1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder choices

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

I need to buy more powder and I am wondering is there that much difference in the recoil you feel if you shoot any of the brands as long as you keep the loads under 1150 fps? I shot clays before I got 16 lbs of Titewad for a great deal. I have used that up and now trying to figure out what to purchase. I shoot a mod 12 trap. I have several O/U but I do not shoot them as well. Therefore, I like to stick with the lighter softer loads.I do not shoot registered I shoot for the mere pleasure of shooting a shot gun. I shot 1 1/8 oz now that shot has dropped in price. Thoughts appreciated

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I shoot an 870TA and an 870TC. If you primarily shoot practice, I would stick with 1 oz. for light recoil. A 1 oz. load is fine for 16 yard and short handicap.

My favorite 1 1/8 oz. load uses a Federal GM plastic hull, 19.3 of Alliant Green Dot, Federal F209A primer, 12S3 wad and 1 1/8 of Lawrence magnum 8 shot. It is around 1145 fps and shoots soft and really hits hard.

In a STS hull, the Alliant web site lists 19 grains of Green Dot, Remington F209P primer and Fig 8 wad for 1 1/8 oz at 1145 fps.

IMO, the Green Dot and 1145 fps speed give a very soft shooting load in an 870 pump.

My 870's have overbored barrels and each weigh 9 lbs.

It is my understanding that M-12's, unless they have had barrel work, do not have overbored barrels. I can tell the difference when I use a standard barrel and an overbored barrel on my 870.

To me, the new Remington NP-27's have a soft recoil and really reach out when shooting games at 35 or more yards behind the house. This is 1235 fps and 1 1/8 oz of shot with (I think) a slower burning powder.

New Federal Paper 2 3/4 - 1 1/8 loads also to me shoot soft in my 870's.

Ed Ward

3. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Without recapitulating all the arguments, it seems to me that:

Given the same payload and same speed, a powder substitution can't make a perceptible difference in recoil. In fact, a slower powder means more mass to the ejecta and increases recoil, very slightly.

Nevertheless, some claim that it does make a difference. They point to the extended, flatter pressure curve. But the difference in combustion time (to supposedly "spread out" the recoil) is minuscule.

Personally, I'm more concerned with building an effective load that is in the middle range for pressure, i.e. below SAAMI maximum and yet high enough that combustion is efficient. (Somewhere in the region of 9,000 to 10,000 psi).

Just my opinion. I'm looking for this to be a long thread.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Stick with Titewad if you like it.

Great, economical powder.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm sure we will see the push Vs shove argument come up here but really when it comes to recoil, I can't tell a difference between the various powders when loaded to similar performance levels. Where I do feel a recoil reduction is in dropping the shot weight. A 1 Oz at 1150 to 1200 FpS is very comfortable and good for most trap shots until you get beyond the 25 yard line.

Titewad is a good powder, no reason to change. Clays and International Clays are good too.

You were talking about shooting trap for the pure enjoyment of shotgunning, well the 1 Oz loads are a pleasure to shoot and in many cases people become better shots using the lighter ammo simply for that reason. 7/8 Oz loads are fun too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.