1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

powder burn rate

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gspointer, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gspointer

gspointer TS Member

I have been shooting factory gun club shells and i seem to be comfortable shooting them. I shot some reloaded shells 22.8 grns.PB powder, gun club hull, fig 8 wad, win primer, should be traveling a little over 1200fps. I had a hard time hitting targets good with it. Is it in my head, or is the slower burn rate of the pb messing with my timing? I realize its traveling a little faster than the gclubs 1145 and 1200, is this my problem? Also i was wondering if anybody knew what powder was in the gun clubs. Thanks for you input.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Gun Clubs use a proprietary powder blended specifically for those shells; you can't buy it.

As for the difference between its burn rate and that of PB... there isn't a human alive that tell the difference in that aspect of a shell's performance, no matter what they say.

MK

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

MK- Is almost correct, but he made one at least theoretical error. First, nobody can tell the 2 to 10,000 of a second difference in powder burning rates.
    But, if you wish, you actually can buy the type powder shell manufacturers use. The powder will come in 2,000 to 5,000 pound lots and each lot is different. You can then use a pressure gun and a good chronograph to work out the loads you want.

Powder manufacture ring is part science and part magic. If you use the same things to make two different batches of powders, the two batches that come out can be different. The variable is the ground up trees that are used. Each tree is a little different. Now, the best trees come from Mississippi. The powder lots that come out exactly right are sold to reloaders. The batches that are a little out of specifications are sold to shell manufacturers who custom load each batch to get what they want.

If anyone is interested in 5,000 pounds of an OEM type powder, I believe I can make the arrangements for them.

Pat Ireland

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Why not download to 21 grains? Thats 1150 fps. Also, Gun Clubs use a RXP-12 wad. Above is a link with a lot of info on Gun Clubs, some think they are loaded with Green Dot.

Wayne

5. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

How much for the 5000 lbs?

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Is there a hazmat charge on it?

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I would think if you were gonna spend the cash to buy 5000lbs of powder, the $20 hazmat charge would be petty. JMO----Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.