1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder bushings

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Iapackfn, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Iapackfn

Iapackfn Member

I am loading with a MEC sizemaster. I am using Winchester AA hulls and bushing 33 which is supposed to give me 18.2 grains of powder. When I weigh it out I get a consistent 18.7 grains. Is there an adjustment I need to know about?

2. Brent Paulus

Brent Paulus Well-Known Member

What powder, primer and wad are you using?

3. Iapackfn

Iapackfn Member

Clays powder, Winchester 209 primer, and clay buster wad.

4. Brent Paulus

What load and speed are you looking for. Something like a 1 1/8 @ 1200fps maybe? If that's it, go to a 32 bushing and it should be around 18.0 based on the info and weight differences that you have posted. But with dropping 18.7 of clays in a 1 1/8 with the components listed. that's going to put you up in the 10,000+ psi range. If I were you Id drop it back a bit.

Brent

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  5. Iapackfn

Iapackfn Member

Yes according to the powder book bushing 33 should give me 18.2 grains for 1200fps

6. Brent Paulus

If Nebs or Mark are on they can chime in here, or anyone else for that matter.:feedback:

7. Brent Paulus

There are a couple of ways that you can modify your 33 to drop what you want with that specific lot# batch of Clays. You can paint the inside diameter with a coat of finger nail polish or a small piece of tape, like electrical. Just keep checking your drops about every 100 or so loads. Just to be safe.
    Brent

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The powder bushing charts are just a starting point. There is no way they can always predict what a certain batch of powder will drop. Powders differ from batch to batch and sometimes even different jugs from the same batch numbers. The only way to load is by using a scale. If the 33 is dropping heavy, you need to change bushings. DO NOT load by what the bushing charts say. Load by a scale. There is a reason they make all the different powder bushings. You need bushings on both sides of that 33 to be able to get your drops where you want them.

KS-OKIE and Brent Paulus thanked this.
  9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

One other thing to note is the new (Canadian) Clays drops heaver than stated in the manuals.

grnititan said it all, never go by the charts. Always weigh with a scale.

Even if your a few tenths off you will never notice any difference in performance.

KS-OKIE and Brent Paulus thanked this.
  10. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold Active Member

Clays has changed over the years, and MEC has done some updates to their charts. If you want to close up the bushing, I recommend the tape method, as it is easy to remove it later.

11. Iapackfn

Iapackfn Member

Tape method?

12. Brent Paulus

By your avatar, I take it that you are either now or were at some time affiliated with Law Enforcement.. I made the mistake of Assuming you were using a scale based on your original post. Like Grntitan said, ALWAYS rely on YOUR Scales..

Tape method, cut a small piece of electrical tape or another good sticking kind, then apply it to the inside diameter of your bushing..
    Brent

13. Iapackfn

Iapackfn Member

I am currently in Law Enforcement, 26 years now. I will try the tape method. Would prefer not to use fingernail Polish or anything permanent.

Brent Paulus thanked this.
  14. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Drop to a 32 bushing and re-weigh. The bushing charts are only for a starting place. If your drops are still too heavy go down to a 31. Any consistent drop from 18.0 to 18.4 will serve with those components.

Go to this thread;

Real-world reloading and its implications.

And read the first message a couple of times.

Brent Paulus thanked this.
  15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Powder bushings(shot bushings as well for that matter) load by volume. By cleaning the bushing well with alcohol and then applying thin layers of tape to the inside of the bushing, you essentially change the volume at which that bushing drops. It works if you get the tape to stick good. Other methods are painting the inside with finger nail polish until you get the desired drop. As cheap as bushings are, just buy you a 31, 32, 34, 35 and you'll be set.

16. Brent Paulus

Lapacfn, if you were to use finger nail polish, it can be easily removed with acetone, lacquer thinner, or mek. All those Good smelling ones ya know...

17. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

As has been suggested , simply drop down to a #32 bushing. That is your "Adjustment." What really matters is what the Scale says , not the bushing chart.
    Regards , Pete

Nebs and Brent Paulus thanked this.
  18. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

I don't use a MEC, but I agree the only way to reduce the amount of powder your reloader drops is either to use the next smaller bushing or put something on the inside, foil tape or nail polish, to reduce the inside diameter.

But I'm assuming you are using a AAHS hull with Clays. Are you having any crimp problems or noticing any added pressure on the downstroke, suggesting compression of the stack?

19. Iapackfn

Iapackfn Member

Having some crimp issues with the dark gray hulls. Loaded some with the red AA hulls and that went better.

20. wadcrusher

wadcrusher Active Member

A scale and a smaller bushing.....