1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

powder charge pellets?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have taken a lot of shells apart. I have yet to see this. This is from a remington universal lead game load. 1290fps 1oz #8. I took apart 5 more with the same results. Is this a new process or a moister problem. I have shot over a case of these with no issues. got them on sale at dicks sporting,,,,out of everything else. The white wad is from the universal and the green from a nitro 27 gold 1 1/8 oz # 7.5. the powder in the nitro 27 was very fine and metalic looking. <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

That's a fairly normal occurrence with a lot of powders. It's just the flakes sticking together from being compressed in the shell.

Jim

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Just the first for me, i have disected STS,Nitro,gun club, AA, sportloads, federals. I have been looking at the different wads and powders. currently im loading 1oz 7.5, 16.5 grains Clays, winchester waa12sl wads in sts and nitro shells with cci 209 primers. This is what i got with used MEC 650. reloading per hodgon load data. I really like how these shoot im getting crushing results. I ran 50str8 with my own reloads, that was a moment for me. I will be needing supplys soon.

4. stevea

stevea TS Member

I have taken a few shells apart to see what was in them. it seems to do that with the coarse powders just what jim said its from being compressed in the shell. steve

5. chanmarine

chanmarine TS Member

Very fine powder.....metallic looking........sticks together. In my case, it was Tightwad in STS hulls. Didn't hurt the performance though.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've seen the same thing in a few factory loads. It's nothing to worry about and something you don't need to duplicate either.

Your load sounds a little on the light side, but if it works, leave it alone!

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

My load per data is 1180fps. Hodgdon data. it actually calls for 16.3. but i couldnt get universal charge bar to drop 16.3 It would go 16 then 16.5 16. 16.5 so I left it at 16.5 and the drops are very consisitant. I do like this load. when i start shooting more hncp and gain some yardage ill step it up. Right now it conserves powder and shot.

8. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Old news, been that way forever, take a AA apart and see how compact a pill a ball powder can make.

9. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I took apart a gun club shell last night and found the same thing, at first I thought it was a new way of putting powder in them, but upon further examination I found that it was just the powder sticking together.

10. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

According to Hogdon, they are roviding "Tite Group" powder for the Remington nitros. It is a fine powder that does stick together under pressure, but apparently does not effect the perforance in the shell.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I keep finding these things and was wondering if they are used powder pellets. Can they be reclaimed? They don't seem to burn like the originals and they smell a bit odd too! If anyone is interested, I can sell you an 8lb container of these for half as much as Red Dot, plus shipping. I don't think HazMat fees would apply, since they appear to be used and not flammable.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

12. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Quack, do they taste like acorns and rye grass? Jeff

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Never tried tasting them. Couldn't get past the smell. Someone said they were smart pills. After eating some, you'd eventually figure out what they were and you'd be a lot smarter after that. I'm smart enough already, but if anyone wants some, I'll send a sample pack just for the shipping and handling charge.

14. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Father, forgive them. While they know what they do, they continue to do it anyway.

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Quack shot,

Those are raisinettes. Have a few. Yummy.

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

timb99

Can't be raisins. They don't dance and sing, and they don't have wrinkles! No sunglasses either.

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Mirage1 Joe I would but they are sold out everywhere i go! Are the new claybuster replacement wads any good for the tgt12s?

18. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

claybuster clones are 1/2 the remington wad. Jeff

19. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Half of what, price or quality? Claybuster says they have a tgt12 replacement, I just seen a picture of one on R&R ARMS.com It does not match picture on the claybuster flyer?

20. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

maclellan1911

The Remington TGT12S is great wad. The clone from Claybusters is just an OK wad. It will serve the pupose, but it isn't the original. I've used some and thought they worked alright, but they do appear to be slightly different. The targets I broke didn't know the difference and my scores didn't suffer either. I use 1oz loads for singles and like the Winchester WAA12SL and it's clones or the Remington TGT12S. The Claybuster TGT12 replacement is the CB8100-12 and the CB8118-12 is the Remington Figure 8 replacement. See the link above. They have a list of suppliers there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.