1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder and Moisture

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hipshot 3, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Tant true! That gummy,black crap is only good what fer to put on sceeter bites!

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

It comes in sealed, opaque containers.

I think that should tell you something.

I don't leave it in the measure between loading sessions - but then I am anal about reloading.

Many people leave powder in the measure for weeks (months?).

Take your pick.

Don

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What you heard is true. Red Dot has been kept under water at the factory for close to 100 years. They take some out every year and test fire it. HMB

4. Alliant Reloading

Alliant Reloading TS Member

rev/Squibb,

Smokeless powders are in fact hygroscopic, so they will gain and lose moisture at some level, depending on their formulation and the storage conditions. Some powders are more affected in this area than others. At Alliant we try to formulate our products to minimize moisture movement, since moisture has an effect on the burn rate of the powder. Some single base powders will exhibit wide ballistic swings from humid to arid climates, and that is the major reason the domestic ammunition manufacturers do not use single base powders in their products. They want to know the ballistics in the summer in the southeast will be similar to the southwest, and similar to what they produced. Our e3(R) is a good example of a product we designed to do just that.

Regarding the powder we have stored in water for 100 years, that is Unique(R) which was produced in 1899.

Shoot well,
    Paul

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Paul: It's good to see that a manufacturer actually reads this site and will answer or explain.

PS. Downrange included

PSS. And a few others I can't remember

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.