1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

powder choice for back fence shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bob Mason, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Mason

Bob Mason TS Member

I'm debating between using Long Shot or UNIQUE for back fence loads.I am talking distances from 40-50 yards and further from the Trap House.Any suggestions on the pros and cons of both powders would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Mason

2. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I win my fare share from the back fence with Unique and fed. paper hulls with 1 1/8 oz of #6's.1330fps and low "FELT" recoil.The guy's that shoot longshot around 1400fps don't stay till the end!

3. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Now we are cooking. Finally a discussion about pot shooting, AKA "I'm not embarrassed to admit that some of my best friends are Pot Shooters". Longshot can have alot of recoil and it spits alot of sparks and gases out of ported barrels. However you can really get alot of speed out of it. I used to hate it when I loaded it for heavy 1 1/4oz 12 ga loads because it kicked like a mule. I really like Longshot 12 ga 1 1/8 oz loads with #6 shot. Other great long distance powders that I've used are IMR 4756 and Alliant Blue Dot for 12 ga 1 1/4oz loads. Some guys load paper hulls which tend to be softer shooting than plastic. Federal plastic Gold Medal hulls seem to have a slightly larger internal capacity than Rem STS/Nitro hulls or Win AA hulls. Federal primers are hotter and take slightly less powder than cooler Win or Rem primers. There are many different loads that work. In 410 pot shoots I used to use Win 296 but I didn't like powder leakage from the charge bar. I found Alliant 410 meter better and shoot cleaner than Win 296. In 28 ga pot shoots I like Alliant 20/28. It meters very consistently and has good speed.

4. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

I have used both for pot shoots, Longshot is what I ended up using.

I break my fair share of 4th and 5th man shots. My friend that gave me his load recipe nick named the load "Money Makers" and they have proven that at all the clubs we shoot at.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

First choice is Solo 1250, then Unique, and don't forget Herco. I never load more than 1 1/8 oz at no more than around 1300 fps. Point the gun at the right spot, and let the gun/load do the rest.

6. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Blue Dot gets my vote and I do OK.....GOOD LUCK

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

1 1/4 oz of nickle plated 6s' and enough Unique to get the old "pigeon load" is all you need. You can break the bank and not your shoulder.

8. VNVET

VNVET Member

Wow!!!! Lots of choices here

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

poacherjoe,

You and I have the same view about back-up shells. I shoot a similar shell, but with a different powder.

I only go to 1 1/4 shells when breaking distance goes beyond 80 yards.

It's a lot easier to break targets when you can keep your head down and focusing on the target.

ss

10. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Exactly!! The other powders work but you better have some sort of recoil system on the gun or your shoulder will give out! Herco is my second choice and 800X is next.I will "TRY" to prove my point at the Ca. state shoot where they do the porch shoots.I may have to go up in shot size for that distance.
    We tried using buffered loads but in the end they were not worth the trouble.I wish I could still get ahold of the old federal 2 piece "champion" wads.PJ

11. Bob Mason

Bob Mason TS Member

Thanks again to all that responded i will take all your thoughts into consideration.

Bob Mason

12. fordfan347

fordfan347 Member

800x here.

13. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

32 grains of 4756 with a red AA wad and 1 3/8 ounces of you favorite size shot. Very good.

14. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I second Hoosier Daddy's load. 31.5 to 32.5 grains of 4756, and either 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 ounces of 4, 5 or 6's works great. Can substitute a Remington SP or RP 12 for such loads also.

If you do your job, any of the loads Daddy or I talked about will do their job.

Good Luck and Have Fun with it.

John E.

15. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

Bob

1 1/8 oz is all you need 1 1/4 kicks to much for me. Come to the Kingsburg 3 day pot shoot if they have it this year and I will let you shoot some "Money Makers" from the porch.

Taken my fair share of shoots from there, 4th and 5th man shots to close the deal.

16. deadeye

deadeye TS Member

The new Alliant "Pro Reach" powder will out do Longshot and all. Should be available soon at 1400fps stores with good grouping. Nice pheasant powder maybe also.

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

poacherjoe, try Precision Reloading in Conn. for those wads.

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Longshot 34.4 grains 1 1/8th oz # 6s 1585fps

LONGSHOT ALL THE WAY BACK, ALL THE WWWAAAAYYYYYY BBBAAAACCCCKKK.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

my vote goes to 800X. 26 grains in a federal paper with 1 1/4oz of copper plated 5's. Remington SP12 wad and a noble sport primer. this shell will break a target from anywhere, just ask DR. Longshot. He has been beaten by it on numerous occasions. lol. BYG

20. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Beretta Young Gun, who wins more of those though?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.