1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder Burn Rate chart

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Buster 25, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

At one time I remember seeing a listing of ALL Powders and their Burn Rate in relation to one another.
    Anyone know where this is listed??

2. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Try this one

3. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Lyman 5th edition shotshell reloading manual has what you are looking for.

4. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

or this mone

5. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

or this one

6. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

another one

7. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

no more, I promise

Frank

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Clearly caution is advised using any of them, since they disagree in so many places. But as a general comparison they are fine. They just aren't reloading guides, that's all.

Neil

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Neil, You are on the money on that one. There are MANY discrepancies between these charts. The main question is, why would anyone need to use one of these? It is NO substitute for reliable loading data. Powders can perform differently in different loads and conditions. Under some circumstances, a "slow" powder can become a "fast" powder and vice versa. Selecting a powder should include looking at reliable data for the loads you wish to assemble, including an assessment of pressure and velocity developed. That would give way more information than a burn rate chart.

10. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Now than;

Having posted sever burn rate charts, Niel has stated it exactly. "ONLY" use published loading data. In my opinion these burn rate carts are only a general guide to compare different powders and ARE NOT to be used for loading data!!!!!!

The following URLs will provide all the loading data you may need, "USE THEM".

Copy and paste the following URLs.

Frank

http://www.alliantpowder.com/

http://www.imrpowder.com/

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

11. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Please listen to whats said and dont plug in powder just because it looks close to what you have.
    I can print a burn rate chart from Sierra that differs from what you see, the same from Hodgdon. Lee

12. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Like they said - just use the powder guys loading data.

It's only a shotgun, get over it - it ain't ever gonna be anything else.

JMO of course cuz in America you can do anything you want

Charlie

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You don't need a burn rate chart unless you are trying to develop your own loads in close partnership with one of the ballistics guys that does pressure/velocity testing for the general public.

Use published data. Don't try your own substitutions based on some chart!!

MK

14. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

I agree with all that's been said about using published data. The only thing that I can see that is useful about a burn rate chart is to ballpark an application (not charge weights) i.e. 800x and Accurate No. 7 or 700x and Green Dot are next to each other so they can be used for similar applications and you will likely find data that will work for the same type load.

James

15. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Thanks for mentioning Green Dot, James, since it summarizes what's wrong with these charts. Consider GS Custom Bullets ratings. There you will find Green Dot below 7625 which hardly seems right, but it probably is not as misplaced as Winchester Super Target which finds itself called faster than Bullseye which is an unfamiliar neighborhood for it I'm sure.

Ramshot, on the other hand as you suggest,. puts Green Dot with 700-X though I'd say that in that comparison it's the 700-X that's in the wrong place, not the Green Dot

And so on.

Neil

16. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Yeah the reloading bench chart is the same as the Lymans. Both don't have PB listed. Dave T.

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mash the link above. The author says the data is virtually meaningless.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Powder burning rates can be useful in selecting a new load, but it is important to understand what both the burning rate lists and reloading manuals are designed to provide.

Reloading manuals provide the components for safe loads. But, safe loads are not the same thing as the best loads. For light loads, a fast burning powder will give better results than a slow powder. For heavier loads, slower powders work best. I remember how wonderful the published data for 800X in one ounce loads looked in a reloading manual. I also remember loading some of the very worst one ounce loads ever made because I only relied on data in a reloading manual and did not consider burning rates.

For light one ounce loads either Red Dot or a powder with a burning rate close to Red Dot is excellent. For heavier loads, Green Dot or a powder with a burning rate similar to Green Dot is excellent.

A burning rate chart can help guide you toward a powder that will do the job you want it to do. A good reloading manual will tell you how to safely use the powder.

Pat Ireland

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Most rifle & pistol loading manuals have a powder burn rate chart listing all the powders commonly available to when the book was printed.

John C. Saubak

20. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Looked at one the other day and it relected that Green Dot was a faster powder than Red Dot. That can't be true, is it? BT-100dc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

powder burn rate chart with all of the new powders