1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

powder bushings or universal charge bar

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 6ft lead, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6ft lead

6ft lead TS Member

are the universal charge bars o.k. for the mec loaderS? IS there any other way
    to get .2 .5 .7 grains of powder for some of my reloads using e3.?

2. darr

darr Well-Known Member

The universal bar is the most accurate way to drop powder with the MEC IMHO.You can adjust lot to lot or if the bottle is full or 1/2 full.Same with shot.You can adjust between sizes.

Darr

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I have two loaders and two adjustable bars. I will never return to bars and bushings again. However, if you're happy with a load you get right out of the box with MEC bushings and bars, see little reason to ponder change, and like things simple, by all means stick with the bushings. The adjustables can be difficult to understand and set up for the first time or change but if you want to custom make shells based on whatever works well for you, go with the adjustable bar and seek advice on how to get started without frustrating trial and error methods.....Bob Dodd

4. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Like Bob, I too have the Universal Adjustable Charge bar on both of my MEC loaders.

With a good digital scale (one that does not drift or is at least is easily recalibrated) it becomes rather easy to measure the powder or shot for weight. I use a primed shell, weight it empty, drop a load of powder or shot into the shell and weigh for difference. It is a quick and easy method for adjusting the bar. The digital scales can take the weight were the balance beam scales are a little more involved. Mine only goes to 110 grains, so the shot has to be poured into a container in 100 grain increments and weighed - very tedious and time consuming.

I'm a little disappointed in the quality of the adjustable bars, for instance I wish the gradients were engraved into the knobs instead of using tape, but they work well. I went the extra step and applied no-sieze lubricant to the threads for the knobs.

Mike

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Universal charge bar all the way.

Hauxfan!

6. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

get the powder baffle also E3 is not good without it rick

7. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

The Universal Charge Bar for Mec is the “GREATEST” thing that one can do for a Mec.

I have two adjustable charge bars. One set up for one ounce the other for one and one-eight ounce.

I’ve been using the Universal Charge Bar since July of 02 and would not be without them!

I have a Mec Grabber. The adjustable charge bars works GREAT on this loader. The Grabber and the 9000 are basically the same loader. The 9000 is an upgrade that has auto indexing and shell eject.

The adjustable charge bars can be contrary to work with. I found that to tweak or fine-tune the powder drops, turn the knob BACK, than in small increments turn it forward until you obtain what your want. You really must have an electronic scale to set up the adjustable charge bar.

My powder drops stay within +/- .2 grains. It is important to "BUMP" the handle of the loader on the down stroke the same every time. Yes, I understand that it is not humanly possible to get each pull the same. However, make every effort to get the "BUMP" on the pull down the same, your powder drops will be more constant.

Frank

8. crk

crk Member

ok, I'll bite - why two universal charge bars permanently set for a charge? If they are so convenient, why not change the dial to the setting desired? IF you are pulling them out to change bars, why not change the bushing?

I have two of these (for two different loaders) and found them to be more work than they are worth to make changes on them. Reading the little lines, tightening the thing so it don't move, etc. The bushings, while not exact certainly get close enough and are a VERY reliable drop - every time, which I also did not find to be the case with the Universal bar - especially as you made the charge hole size smaller (always closes down to one side of the hole).

Same goes for the powder baffles (yes, even with E3) - did not have as many duds as when I put that pc of junk on there - took it off, no missed charge drops.

There must be a reason that MEC never incorporated either of them (and not like they make a lot of money selling bushing sets - not a big "wear out item."

9. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

ok, I'll bite - why two universal charge bars

Just MY THING, personal preference!!!!

Frank

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

crk, ditto Frank and I DID use just one bar on a machine and load two favorite custom loads for a couple of years. I mastered the adjustments well enough to be able to do that in less than 10 minutes with weighing checks while the 9000H pump warmed up. Then, most of us with two bars have two loaders rather than switching a single bar back and forth switching two bars back and forth on one loader.

It boils down to this; OEM bars and bushings from MEC are quite suitable and there's no need for improvements IF you are satisfied with "close is close enough." But we who suffer from fatal annality want out custom shells to be exactly what we want for whatever purpose or reason but providing confidence. Not much different than painting cars and refrigerators different colors; personal preference as Frank said.....breakemall...Bob Dodd

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Put me down as " satisfied with "close is close enough." I've got a whole shelf of laboriously drilled and filled MEC bushings which I no longer ever use. I've also got a couple of universal charge-bars which I never use.

I use a 28 or 29 bushing (moderate-speed and moderate-speed plus) and one powder. What could be better that that?

Neil

12. crk

crk Member

Frank and Bob:

I am good with personal preference. I was curious why one would use two bars other than for convenience in not changing them for different settings (or owning two machines but that is different).

13. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Universal Charge bar. Powder weight changes from lot to lot. Ray.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.