1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder bushings for 366 auto 410

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have always loaded with Herters and Mec's and purchased three 366's and trying to start up on the 410. I know that Mec bushing are almost always a grain low, based on their charts. How about the Hornady bushings? Yes, I know I need to weigh them but it's a pain to load up the powder and shot tubes and then have to take them off and change out the bushings. The chart shows 250 for 12 grains of lil gun and 259 for 13 grains. Are they very close? Thanks for your help. Jackie B.

2. Shooting Jack

I put a 266 bushing in and it's throwing 8 grains. Checked it on two scales. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Jackie B.

3. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

If you have MEC bushings that you have used for .410 you might consider buying an adapter to use MEC bushings in your 366. Midway has them for $7.99. MEC bushings also cost less and are easier to find at retail shops.

4. Shooting Jack

Thanks 3200, I bought one and put it in the 20ga loader. I have a sackfull of bushings that came with the three loaders, 20, 28 and 410 but based on the chart for the 410 it should take a 250 or 259. I have a 255, 261 and 266 and the 266 is throwing 8 grains. Since I am not familiar with these loaders I figured I had better ask before I threw this thing out the door. LOL Jackie B.

5. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I have found the Hornady tables to just be a starting point and different densities of powder within the same kind of powder frequently require a jump up of a bushing size or two. Also the weight dropped by a bushing sometimes changes depending on the humidity in my loading room (i.e. a/c on or off). Suggest that you begin with the bushing that gives you the correct weight, check it after a few rounds and often thereafter especially with the .410.

6. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

the bad news is it can be a bit of trial and error to find the right bushing...the good news is, mostly, you only have to do it once.

and its not that hard to get...don't bother filling the shot tube until you get the powder right.

if your bushing is low...and you don't want to spend the $5 for a new one...a round file and some JUDICIOUS application of same will file out a bushing to drop what you want. carefully...otherwise you're buying a new bushing anyway.

OU is giving you good advice. they can vary some.

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

the bad news is it can be a bit of trial and error to find the right bushing...the good news is, mostly, you only have to do it once.

and its not that hard to get...don't bother filling the shot tube until you get the powder right. its not that hard to pull the tube unit off, hold the cap and flip it over, rest it on the bench and slide the bar out to change bushings. I often change bushings with a full 25lbs of shot in, if I switch from a singles load to a handicap load. Of course, I TRY to do it when the shot tube is empty...

if your bushing is low...and you don't want to spend the $5 for a new one...a round file and some JUDICIOUS application of same will file out a bushing to drop what you want. carefully...otherwise you're buying a new bushing anyway.

OU is giving you good advice. they can vary some.

8. Mark Gadbois

Mark Gadbois Member

Hmm. My 266 bushing throws 13.2 grains of Lil' Gun in my Spolar. And I do not think my bushing has been filed. I am going to try 300MP but it looks like I'll need a larger bushing - 272 or 291.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec powder bushings to use for reloading 410 with 300mp powder

where can i find the larger powder bushings for 366