1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder Baffle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I am loading on an older model MEC 600jr. I am currently using a small bottle for powder and large for shot. I am also using a powder baffle with brass washer that came with an adjustable bar i bought but i am using a regular bushing bar. My question is simply powder baffle or no powder baffle? What do the expert minds say about this subject? I can't tell a huge difference between using it or no baffle and the rubber washer. Any tricks?---Matt

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I for one do not like using the powder baffle at all. For most of the larger flake powders I find you do not need the brass washer. The rubber washer is fine by itself for most powders. You do need to replace them when they start to get a bit hard, every few years or so. I don't use them at all under the shot bottle. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

3. 3357

3357 Member

I use a powder baffle. It made a big differance in throwing consistant and even charges as the powder level decreases during the loading process. The one big differance I have noted is that with the powder baffle in place in a MEC 9000g I had to increase the bushing by 2 sizes to get the same measured (by weight) charge I was getting without the baffle. (using Red Dot powder)

4. grntitan

3357---I have noticed the same change in bushings when loading Green Dot which is my primary powder. I have noticed slightly heavier charges when the bottle was near full which kinda contradicts what the purpose of the darn thing is which is consistent drops.---Matt

5. 3357

3357 Member

Matt, Thanks for the confirmation of my experience. I was starting to wonder about my powder scale......................Jess

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

All a baffle really seemed to do for me is add one more thing to screw up. I had powder bridge in the funnels and will not use them. The only good thing I had noticed with the Red plastic one was that it sealed a little better with the very fine grained powders. I didn't notice any better consistency and really didn't have any real variation in charge weights with or without. I did seem to take longer for the powder to settle through it, so I'd throw ten or more charges before checking the drop weights.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

A baffle should keep the same weight of powder over the powder bushing when the bottle is full, half full and nearly empty. This, at least in theory, should help with consistent powder drops.

I prefer a baffle that is connected only to the sides of the plastic powder bottle. My PW press came with one like that. Very good baffles can be made with some scrap thin aluminum siding material or even an empty soft drink bottle.

Pat Ireland

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Pat has the answer. I also find the baffle useful since my loaders tend to throw light after the bottle is half empty.

I never had a charge weight consistency problem so that's a non issue. I just like not having to fill the bottle so often.

HM

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I learned the hard way that the plastic baffle is not a good conductor. Even though my loader is grounded by being bolted to an AutoMate that is plugged into a grounded outlet, the effects of the ground could not reach the powder because the baffle was between the loader and the powder reservoir. The baffle clogged with electrostatically-charged powder, causing most of the shells in a flat to have between no powder and about half a charge.

MEC does not recommend using a baffle but they do offer other items they feel you might need like the bottle support, so maybe they know what's best for their clients.

Ed

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use dryer sheets for static. Works great. 1/3 of a sheet held in by the plug, no static. Had the same piece in for a month and still no problems.

I use Titewad, and it is very static prone.

HM

11. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I currently own 8 MECs & have loaded on MEC for 40 years of the 46 I have loaded shotgun. I use Grabbers,650's & a 600 for smaller gauges & a Hydro for 12. The best by far is the one from Pattern Control wads. I have used it exclusively for 20+ yrs. It is very consistant @ +/- .1 th grain with all powders & does not allow leakage of fine grain ball powders. It has the spring controlled floating throat which allows good contact with the bar. I use no washers of any kind. I keep my powder & shot at 1/3 full to near full at all times. I normally scale check 1-2 loads every 1-3 boxes depending on what powder I am using. My son & I load for all gauges.

12. KF9VH

KF9VH TS Member

I have the infamous "metal" powder baffle on my mec and have loaded thousands of round. I have never had a miss fire, peewee or off sounding shot. Does it help? I don’t know, as I have never loaded without it.

13. grntitan

KF9VH---Do you use the brass washer under that baffle? It sounds as if you have the same baffle as me and i too have a 100% reload no failure rate. Knock on wood as we speak.----Matt

14. KF9VH

KF9VH TS Member

Yes Matt I do use the brass washer. Works great and no leakage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

powder baffle effectivness

shooting forums on shotshell powder baffles