1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder baffel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ens, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ens

ens TS Member

Are powder baffels needed to get uniform powder loads?

2. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

ditto!

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

In fact, MEC recommends not using one.

Ed

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've never had a good reason to use one. I've experienced powder bridging in the baffle, so I will leave mine in the box to collect dust. No reason to add something else that can cause trouble.

6. Erik W

Erik W Member

I run hot & cold on baffles. They are certainly not necessary. They do reduce leakage of very fine powders like PB or even Longshot. Use one on my 410 loader. The red plastic one seems to work best with no rubber or brass washers in place.

7. warren

warren Member

I just bought a new RCBS Grand and it came with a powder baffle which I installed and it works fine.

warren

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Which loader and what baffle design?

9. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have a P-W with hydraulics. I read an indepth article quite a few years ago which compared factory shell variations in speed vs. reloads. There were several tables in this article which compared speeds vs. different control methods. The factory shells variance was higher than any of the reloaded controls. The least variance in speeds was obtained with the reloader having a positive earth ground, powder and shot baffles in place and hydraulic actuator. The hydraulic actuator delivered the same amount of vibration load to load, the baffles contribution was that of maintaining the same head pressure on the powder and shot whether the tubes were full or almost empty, the grounding removed static which will cause flakes to adhere to the loader with some powders. Being an engineer and seeing how this study appeared to be performed with sound control methods, I have not loaded any shells since that the loader was grounded, baffled and hydraulic assist. You may need laboratory testing to verify these differences but baffles come with presses for a reason and they are free.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

The small baffles that are in the neck area of some reloaders seem to cause a few problems. Other baffles that span a large area in the hopper and are several inches above the powder bushing seem to work well. The baffle in my reloader is about 4-5 inches wide.

Pat Ireland

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have been using the pot metal baffle in my MEC Grabber and MEC-9000H for more years than I can remember and I have never had any problems with them, regardless of which powder I'm using. I did, however, have static problems with the red plastic one I had which I subsequently threw away. I get pretty much the same drops when the bottle is full or almost empty.... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

PW has them (baffles) internal to the hoppers. I have universal charge bars on my MECs and I use the red plastic powder baffles - nothing on the shot. Without the powder baffles on the MECs, they leak powder. The metal baffle leaks powder. The red plastic one keeps the powder where it belongs. I have never run a MEC without the universal charge bar so I cannot say if the MEC bars leak or not.

13. MnClays

MnClays TS Member

Some of the best advice I ever received regarding reloading was from a very wise
    old senior vet ATA shooter; "for consistant loads, never allow your powder bottle to become less than half full when reloading..."

14. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I use fine-grained PB powder, have no baffles under my MEC's powder reservoir and have absolutely no powder leakage using just MEC's rubber grommet and brass washer. The baffles that go in a reservoir work much better than the ones that go under the reservoir because they can't clog but unfortunately, you can't put one in a MEC reservoir.

I just opened some new jugs of PB and took a minute or two to check my drop weights. They went down two tenths of a grain from the old lot of powder but they were consistent right to the tenth - again, with no baffle.

In addition to always keeping a couple of inches of powder in the reservoir, I'll suggest that consistent operation of the loader is the most important part of getting consistent powder drops. That is yet another advanatge to having a hydraulic or electric operator for your loader - the dwell time at the bottom of the stroke is always the same.

Ed

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

But Ed, after viewing your ultra clean and highly organized reloading bench on another thread, I suspect that you may only load one or two shells each year.

Pat Ireland

16. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

The only time I had irregular pwd. throws in my MEC 9000H was when I tried a baffle.
    Joe Jordan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.