1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder baffles on mec reloaders

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dphillips8191, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

Is anyone using the powder baffle on their mec presses? I am wondering it they are worth the money or not.

Thanks for the information

Dave

2. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Did not like the powder drops with a baffle. Took the baffles out of the baffle. This gives me a more consistent powder drop.

3. Twister7795

Twister7795 TS Member

I have the metal ones on all five of my loaders. I love them, never had a problem. Some people swear by them and some swear at them. Wait a while and some one will come by and tell you the metal ones are junk, and the plastic one is the only way to go. Your dime, I'm sure they both work just fine.

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Dave:

Unless something has changed relatively recently, MEC doesn't recommend using them.

sissy

5. ONClaybuster

ONClaybuster TS Member

I'm using the metal ones and find the powder drops very consistent.

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

It would be easy to actually test a baffle. Measure the weight in grains of 10 drops with a baffle and 10 without. Then calculate the standard deviation for each set of 10. The one with the lowest standard deviation wins.

The standard deviation is the average variance from the mean or over all average. Some calculators have a button for it. Let's see if I remember how to do this by hand.

Add up the drops in grains and divide by 10. That's the first average.

Then calculate the difference between each drop and the 10 drop average. Sum up the differences and divide by 10. Might try to do this after shooting...

7. N2deep

N2deep Member

In my experience, the baffles (plastic and or metal) work great with some powders and not so well with others.. Fore example, If you use clays,, the baffle works great and makes the drops more consistent, +/- .01 gr. However,, when using E-3, I removed the baffle and the consistency of the drops improved dramatically..

So try with and with out,, measure 20 drops and decide for your self..

Best Regards

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I had the plastic one on my 650 and where it came into play was when the powder was in the lower half of the bottle. That was with Clays powder.

Nothing against the metal ones as I had not the chance to use one.

Bill

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have both kinds in my reloading "junk" box, a box that contains years of "had-to-have" shotshell, handgun and rifle reloading gadgets that amounted to nothing more than money wasted.

The metal baffle did nothing for the consistency of my powder charges with Green Dot, Clays International or PB and the plastic one accumulated static and became blocked with powder while using PB. I have come to the conclusion that those who designed my loader know best and that if a baffle made a MEC loader better, MEC would offer one. Think about the fact that they make all kinds of accessories for their loaders - except a baffle.

Ed

10. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I have the red plastic one on both my 9000, use Greendot and Claydot, would not think of using the loaders with them.

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Just my cents worth: I use the plastic one on my 9000G and Grabber with Clays or Clays International and am satisfied. The MEC approach uses a small brass washer underneath a rubber washer on the powder side and these washers are a royal pain-in-the-can to keep in place when changing charge bars and/or powder bushings. The plastic baffle provides a spring-loaded seal which is fool-proof and effectively keeps powder from migrating out as the charge bar moves back & forth. This is just my experience, but I change loads from 7/8, to 1 oz., to 1 1/8 frequently enough that the little MEC washers are a problem - at least for me. Also, I got rid of all my "adjustable" charge bars as being another pain-in-the-can to avoid...too much guess work to adjust. Just trying to keep it simple. Best Regards, Ed

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"...the baffle works great and makes the drops more consistent, +/- .01 gr."</i></blockquote>...assume you mean "± .1 gn" (1/10 grain) or are you really measuring your powder drops in grams?

Keller

13. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I've been using a plastic one for years. No problems to report that I know of. I do like the spring loaded thingy that seals the powder.

14. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I have a couple of the plastic versions. I haven't used them in a long time. I bought them only because of chatter of how great they were suppose to be. I run MEC manuals and progressives and have very consistant powder drops without using them. If your drop is off plus or minus a tenth or two you'll never experience an issue. Talk with Alliant they'll put your mind at ease with powder drop ranges. In my opinion the adjustable bars are a waste also.

15. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Yes, I use a metal one. Yes, I like it. Yes, it works great. No, I won't load without one. No, I won't use the plastic one, due to static build up.

The powder baffle mystery was solved for me many years ago by performing the following test. Fill your powder bottle to the top and drop 10 loads without the baffle and record the weighed drop. Next, empty the powder bottle until only about 1/4 of the bottle has powder in it. Drop 10 more loads and weigh. I found that the weights were different enough that it concerned me. I installed the metal baffle and did the same test. Powder baffle won, no contest. I performed this same test with 700X, PB, 7625, and Green Dot, all with the same results. Now, I don't even think about it. Powder baffle works for me, and will continue to use one..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

ps: Yes, I also use an adjustable charge bar on both my Mec's, and wouldn't go back to bars...

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I've been loading for over 35 years and never found the need for one "ever"!!! Some people will consistently try to re-invent the wheel!!! Some of these same people can overcomplicate toast as well. LOL. Some powders just don't drop well!!! Some load on a single stage loader, while others prefer a progressive. Some loaders shake the equipment much more than other loaders. LOL. I'll stop now as I have vented enough on this subject. Now go find your own favorite loads and powders. Break em all Jeff

17. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

It's not a matter of baffles or adj. charge bars being the right thing or the do all, end all thing. Different strokes for different folks. A cheap enough try to see if you like it or not. Only out a few bucks if it not for you.

18. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

If you need more "tests" to make a determination, try this:

After "cycling" the reloader a few times, weigh 5 drops with a baffle. Then for the next couple of drops, tap the powder bottle a few times with something.

This is an attempt to try and duplicate what happens to your reloader as you add shot, or get a wad that snaps into place, or any kind of bumps.

Then without a baffle try the same thing and I'll bet the times you bumped, or tapped the machine, the drops were heavier. That is the reason for a baffle, as it provides a dead space below the powder bottle so it dosen't "settle", and throw heavy.

Your results may vary, but I like, and use, the metal one.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You do not need a baffle. Unless you let the powder bottle go below 1/2.

Then you need a baffle.

If you can't figure that out you need remedial 8th grade science.

HM

20. notarget

notarget TS Member

Never used one and never thought one was needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

700x powder not falling right into mec loader

mec plastic baffle

mec powder baffle do they work

mecreloaderpowder

powder baffle for mec loader

shooting forums on shotshell powder baffles

using powder baffle with single stage mec loaders

will mec powder baffle work on standard powder bar