1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder baffles for MEC's?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PatMiles, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Powder baffles for MEC

I'm in need of a few replacement parts for my MEC 9000 so I visited Gamaliel's website. While making my list I decided to order a powder baffle of which I found a plastic baffle and a metal (zinc) baffle. Other than materials and price are there any differences? Any problems with the plastic baffle breaking? Do they perform the same?

Thanks,

Pat

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have 4 plastic baffle on Mec loaders. They have a spring loaded sleeve on the bottom that rides on the bar. they do not leak at all. You can throw out the rubber washer and the brass one too.

I think they were made by MTM but I am not sure. I prefer them to the aluminum one which sits in the drawer.

HM

3. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Already I don't like this thread...

4. PatMiles

Jon,

?????

Pat

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Pat:

Check your private messages.

sissy

6. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

The plastic ones (no leak), there is not enough weight in the powder bottle to stress anything but the baffle is thicker than the neck of the bottle anyway. The shot bottle gets stress and could break at the neck. I use a stabilizer kit on those bottles.

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I did use one at one time but I found it permitted bad powder drops. I would have a good shell and then a weak shell. I took it off and things were alot better with the shells. Just keep a eye on it and use a powder scale to check the drop from time to time

8. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

The red plastic on has worked for me for years, have them on both my 9000 and grabber, better than 30K reloads through them. So much better than that stupid brass washer that comes with MEC.

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

My experience is the same a jbmi. Regards, Ed

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Tried both. Had best results with the plastic type. Have on 4 reloaders.

Also, have the MEC bottle stabilizer on all as a few years back had a lead shot bottle break : (

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

This topic surfaces every so often and the opinions are always mixed. I'm firmly in the "no baffle" group.

Many years ago, I considered using a baffle on the Grabber I had then and asked MEC the same question that Pat asked on here. Their reply was that they do not recommend using ANY baffle. I didn't press for a reason, just took the statement at face value. When I mentioned that on here, other posters reasoned that MEC doesn't want us using a baffle because they don't offer one but I counter-reasoned that they make all kinds of other accessories for their loaders, so why not a baffle?

Fast forward to five or six years ago, when I bought the 9000E and AutoMate II I now use. There was a thread on here about baffles and I was thinking about them again when I was ordering a bushing kit and some other goodies from Precision Reloading for my new loader, so I bought a red plastic one.

Perhaps a year later, I suddenly had bloopers galore from a box of shells from a flat I had recently loaded. I switched to a box from another flat and the condition cleared. When I returned home, I weighed shells from the good flat to determine what my target weight should be and then weighed the shells in the problem flat. A high percentage of them were anywhere from 10 to 17 grains light and I cut them open, finding anywhere from a few flakes to a partial charge of powder.

I set out to find the cause and found the interior of the baffle was black instead of red, so I started unscrewing the reservoir - as soon as I started moving it, the baffle turned red inside again. It was full of powder from static electricity! Apparently, it would start clogging until the weight of the powder in it became high enough that machine vibration could shake it loose and then the cycle would start over.

The loader is grounded as it is attached metal-to-metal to the AutoMate II, which is grounded through the house wiring, but plastic is not a good conductor so the baffle didn't receive the effects of the ground. Materials create an electrostatic charge as they slide against one another and apparently the climate in my gun room at the time I loaded that flat of shells was such that the powder sliding against the reservoir and baffle created the charge.

The baffle went into the trash can and the problem hasn't happened again. Some time after that, I had a reason to call MEC for a part and while we were talking, I told their representative about my experience. He told me that is precisely one of the reasons MEC recommends not using a baffle.

Obviously, many others are using baffles with no problems. But you will never see one on my loader again.

Ed

12. oletymer

oletymer Member

I have never had one that turned black. I check drops every hundred rounds and have not seen a deviation over .1 grain. To each his own I guess.

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have one on all my loaders but lately have had a problem of leakage especially on my 12ga 9000 loader using green dot and promo powder. After inspection it appears that powder has gummed it up where it's not keeping level contact with the charge bar. I honestly can't say they help anyway but I have them on 6 mec reloaders. Jackie B.

14. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I've used both types and both types now rest beside my reloaders doing nada. In a nutshell, I found they threw inconsistent loads throughout the cycle. Went back to the standard setup with copper and rubber gaskets and my loads became consistent again....cya

Jack

15. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Pat,

I don't recommend them either. Metal or plastic, my experience with them resulted in inconsistent powder drops, which can be a problem with just about any MEC progressive loader to begin with. The charge bar does not always function correctly, as it will stick or drag every now and then, Automate or manual, causing light powder drops. The powder baffles only seemed to cause even more problems when I used them a few years back.

Good luck.

Jon Reitz

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Pat, I too say don't use a powder baffle. If Mec thought they were a good idea they would give you one when you bought one of there loaders, or they would at least make one!!! All baffles I've seen are made by after market companies. "This tells me something". If you want the most consistant loads possible use both short bottles and refill both bottles every 100 loads when you place another tray of primers in the machine. Replace the rubber washers every year and you should not have any leaks unless you use a very fine powder. Only with the fine powders do I need the brass washer as well as the rubber one. The rubber only helps on the shot side to help keep that one shot from getting in between the bar and the houseing for the bar. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

17. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

My MEC9000 is set up with the large powder bottle and the red powder baffle. I weigh my drops on a digital scale and seldom see more than a .2 grain spread in years of use. Without it I had heavier drops with a full bottle and lighter drops when the bottle gets less than 1/3 full. This is probably because I use the large bottle. The red baffle solved that problem for me. I don't know what causes some have such trouble and other have great success with the MTM red baffle. The best advice I can give is.....its not expensive to try one and then you can decide if your are in the "love it" or "hate it" crowd.

Mark

p.s. I don't recommend the metal baffle.

18. PatMiles

Thanks for the info gents. For now I think I'll do without as that seems to be the consensus of the replies.

Pat

19. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

I have used metal baffles for years. I run a 1/4 inch drill through them so a small straight shot of powder remains. I use a brass washer from an adjustable bar ( could never get consistent powder drops from it) and MEC rubber washer. I place a hose clamp around the middle (they can come apart - not pretty). Ground the machine. Powder drops vary less than 0.1 grain. D Winter

20. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Some of a baffles benefit can depend on the type of powder you use. I found a metal baffle gave consistant drops with TiteGroup ball powder from a full bottle all the way to the bottom of the barrel. With flake type powders, esp bigger sizedflakes, I found the baffle didn't help at all and maybe caused problems. The spring loaded sleeve on the baffle sure helped the powder stay in place will fine grain ball powder. Good Luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

all-metal powder baffle for mec loaders

forum information on multi-scale powder baffle

mec powder baffle instructions

replacement washer for powder baffle shotgunworld

shotgun forum information on multi-scale powder baffles

where to purchase brass washers for multi-scale powder baffles