1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POTENTIAL BLOWUP WITH NITRO 27 RELOAD

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BDodd, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

This happened to a AA class Sporting Clays shooter at the Oregon State Shoot on Sunday. First off, the man is a long time and careful reloader. He is a good friend and neighbor to me. He loads on a modern Grabber from MEC and uses Clays, WW primers, and Remington STS and Nitro hulls and only rarely new shells. He shoots a Beretta 682 O/U for all events.

Having completed about 2/3 of the featured 200 bird event, he found himself at a station with a crossing chandelle and a bird from behind flying out over his head. These were 4 true pairs for each contestant. Using reloaded Nitro 27s, the shooter destroyed the first 3 pairs without anything odd happening. When he removed the last two spent hulls, he did so without looking at the hulls and they were stored in a bag on his hip. In trying to load the last 2 shells into the gun, he found the upper barrel would not take the new charge. The upper shell stopped before dropping into the chamber by about 1/2 inch. He tried to fiddle with that shell several ways but finally cleared the gun of shells and saw that there was something blocking the entire chamber of that upper barrel.

After several minutes of trying to clear the upper chamber and using every device available, he saw that the previous shot through the barrel left the entire plastic hull in the forward end of the forcing cone and checked his shell bag to find only the brass end of one of the previous shots. It is thought it would likely have been another disaster had his gun accepted the live round and fired behind that complete plastic hull blockage. Needless to say he and his shootmates checked their hulls and barrels pretty religiously for the rest of the day.........breakemall

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

happens to me with Fed papers all the time. I load them until they are pretty bad but I am very careful about the exact same issue. I always make sure I get a complete hull from the chamber

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Have seen that with just about every hull on the market at some time or another over the past 45 + years that I have been a shooter\re-loader. As per CC I also like Fed. papers soooooooo! I check for a complete hull after EVERY shot, I shoot a pump (M31 TC) so I also blow in the receiver to check for a puff of smoke to tell me the bbl. is clear.

Had (saw) that happen about 2 months ago with an HS AA while shooting a practice with a buddy he opened his SBT & only the brass came out, had to drive the plastic out with a dowel rod, he noticed it immediately so no problem, the complete hull was intact base wad and all just pulled the brass off.

Can't be too careful. Break-em all they don't refunds for the ones you miss (chuckle) Ross Puls

4. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Cubancigar-

I have heard of (and experienced personally) this problem with new (unused) Federal GM plastic hulls, but this is the first time I've heard of it with Federal papers. Have you had a hull/base separation occur with new Federal papers or just reloads?

Ted K.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Just reloads Ted. I use them 5-7 times and when they get thin they tend to do it. I shoot a 303 auto so it is easy to recognize when it happens and a simple inzertion of my finger in the chamber will usually draw the hull out easily

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'll re-confirm the issue with Fed. paper hulls. My occurrence was a reload with a SX-1 auto loader several years ago. I had a normal enough shot and found the brass base preventing the insertion of a fresh shell. I had to wrestle some getting the brass base out of the gun and never thought that the paper hull (with no base) could still be in the barrel and finished some 12 or 13 shots of a round of trap. The only sign something was amiss was that the last shots were producing more recoil than expected. BUT the incident with the Fed. paper did NOT have the paper/cardboard base of the hull stuck in the barrel. This incident with the Nitro 27 hull had the entire plastic base still attached to the hull which would have created a lot more pressure and likely a blown or severely damaged barrel......breakemall

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

And how many times can you load those hulls ?? 5-6-10 times and then there are problems !!!! It is just a matter of time until one lets go and separates . Never happened to me but then again I let the older ones fly and always check the barrel since I only shoot reloads .

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

ljutic111, my personal experience with the modern Remington shells is that they can normally take 10 to 15 loadings before the crimps give up and I've never had one loose the whole plastic hull like this event. In other words, I generally expect crimps to fail my personal test before the whole hull. I have a habit of looking at the shells just shot and taken from the gun but I will try to make a habit of at least a quick glance down the barrel(s) as sarge suggests from now on too. Think of how many shooters open the gun, let whatever is ejected fly over their shoulder, and drop new shells in without looking? Maybe this will change some of those habits......breakemall

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I remember when I first got acquainted with my 366. I was putting a small crease in the hull (where it meets the brass)and this cause a few premature hull failures. I quickly found the reason why and changed my final crimp adjustment.

ss

10. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Over the years,I have had numerous Federal plastic shells separate(burn off) at the front of the the shell head with the plastic part going out the barrel with the shot, leaving the brass and plastic balance in the chamber. This was usually with heavy 1-1/4 loads and heavier. This is the only brand I ever had it happen to. It never seemed to hurt anything. Clyde

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

One more view!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.