1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Potterfields DONATE $1.6 million to SCTP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Potterfields Donate $1.6 million to Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation

Columbia, MO -(Ammoland.com)- Larry and Brenda Potterfield of MidwayUSA recently donated $1.6 Million to the Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation to support youth shooting programs.

The Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation (SSSF) is an educational-athletic organization that exists to introduce school-age youths to the clay target sports and to facilitate their continued involvement by providing, promoting, and perpetuating opportunities to safely and enjoyably participate and compete in a high-quality, team-based sport led by trained adult coaches focused on enhancing the personal growth and development of their athletes.

“Thanks to the generous support of people like Larry and Brenda Potterfield, the Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation will be able to introduce the clay target sports to more youth across the nation and give them the opportunity to participate in high-quality team-based competitions like Scholastic Clay Target Program,” said Russ Arnold, Executive Director of SSSF. “A donation like this from the Potterfields will go a long way in helping us achieve our mission of developing more young shooters, and furthering the future of our sport.”

Larry Potterfield, Founder and CEO of MidwayUSA, remarked, “Teaching our youth about shooting and shooting safety will ensure a better future for America. Brenda and I are proud to partner with SSSF and their efforts to change the future by engaging youths through scholastic shooting programs.”

For more information about the Potterfields or MidwayUSA, please visit www.midwayusa.com or call
    1-800-243-3220.

For more information about the Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation, please visit www.sssfonline.org

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/11/17/potterfields-donate-1-6-million-to-scholastic-shooting-sports-foundation/

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Fantastic.

Some years ago I called Midway, and when I asked, Brenda said "just a minute, he's out playing ball with the kids".

Their success is well deserved, and giving back is very classy.

HM

3. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

Support those that support us!

Thanks!

4. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Very cool. I'm going to place an order with Midway as soon as I log off from here. I need a .300 Win headspace gauge.

5. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Bet there's are no strings.....like.....the money has to go to only a few big dogs.

The you know who should wise up.

6. rocko

rocko Member

Good people.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

I understand they made an offer to the ATA but it was turned down as there were "strings attached"? Never did learn how "tangled" those strings were.

Good to see the money going to a shooting organization instead of a political weenie.

Don Verna

8. Joe Potosky

9. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Its great to see these good people helping this good program!

10. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

And that's why I do business whenever I can with Midway.

James

11. roger8918

roger8918 Member

I can't understand why this news is not receiving more praise on this site. Come on people....the Potterfield's just donated 1.6 MILLION US DOLLARS to help promote the sport that you say you so love. What does someone need to do to merit some praise from this bunch?

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

You are correct Roger, that is an extremely generous donation for promotion of the shooting sports.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

221 has demonstrated both great ignorance and disgusting manners.

Pat Ireland

14. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Okay, Ireland....now you are making personal accusations ......how about getting it out and to the point.....

1. what was ignorant about my comment? Have you forgot the fiasco just prior to the grand????????

Have you forgotten that the donors and the ata rewarded mostly pro shooters while dissing the youth programs???????

And please tell us about the tax benefits for those that have enormous amounts of cash to pass on the tax burden to....Not counting the "CHARITIES" that reward themselves, usually because they are able to avoid paying taxes.....

2. I may have disgusting manners according to your over washed life, so-called gentlemen hate people like me, and I'm proud to have the stones to speak up.......I won't sugar coat anything......whether it pleases you or not.

Those that hide behind that gentleman crap are the ones that disgust me. They will shoot, stab, screw, steal,....from you and and all the while, claim it is you, that is disgusting.....

As for the Potterfields......my hats off to them and their family......I for one will be spending more of my funds with their organization......Companies like theirs and their support of our youth programs, are the future of all shooting sports. Thank You.

I"M Disgusting......look in the mirror.......just what gives you the right to label me anymore than I, you????????????

BTW.....just what is the ata's "Charity" anyway?????.....Please be specific.

Happy Thanksgiving.....Ireland.....and remember, you are supposed to... be nice.

15. 870

870 Well-Known Member

221:

Specifically, how did the donors to the ATA "diss" the youth programs? Isn't it possible that their view on the matter was that the Grand needed some excitement as in the distant past when there was some real money to be won in the handicaps at the Grand? Is it "dissing" just because they may have a different concern than you do? Come on, they tried to be generous and as we all know, no good deed goes unpunished, at least on this site. I agree it was a good idea to have a large purse instead of watering it down so much like we see today all over. I wasn't a great fan of the format actually used, but certainly appreciate that something was done.

The ATA is a 501(c)(3) because its main activity is to foster national amateur sports competition. Youth sports certainly help, but are by no means the primary activity in the tax status.

Regarding the tax benefits: one thing I can tell you is that the donors had a lot less cash available after the donation than before.

16. Joe Potosky

Thank MidwayUSA Directly

Larry Potterfield, Founder and CEO

Email: larrypotterfield@midwayusa.com

Larry Potterfield,
    Office of the President,
    5875 West Van Horn Tavern Rd.,
    Columbia, MO 65203

http://www.midwayusa.com/

* By the way, highly unusual to see the CEO's email listed.

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

Whiskey Turkey Foxtrot!!!!

A very good company gives $1.6 million dollars to support shooting and we end up in a pissing match!!!

I am ignorant about why the Potterfield offer was rejected by the ATA. So, in the spirit of openness and honesty, could someone who KNOWS why the offer was unacceptable enlighten me?

If it is the the BOD or EC minutes, posting a link would be appreciated. If the discussion was "in camera", I will remain ignorant like our friend 221.

Don Verna

PS: 221 - ignorance is not as bad as being stupid. Not knowing something makes us ignorant. Not being able to learn or understand something makes us stupid. Sometimes, those in power want/need to keep us ignorant. This is justified as "being in our best interests".

That famous line by Jack Nicholson in the movie A Few Good Men comes to mind - "You can't handle the truth". Truth can be "uncomfortable" and those who "look out for us" may decide ignorance is bliss, and we are better off that way.

This is not altogether bad. Telling a young child the truth about Santa or the Easter Bunny is delayed until they can handle the news.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.