1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

powder charge/bushing on a 366 loader

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by teleskier, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teleskier

teleskier Member

I am using a 366 loader and using 700x. According to most data I have read, the #441 bushing should throw about 18gr and the #453 should throw about 19gr.

I get about 1 gr. less than that with each bushing. I know data is not real precise sometimes but one gr. seems like a lot of variance. Should I stop worrying and just use the bushing that gives me the charge I am looking for?

Also, sometimes the machine will throw a "light" charge of a grain or two less. This happens with and without the red powder baffles in the tube. Have any of you experienced the same thing? Possible causes?

Thanks in advance, Mike

2. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

What John said....

when I switch to a new load, I drop and weigh a half dozen powder charges to get to where I want to be. Once I have right bushing dropping what I want, I forget about it. I keep them in ziploc baggies, labelled as to the load - powder, grains, wads, primers. When I want to load a particular shell, get that baggie out and go for it.

I do have the occasional sour sounding shell....when I look down the barrel, there is inevitably a bunch of unburned powder down there.

Don't let the tubes get too empty. When the powder is down to about 2 inches in the tube, I'm looking to refill..

jeff

3. teleskier

teleskier Member

yeah but I'm anal retentive...LOL

4. teleskier

teleskier Member

do you just hold it in place with the lid?

5. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Another helpful Hint is " You must be gentle enough when pulling down on the handle as to watch that all of the drop tubes do not catch on the top of the shells, But when you are on the up stroke, you are careful not to come up too fast as to spill the shot that just was poured into the shell, but once you clear all of the shells, just near the top of the Handel return speed it up a little and let it bump at the top as to jar the powder bottle a little to somewhat shake it, this makes the powder settle thru the powder baffle somewhat better.
    I would not even try to load without the baffel in the poeder containet this will defintly give you inconsistant loads because of the differance in the weight of the power that is putting pressure onto it's self. In other words when the bottle is full you are going to have heavier loads as when the bottle is near empty.

6. teleskier

teleskier Member

does it make a difference which way the baffle goes in? With the center pointed up or down?

7. teleskier

teleskier Member

I will put my baffle back in and try the dryer sheet too. I have another set of much larger shot and powder tubes on order from a guy. Will get those in a couple of weeks I hope too.

Thanks for all of the input so far. MIke

8. luv_my_model11

luv_my_model11 TS Member

My experience has been that the first load out of the 366 will be heavier than the subsequent ones (yes, I have a baffle). I believe this is a result of the powder packing down as a result of the extra strokes while the first hulls are being sized, primed, etc. I always drop one into the pan from my powder measure before the first shell gets charged. Also try to be as consistent as possible on the up and down strokes as possible. I use the bushing chart as a starting point and weigh the charges to determine the proper bushing.

9. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I attached a very small 110 volt motor to the back of my 366. Then I added a small piece of plastic to the shaft with a small screw fastened into the side of the plastic. When I turn it on, it vibrates enough to keep the powder settled in the tube, and my measurements show a more consistant powder drop.

Works for me.

Danny

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I have a 366 that I've been using for approx 15 yrs. I too use 700X and have finally come down to only two (2) loads.

1 - 17 grs. using a 429 bushing and 1 oz. of shot. (approx 1200 fps)

2 - 19.5 grs. using a 456 bushing and 1-1/8 of shot. (approx. 1250 fps)

I got rid of the scale years ago...and have had good results with what I presently reload. I don't care if it's a little more of a little less....the results have been just fine!

Curt - Delaware

11. J.P.

J.P. TS Member

Bvr tail, a la Spolar!! at one hundredth the price. Also one can use MEC bushings with an adaptor from Recobb`s. $10 plus S&H. Pays for self in three bushings.

12. teleskier

teleskier Member

wow...19.5 grains with a 456 bushing!!! I throw about 18 grains but it varies between 17.5 and 18.5

13. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Curt, Damn you, you stole my ziploc bags, didn't you.

LOL, that's almost exactly what I use....

14. teleskier

teleskier Member

Just got off the phone with Hornady. They say NOT to use static dryer sheets in the tube as it will contaminate the powder. Rather they say to just rub the outside of the powder tube.

He also said in the last testing they did with 700x that the 456 bushing was throwing a bit more than 20 grains. He thought Hodgen may have redone the powder to fix this but her was not sure.

I just wonder if my scale is accurate?

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

It is easy to check your scale. Get a rifle or pistol bullet and weigh it.

You can adjust bushings by light polishing (to make them drop more) or coating the bore with nail polish (to make them drop less). If you have a very large bushing you may never use, you can build it up with JB Weld and then file/sand/polish to get the drop you desire.

Don

16. teleskier

teleskier Member

well I got a new scale and mine was within .2 grains. Close enough, so the new one is going back to the store. Hope they don't mind loaning it out...LOL

What the problem seemed to be is that my charge bar did not have a long enough throw. Upon inspection, only half the powder bushing diameter was visible upon full throw while the shot bushing was fully centered. So..I called Hornady again and they said I could adjust the black slotted thingy (technical term) that the roller on the charge bar rides in, forward and back by loosening the upper bolt. Low and behold, moving that "thingy" back away from the loader caused the charge bar to throw further giving me better powder results. Now my charges are measuring exactly (within +/- .2grains)of what the Hornady bushing chart says. Just so you know, the powder bushing will not line up exactly with the discharge hole. They said 3/4 of the diameter should be exposed for good results.

Hope this helps someone else...Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

366 loader bushing

load 700x on 366