot for the Caps and if the load isn't too light, it would work well enough for the 1oz loads. I would stay with decent primers. I've had trouble using the Fiocchi 616 in the 1 oz loads with many powders in cold weather. Red Dot, Clay Dot, or Promo would work well enough for the 1 oz loads, or even for 7/8 oz. Clays is a great powder for 7/8 or 1oz, but more expensive. I stay away from it in the 1 1/8 oz loads, especially anything over 1150 fps. The pressures start out too high for comfort. Add the effects of hotter temperatures in the summer, and Clays can develop some fairly high pressures. My general rule of thumb is Green Dot for 1 1/8 over 1150 fps, up to around 1225 fps. Red Dot or Promo for 7/8 and 1oz. I do shoot a 1oz load with Green Dot. It's 19.0 grains of GD, TGT12 Wad, Remington Hull, Winchester Primer, and 1oz of the best shot I can find. I use 8's and 8 1/2s in that load with great results.

I doubt that you could select a better pair of powders to work with than Red Dot and Green Dot. Clays, International Clays, and Universal Clays are just priced high enough for me to pass them up, except for occasional use. There is little or no advantage to using them and they cost more. Same for PB and the other IMR powders. Unique or Universal Clays will do for the 1250 fps loads with 1 1/8 oz. You could stretch Green Dot up there, but it's sometimes a bit towards the higher pressures. I like my guns AND my nerves, so I try to keep the pressures within reason (under 10,000 PSI not "LUPs").

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

A powder that will do 1 ounce and 1-1/8 ounce loads quite well is Hodgdon Titegroup. No loads listed for 7/8 ounce, though.

For your young one, Winchester Featherlight Powder may be a good choice. You can load 7/8 ounce loads with this powder down at 1000 fps or so, and they work surprisingly well.

As noted above, Hodgdon Clays is an excellent powder for 7/8 ounce, 1 ounce, and slower 1-1/8 ounce loads.

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have grown found of CLAYs for just about every thing 7/8 to 1 1/8
    For me though. Its what ever is on the shelf when I need powder
    usually Clays,reddot,greendot also when I order through the club it is a crap shoot. You get one of the above or nothing. Promo is still a mystery here. Never on the shelf of local guys and always a no-go when ordering.

12. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

I currently like AA Lite for 7/8 and 1 oz loads and PB for 1 1/8. Did not get consistent loads with 1 oz PB. Both meter extremely well. 7/8 oz are great for grandkids. D Winter

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Joe, you don't say what you are looking for in a 27 yard load. If you don't mind loading to 10100psi pressures, you can simply stay with Red Dot.

Here are some great loads using Red Dot and STS or Gun Club hulls.

STS209 or W209 primer, 17gr Red Dot, 12S0 wad, 7/8oz shot for 1200fps @ 7200psi.

STS209 or W209 primer, 18gr red Dot, TGT-12 wad, 1oz shot for 1200fps @ 8700psi.

STS209 or W209 primer, 19gr Red Dot, Fig-8 wad, 1 1/8oz shot for 1200fps @ 10100psi.

Back all these loads off by 1gr for 1150fps.om Alliant (please double check).

I don't normally reload to 10,000psi, so I would personally use Green Dot for 1200fps 1 1/8oz loads at anything over 1150fps.

STS hull, w209 primer, 19.1gr Green Dot, Fig-8 wad and 1 1/8oz shot is a stunningly good 1150fps load. Bump to 20gr for 1200pfs @ 8600psi.

You can save quite a few bucks by using Promo (in warm weather) instead of Red Dot.

14. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

You almost have it but i think that instead of red dot you try promo. The pressures are consistent with red dot and so are the velocities and also it is cheaper and in my opinion cleaner. Some opinions may differ but you have the handicap in green dot. Good choices, but you should definitely try the promo.

15. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

My 2 cents, if you found you liked PB over Green Dot back then, stick with PB.

700X will cover the range from light 24 gram/7/8 oz loads to 1 1/8 oz 1250 f/s loads.

I like Clays for my 1 oz practice 16 yard and 1st shot doubles and International for my 1200 f/s hcp and 2nd shot doubles load. The meter more consistently than Red and Green Dot.

FYI, Remington STS/Nitro hulls are now the best hulls to reload with. The Remington discount shells, Gun Clubs, etc are not bad. The main difference from the premium hulls is that they have steel bases and some of them have 6 pt crimps. The Win shiny red and dark gray AA hulls are no longer 1 piece.

Jason

16. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Last three posts have it right on for me...

I use Promo for the one oz loads and Green Dot or 700x for 1-1/8 loads!

As long as you check the drops Promo cannot be beat for price on one oz loads. I've used 32lbs and will be looking to get another 16 soon.

Win or Wolf primers have been working great in STS & old AAs..... but primers might be what you can find soon!

SW

17. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Joe, follow your original plan or adopt one from this thread. There's no difference. The patterns are the same and the cost difference is insignificant in the great scheme of things. Shoot what you think will work best and you can't go wrong. On the other hand, you could follow a reloading guide and pick something you don't think looks good at all and that will work just as well in the long run. If it makes a proper-looking shell, no bulge, no void in the crimp, you are good to go.

I look at the thousands of combinations in a reloading guide and think "You know, trapshooters are no fools and exchange a lot of information; if any one of these was really any better it's all anyone would shoot; word would get around and we'd all crowd in." Just the fact that there _are_ reloading guides with so many combinations is evidence that they are all the same, in the long run.

But I'd still use Green Dot for handicap. And Red Dot for the rest.

Neil

18. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

I see another mention about promo vs. red dot in this thread....

ZZT... Why do you suggest promo only in warm weather?

I have been using red dot for all loads for quite some time but am tempted to try promo next time, was wondering about the "warm weather" only comment. Is this not a year round, do it all powder like red dot?

Mr. Mark

19. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I purchased a bunch of Solo 1000 about three years ago (when I had a job) by a bunch I mean four 25 pound kegs. The dealer was getting out of most powders and sold it at his cost , or so he said. Anyway at $110.00 per keg was a great price I called the boss (she-who-I-must-obey) and got OK'ed . She wanted another instrument and was her excuse to get it so we were both happy.

I have tried a lot of powders and this was and is the cleanest one for the load I use. Meters great for me, some have had problems I have not. It is average recoil and and is very consistent from shell to shell in sound, feel, and I have never had a shell loaded with Solo 1000 ever give me a problem. That is one less thing to worry about when I am on the line shooting.

Batch to batch weight will vary but the each batch is very consistent and the three kegs I have left are all the same batch.

Powder is a personal choice use what you like, what ever gives you confidence, it will do it's job if you do yours.

I have never heard of a brand of powder being used as an excuse but it might work at that.

Rock

Jim

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Joe Schmo- Your first suggestion of Green Dot and Red Dot are excellent choices.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.