1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder Burn Rate Charts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JJJ, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

The best rate chart is from LoadData.com . You MAY be able to print it without having a subscription. Check their site out. They have hundreds of thousands loads in their site. I forget how much it costs, but I have been subscribing for many years.
    Joe Jordan

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Don't pay a whole lot of attention to these charts. at 8000 PSI, one powder might be faster than another. At 10,000 PSI, things change.

Use listed data only. Faster powders may often be downloaded slightly, and slower powders often give problems when downloaded. Other than that, don't tempt fate.

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

They are all figments of someones imagination. I have done exhaustive searches and have not agreed with any of the 70 or so I have seen.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The above URL is my best chart after looking at many.

Hodgdon also has one, not as complete.

They are simply a comparison chart, and not Gospel.

But they do come in handy when I want to quickly see several powders to use for an application.

HM

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not out to pick a fight, but that chart simply sucks, HM.

JD, I haven't used most of the powders you find on those charts, but here is my take on the ones I have used (we are talking 12ga trap loads here).

Bullseye- fastest

700X, next fastest

Clays, e3

TiteGroup, Red Dot

International Clays, Solo 1000

American Select

Green Dot

PB

Unique

There is so little difference in burning rate between 700X and Red Dot it simply doesn't matter.

Even though I have a shelf full of different powders, my current burn rate selection is simple. If the load goes slower than 1220fps for 24g and 7/8oz or 1180fps for 1 or 1 1/8oz, I use e3. If faster, I use American select.

6. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

7. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

I believe I read somewhere in one of my loading manuals that many powders have nearly identical burning rates like red dot and 700x for example, Win 296 and H110 are the same powder but one is listed above the other. One chart may list one above the other another chart may be just the opposite. It would be better if they grouped like burning rate powders together but I think the key thing to keep in mind is when you look at the charts it lists them in order of "relative quickness" their words not mine. The charts are more useful for determining what other powders may be applicable to possibly use in certain situations like going for Full Goose Bozo loads in some kind of big magnum handgun cartridge and your current powder is showing high pressure signs before getting to the top velocity you should be getting. In this example you would want to try something slower. You should always use published data if possible.

tom

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

For lighter loads I want a faster powder, for heaver loads, I want a slower powder. The relative burning rates of powders may be useful in selecting a powder, but keep in mind the difference between a fast powder and a slow powder is around 3-5/10,000th of a second. I use American Select for my lighter loads and Green Dot for my heaver handicap loads. But, if I changed from American Select to Clay Dot, I doubt that neither I, my gun nor the target would recognize the change.

Pat Ireland

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Guess they figure if they listed a bunch of ties, it would be too confusing (or not as technical looking)? Kind of hard to believe EVERY powder type has a differnt burn rate. Maybe they should try grouping them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

2016 powder burn rate chart