1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Posting Scores?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beretta Kid, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta Kid

Beretta Kid TS Member

I come from a Sporting Clays Background and was wondering why when clubs post the Trap scores they only post the shooters that win/place/tie and do not post all scores?

I always like to see where I stood amongst the competition, but without all the scores posted I only know how close I was to first?

Has it always been done this way for Trap?

In Sporting they post all scores so everyone can see where they stand, and they can keep up with their shooting friends scores too...

Thanks!

BK

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

BK - I suspect that the club you shoot at does not post all scores but most other clubs do.

Pat Ireland

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto Pat, I've never been to a club where all scores weren't posted - I've certainly been to shoots where it was awful slow though.....Bob Dodd

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

All scores must be posted.

How do you verify your scores to maintain your card if they do not post the scores? Maintaining your scores current is an ATA requirement.

Some shoots take a long time to get the scores posted but I cannot believe they do not post all of them.

Don Verna

5. Beretta Kid

Beretta Kid TS Member

I guess I wasn't clear on Posting... I am referring to posting them on the net after the event. All events post them on the score board at the event, but most I have been to only post winners on the net? I like to see all scores?

I know they will get posted on the ATA sight soon, (much sooner than NSCA) but you have to lool up each shooter individually.

Is ther a website that post all scores from big events?

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

As soon as 4 squads are done we post the scores. Payouts for an event are up 15 minutes after the last scores are posted to give the shooters a chance to check their scores in case there's a mistake.

Eric

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

If RJ Stuart is doing the cashiering you can usually find all the shoot info on their website. www.rjstuart.com.

Eric

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

For most shoots, posting the scores on the net would be very time consuming. An average to small state shoot would require around 2,500 postings (+- 40 squads/12 events). If all the larger shoots were posted on one web site, there could easily be half a million postings on the site. Wouldn't that be fun to read.

Pat Ireland

9. Beretta Kid

Beretta Kid TS Member

Wow I must really be looking at this different? Or maybe you are?

Post the same score sheet that the club prints off the computer and puts up on the score board...

one post per shoot, not per event, show all scores not just the winners...

Maybe on their home web page? or even on trapscores.com? (Hey this might be something for you computer gurus to work on? i want me commission!)

How hard can it be?

10. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

for more computer minded folks, it's easy to print a .pdf and upload it or even just copy and paste out of the excel .xls workbook into a forum post like lots of NSCA shoots do at the Shotgun Sports forum. And some shoots don't have the scores hosted on the ATA site, though the option and ability is there, I believe?

Phil

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

A lot of sporting clays events are being posted on iClays.com

Its pretty slick.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

How many Sporting Clays shoots have over 250,000 targets thrown?

Pat Ireland

13. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

timb99, I'm sure it is slick, I wish I could see it! I don't like that iClays is NSCA member only.

14. Beretta Kid

Beretta Kid TS Member

What does that have to do with posting scores?

15. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

BK,

Check out the State scores at the top of the thread list. The title is "State Shoot Results and/or Scores". Go to the Idaho page and look at one of the events. The winners doc is at the top. Events below the winners. Is this what you're referring to - events?

I've asked your same question, went to a shoot and learned some things from the guy doing the numbers. What I learned was you won't see ATA numbers until the local club submits them, so if there's a delay, that's one possible cause. The ATA waits to post the numbers until the money arrives even if the files with all the scores arrive the day after the shoot. Money is mailed in which is slow...maybe the ATA doesn't get to it right away, so you wait.

To see all the rounds on line, the shoot must have their own website and initiative to do the posting. Volunteers run out of steam and one more thing to do at the end is just too much at times.

I think your question is valid. Once you're done shooting all you have is the memories and the numbers. We're numbers based in a big way. David here on ts.com was very generous to give some time to solving this problem. I hope it catches on.

Joe

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hokie,

I'm not in NSCA, and I can view it fine.

Go to the website.

Select "Tournament Results"

Click on one of the events listed.

Then click on "All" to see all event scores.

There are some other neat features, such as comparing selected shooters, and viewing station scores.

I am not sure if this site can be used for ATA events.

Tim

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

As was stated, it's pretty simple to make a .pdf file from the results and have it posted on a website. And yeah, if someone supplied the raw data in a excel or word format several of us could do it...

18. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

cut & paste ?

19. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

In the case of the 3S software, you get a .QRP (quick report) file. David is able to convert that to a pdf and url it.

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Beretta Kid Pat Ireland asked you:

"How many Sporting Clays shoots have over 250,000 targets thrown?"

Your response was:

"What does that have to do with posting scores?"

The PA state shoot was last month the total number entries for all events was 10358 entries if we use the figure 100 targets per shooter per event that is 1,035,800 targets thrown that is one state shoot.

That represents posting on line posting 10358 shooter scores. That is to post all the score as you seem to feel is so easy.

Just out of curiosity how many man hours do think it would take to complete this task???? Remember this is one state shoot the Ohio State shoot had another 9168 shooters.

If you still think you have a reasonable request maybe you better think about setting up your own web site and taking on the job of post the results you wish to see posted on line.

BTW except for the companies that cashier these shoots for a pay check the states that post score on line on their own are usually done on a volunteer basis.

I happen to feel that your request is just a bit unreasonable.

In your original post you asked three questions:

"I come from a Sporting Clays Background and was wondering why when clubs post the Trap scores they only post the shooters that win/place/tie and do not post all scores?"

To answer this question You are correct although earlier in the season some of the western states posted all scores.

"I always like to see where I stood amongst the competition, but without all the scores posted I only know how close I was to first?"

All I can say to you about this one is if it is that important to you you should stick around until all the scores are post at the club and get your information there.

"Has it always been done this way for Trap?"

Well quit frankly no it hasn't always been done this way in trap. The sport has been holding championship shoots of this type for well over 100 years and of course we have only had internet services for a small fraction of that time.

So for many it isn't a big deal they survived without internet services for most of their careers with out any ill effects.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.