1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Posting Your Name / Email / Security

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Claymuncher, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

If you sat down with my brother at his computer and let him show you how far he can go with just your name you would never post your real name or email address. He makes a living on computers and his hobby is seeing how far he can go. Having fun with my limited knowledge of computers, every once in a while he will Email me and tell me he likes my new desktop photo or tells me to take my bank statements out of a certain file, in other words he has my computer in front of him and could do what he wants on it because he knows my computers IP. Your IP is Internet Protocal address that every computer has so servers can find your computer. Thier are limitations, your internet connection type, firewalls, some servers are using firewalls but have little success as it fills up the band width of that server slowing it down which they do not want. Your computer does not even have to be up and running, hacks can send a trojan to you via your email and have it turn your computer on in the middle of the night through the power managment software in your computer, then it finds your IP and sends it out in a reply to the original trojan address. He also mentioned if your name is linked to a company IP through the companies web site, In the who we are section that lists the managment or sales of that company, that is what they are looking for, a way in. So first they get a name or mail address on TS, run it and find that name works for a company that would be worth their time. They reverse/link it back to your computers IP through your company contact address for information about the company and while they are thier they go to your cookies and find every one of your passwords, then on to your favorites to find your online banking and credit card company. Hackers cruise forums for names and email addresses, that is a fact. But most of us are not worth thier time. How my brother explained is, their are levels of ability that hackers have. The top hacks would not bother cruising forums but the ones that do it for fun or to gather information to sell to the higher hacks do cruise the forums. The problem being their are thousands of the lower level hacks that make a living selling the information they gather. Another thing some do to make information easy to steal, when one signs up for a forum, that forum usually asked personal information questions, (what, they think a forum is secure), why someone would give it I cannot fathom but never put any actual info or email address when signing up to a forum, I quess a forums code is the easiest to get into. If you want to list an Email on a forum open up a gmail account, gmail or hotmail is not linked directly to your computers IP, unless you open an active file protocal attached to a mail in that account, which is the way malware is spread.

Say what you like but you will never see my name/mail on any forum.

CM

Note : I have to say something in my brothers defense as I leave it sounding like he is a potential thief. Their are a lot of hackers out their that play the game totally for the game of it. He says "it is enough to know I can do it" Besides it is a federal offense and he is doing to well to risk it. But I could never get him to shoot trap darn it. He also said this is a fairly secure site as the only communications are through personal messages within the site, except for the idiots that list their name and Email address, his words.

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

It sounds like you better stay on the good side of your brother. lol

Hauxfan!

3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

OK, I give in. No more posting my name or town.
    Now it's

Gene in Illinois

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Good advise. Thank you.

5. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I thought Ip addresses were easy to get from an email. Has that changed? Ray

6. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

They are, just right click on the mail header, go to properties/details and their is the senders IP address. So if you send a mail reply to the wrong person they have yours. It is not easy to get into a PC but it can and does happen a lot, i.e. Identity theft. The program has to be made available to your hard drive usually by opening a file attached to an email or a link to a site. Never open a file or go to a link that does not seem right. Make a concious effort to stay aware, always stop and ask yourself if this feels right. I got an email the other day saying my American Express account has found a suspect charge to my card and I should click on the link below. It looked in every way a page from an AE web site. I do not have an American Express and as soon as my computer found that web site, my hard drive would be opened like a can of worms. I get suspicious emails almost daily from my companies web site, but all you have to do is stay aware. I have not been hit yet.

CM

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Invest in good anti-virus software. I use Norton 360. Use a firewall.

Don't click on anything in an email that you do not understand completely. Use common sense. Scams are easy to identify.

Now can someone tell me how they get my credit card number. I have had my Chase card cancelled three times in two years. It always happens on a Sunday arternoon when I am at the gun club. This time it was $1926 on clothing in New York and $5000 at a BMW dealer in Virginia. Got a text message from Chase about a suspicious charge. I responded. They killed the card and removed the charges. UPS will bring new cards tomorrow.

Jim Skeel

8. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Jim : Sometimes it is not your computer. Their was a restaurant in the area where a worker was stealing credit card numbers taken from patrons. Gas stations are good for that. Is thier some place you used that card on any given day that might link to those dates? Thier is a reason it happens on a Sunday.

Or they put a trojan in your computer that your firewall missed. I use Webroot which updates daily and is the best. If your antivirus is not updated daily they can still get in if yours is not aware of the new program. Not sure if Norton updates that often. Besides, Norton and others are aimed at a virus and malware more than keeping a hacker out of your computer and a firewall if it were a good one would slow down your computer, so they only really do a token amount of security. Real firewalls that large companies use and actually work are custom made.

It makes sense they spread it out over a period of time just to keep you from figuring it out, but it is more likely your card number is being stolen from a retail vendor.

JS, who lives on the east coast and has a Chase card and probably listed your home email address with this forum, take your name off your post and get a gmail for your forums.

CM

9. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

I just got an Email that used a "New pics" as the subject. It read "I got the new photos and they are at this link, Check them out."

I do not know the mail address so it is a Malware link. Why should anyone send my company photos, if anyone did it would be my personal address which is pretty well guarded. As I said and a few of you probably know that have a bussiness with a web site, I get these daily and some of them are real inventive. Or they just find addresses on a forum like TS.

They will probably send out a thousand or even ten thousand of these a day and if they catch one or two sleeping, Bingo.

Would it not be nice to find these guys, spend some time with the pliers and a hammer.

Note : Your antivirus or firewall will not stop an email with a link. Or an attached file.

CM

10. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Yeah........My name is Joe Flabeets.....My Email address is Ahole@nunja.com.......and my securities are in the bank............good luck!

J.P.Flabeets

11. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

I read that close to half of the interest collected by credit card companies are used to off set fraud. As long as we pay it, they will not spend the money developing a safer system, which they could. Bottom line rules again, passing the buck.

CM

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Ebay and Paypal phishing emails should be forwarded to spoof@ebay.com and likewise spoof@paypal.com.

I forward them and get nice return messages convirming the spoof.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.