1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder Baffle for MEC Reloaders Yes or No

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John S., Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John S.

John S. TS Member

Should you use powder baffle for MEC Reloaders? Have a 9000G don't use one now but think about getting one. Thanks

2. Herman63

Herman63 Member

Yes use a baffle. Never have not used one and they couldn't hurt.

Herman63

3. tj303

tj303 Member

yes, and never let the powder bottle get very low.

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Make sure to check your drops after installing it. It changed mine by 1/2 a grain or so.

ec90t

5. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

If you do use a baffle hold the down stroke at the bottom for a second before you raise the handle to give the powder bushing time to fill. The speculation is that the baffle flow rate isn't as fast as no baffle and therefore doesn't fill as fast. Have no data to support but made enough since to me to remove mine. Also, make sure your bar moves to the left and hits the bar screw stop. This is just past center of the powder fill hole to make sure it fills completely.

Regards

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Used to use a powder baffle on my 9000, but found it made for very inconsistent powder drops, which could vary as much as plus or minus a half grain or more using it, so got rid of it. Now what I do is use one of the large bottles (like the shot bottle)for powder and never let it get below the half filled mark. Powder drops now are much more consistent. Highly recommend the use of the larger bottle for powder, but be sure not to let it ever get below the half mark for best drops.

Jim R

7. mirage1

mirage1 Member

I have had the same experience as Jim R.
    Joe

8. MX-15L

MX-15L TS Member

When I had my reloader checked over at the factory, Rick asked why I had a powder baffle on the bottle. I told him that I thought the powder drops would be more consistant. He said "If that was the case, don't you think that MEC would included that item with their reloaders, or at least recommend them"? I took the baffle off. Thanks Rick.

JoeZ

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I just cleaned my bench and found two - one plastic, one metal. I took them both off when neither seems to make any difference. So did I throw them away? Well, no . . .

Neil

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

The red plastic PC baffle is great for stopping leaking with fine powders.

It may help with consistancy of powder drops with those powders too. Or maybe not.

I'm not sure it helps with either when using big flake powders.

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I use the red baffle. It seems I have a lot less leakage when I have it in use.........

That's from the reloader guys........lol lol

Hauxfan!

12. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Flincher, You should have heard what Mec said about the Auto-Mate before they bought the rights to produce it.

They told me in no uncertain terms that it was a peice of sh*t.

So whatever they tell you, take it with a grain of salt.

Of course they are going to knock a powder baffle........after all it they needed one, they surely would have included it in with the original equipment.

I'm not saying or suggesting that it drops more precise loads, but what it does do, is that it drops loads that hardly leak any powder, and that is why I use one.

Hauxfan!

13. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Yes; definitely. I like the cast metal type that the bottle screws on one end and then the other end screws onto the loader. Not to be redundant but make sure you check your bushing (with a scale) to ascretain what it throws with a baffle as usually it will be lighter. Also, never allow the bottle to get more than one half empty. Always throw 5 or more charges into a separate container to get the flow of powder started, then connect the spring (progressive Mec Loader) and fill your shot container. Put a hull to catch the shot, remove it and start. That has worked for me for 30 years. Darrell

14. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I use a powder baffle on my Grabber but I don't use one on my 650. I can't tell any difference...........Roger

15. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Glad this thread was started! I agree with Rick Johnson and Hauxfan completely. I, too, have been troubled by the use of two washers in the MEC set-up; troublesome when you have to change charge bars for a different shot drop - they fall out and have to be carefully replaced; disaster when the washers either bind the charge bar or slip and leak powder all over or, worse, cause light, undercharged reloads. I went to the red PC baffle and so far, seems to work fine. I like the idea of using the larger bottle and keeping it at least half full of powder. Thanks for all the comments. Best Regards, Ed

16. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

The red plastic PC baffle cures the dribbles.

17. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

Yes, the red plastic PC baffle. On a 650, I had problems with the black rubber o-ring coming out of place and causing powder to leak and probably inconsistant drops. I'm using Clays. The PC baffle cured the o-ring (by eliminating it) and powder leaking issues. Making the drops more consistant, now that's another kettle of fish!

18. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Yup, red PC baffle in all my 9000H machines.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

All these posts and nobody hit it.

When the bottle is empty your bushing or bar will throw lighter because of no weight pushing down.

If you always refill your bottle when it is only half empty you don't need a baffle.

If you let it run way down you will benefit from having one, as to consistency.

Plus the leakge issues mentioned.

HM

20. gordy h

gordy h Member

I load 700x and found more even powder drops with out the red baffle, it's in the drawer for now Butch H

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec powder baffle

mec powder baffle for sale
mec powder baffle problems
pc powder baffle
pc powder baffle for mec reloaders
powder baffle
powder baffle for mec reloaders
problems with the powder baffle