1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

postal idea

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by dbcook, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

perhaps the post office should consider eliminating a few of there paid holidays to balance their budget instead of cutting one day off for mail delivery. the fed.govt & the banks should consider eliminating a few paid holidays also. what is your opinion? dwain

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Maybe you should consider eliminating one of your days off and a sick day or to also, and send the money to the post office.

I'll bet you don't know the post office is managed by a private corporation, not the government.

My daughter is a mail carrier. She can outwork 90 percent of the people on this forum. I put a roof on her house (45 degree pitch) and she was right up there outworking me all the way. go pick on the UAW.

HM

3. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

halfmile,i average 70 hours a week.no sick days ,no paid holidays. & have done this for the last 30 years or so. sounds like you have a burr under your saddle. if i wanted to pick on the uaw i would have started a thread about the uaw. i stand by my idea that the post office,the state & fed govt & the banks eliminate a few of their paid holidays. i am glad that you have a daughter that is a worker.good for you & her, & i send money to the post office every time i mail a letter.dwain

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Maybe they could use their time a little better, instead of filling my box with junk mail that goes right in the garbage can. HMB

5. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

And I think we need to cut back on the number of days they deliver mail. Why do we need to receive it 6 days a week? Seems once a week should do. Or maybe twice....Once for real mail and another day for junk mail.

And I really never like the slow service I see and receive when I do have to go to the post office.Ray

6. primed

primed Well-Known Member

What is the private corporation that manages the Postal Service??? Really curious about this.

X Trap 2 - what do you have to go to the post office for? You can get stamps by mail or at many grocery stores. If you use "click and ship" they will pick up your parcels at the front door for free. There is no better way to ship a gun than registered mail in my opinion and you do have to take that to the Post Office I guess.

If the Post office only delivered first class mail, the cost to the consumer would be much higher than it is now. EE is almost right. Junk mail does not keep the Post Office in business but it does keep all of our rates lower.

dbc61451 - I can't decide if you're bragging or complaining.

Bob

7. waterhouselake

waterhouselake TS Member

The post office has lost a lot of business to online bill paying, fax machines, and email. What they won't change is their work rules. The PO is also highly unionized. Surprise!!! I heard they also want to raise the price of a stamp to make up for their decreased volume. That will do nothing more than add more incentive to people to use even more of the three forementioned. New Zealand privatized their postal system.

8. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

The post office is competing with the new post office, the internet, which never sleeps. If they cut a day, I feel people will get pissed, increase emailing and really do some damage. Dave T.

9. BPSR

BPSR Member

I think 5 day a wek mail would be fine myself. You all can complain about lazy postal workers, but I wouldn't want that job, at least not in the colder, snowy climates especially. Eliminating the paid holidays will help decrease costs how? If they aren't off, they are working, which means they are getting paid regardless as I see it.

10. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Isn't it amazing that no one works as hard as we do!!

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

dbc61451

"halfmile,i average 70 hours a week.no sick days ,no paid holidays. & have done this for the last 30 years or so."

Well aren't you the dedicated employee and can you also tell the name of the lucky company that you work for?

One more thing if I work for the Postal service on a five day a week basis and have 13 holidays a year and we eliminate 5 am I not going to get the same money/pay one way or the other?

Bob Lawless

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Try depending on it in business. Doesn't work. Most business are open and working they are off then they bitch about double mail the next day or regular carrier takes next day off so he/she doesn't have to do the double load. Overnight or next day means 3 to 4 days so we use Fed Ex. Attitude go to the local PO.

Having said all that, our current regular carrier is good and trys to take care of us, get a sub and crap happens.

Don

13. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

ivanhoe,i am self employed the hours come with my line of work which is the transportation business. not bragging or complaining. but i do have a question for you.you always cut & paste someone,s opinion or question on your reply before answering. is this so you don,t forget what you are answering to? it seems that everyone is sacrificing these days & with all the financial pressures on everyone,why are there so many opposed to the post office,the govt, & the banks sacrificing a few holidays that we,as the consumer,tax payer & customer pay for. let,s see we have given the banks billions in bailout money, we pay taxes up the ying-yang & every time we turn around the post office is increasing rates.i stand by my point that the post office .banks & govt.sacrifice a few benefits themselves. have a good day.i am going to work. dwain

14. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

If they cut back, why not eliminate Sat delivery? Give the workers a 2 day weekend like most other people but not stop delivering on a weekday. Besides, that would make more of the postal folks available for 2 day shoots.

15. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

News flash. The USPS "IS" considering eliminating delivery by one day a week. It was in the news last week. They are considering a weekday, not Saturday.

16. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

one other thing.AIG admitted awhile back that it wasn,t the subprime mortgage business that got them in trouble,it was the oil futures that they were heavily invested in. & who bails them out? the govt. & where does the govt get their money? from us the taxpayer. oil futures is what bankrupted lehman also. the big 3 are to make sacrifices for getting bailout money,so why don,t the govt. the banks & the post office make sacrifices also? instead of the post office working one less day a week,work a few of the paid holidays they receive so we as consumers get something for our money. i am not talking of major holidays,but holidays such as presidents day or mlk hoilday. dwain

17. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

As a 22-year career employee of the United States Postal Service, I might offer an "inside" opinion, however most would probably not listen or care...........

I've always maintained - never have I been in a field of endeavor where John Q. Public knows more about what I do than myself, even though I am the one actually doing it !!

To answer the actual topic of this thread : We get 10 paid holidays a year at the Postal Service. That is undeniable FACT. Do a Google search on "postal holidays" if you do not believe what I am telling you. The factory job I left to join the Postal Service paid me for NINE, plus 2 personal days of my choice - for a total of 11 paid "holidays". What did I gain ? Perhaps one of the previous posters could enlighten me.........

The major difference is that Postal holidays tend to mirror Federal days off, as opposed to those centered around National (or religious) holidays. We do not get Good Friday off ; we do not get the Friday after Thanksgiving off, and we get ONE day at Christmas (the day, itself). In their places, we have Martin Luther King day ; President's day ; Columbus day & Veteran's day holidays. Aside from the paid vacations we receive, there are no "personal days" at the Postal Service.

Mind you -- I am not bitching about my holiday benefit. Again -- I am merely setting the record STRAIGHT, for those who seem to think that we have an over-abundance of paid holiday time off.

Concerning what every one (and their brothers) call "junk mail"......Standard rate or Bulk rate mail is heavily discounted to mailers as an incentive to allow them to saturate demographic areas within a proximity that will provide a business advantage, in the form of customer patronage. Due to its discounted rate, bulk mail must be of a much heavier proportion of the total mail volume to realize a financial benefit for the Postal Service. The down-turn in economic conditions has resulted in a decrease in this type of mailings, even though you "think" you are getting more. The real comparison is that you are getting LESS First Class mail.

First Class mail has long-been the real "bread & butter" of our revenue generation. However -- given the dramatic decrease in this type of mail in an electronic era (internet & e-mail), first class revenue can no longer sustain its portion of the coiffers required to operate status quo.

This decrease in volume-driven revenue has left the Postal Service in a rather dire quandary, especially in these times of a recessive economy. Raising postal rates is a double-edged sword. It will generate more revenue PER PIECE, but at what cost ? (no pun intended). If it costs more to do business, and there is no return on your investment, you are forced to scale your operation.

Some of the options being discussed involve the closure of smaller, less-profitable Post Offices (unpopular with customers served by those offices). Another real possibility is the elimination of 6-day delivery. The Postmaster General has already petitioned Congress to consider such a change. This will also be unpopular with the general public, which has become accustomed to Monday-Friday mail service to their homes. Business and banking would incur a tremendous burden under such a provision - greater magnified (again) in the economic climate we are currently experiencing.

To those who promote privatization of the mail service as the GOD-send to all woes, I might offer this : If it were broken down into actual dollars & cents, it does not cost the Postal Service 42 cents to mail your grandson's birthday card to your daughter's house a mere 3 blocks away. However -- it DOES cost a "ton" more to mail that same birthday card, if your grandson lives in a remote area of northern Maine.

Privatization would put an end to universal service at a universal rate. Think about it. We live in a capitalistic nation. Private delivery companies would flock to the major metropolitan areas, where delivery is "easy" and profits would be high. Any company with a fleet of trucks could set up in a large city ; drive the mail across town, and make money doing so. You tell me......who is going to want rural delivery, where travel expenses are high ; where vehicle maintenance is constant ; where harsh weather elements wreak a greater havoc upon your operation ? We can all kiss nationwide, universal service "goodbye", folks..............

Under the current universal service clause, all one need do is stick that 42-cent stamp on their grandson's birthday card ; place it in the mailbox and wait for their letter carrier to pick it up and direct it into the system. Seems kinda' simple to me......no work ; no worry ; no rain, snow, sleet or scorching heat to deal with.

And STILL, we bitch.........................

I'll end my soapbox rant with one last thing, and that concerns the actual work performed by (and the attitude of) today's employees at the Postal Service.

Personally - I grew up in a family of 8 children. We lived on a farm, with a 400-tree peach orchard. I had a very "old-school" up-bringing. We wore hand-me-down clothes ; shared bedrooms.....the whole "nine yards". If you had a hand-held transistor radio, you were the COOL kid in the area. I know what it is to WORK, and I learned it at a very early age. I was taught to be honest and to do everything right - the first time. This attitude carries over into everything I do, to this day.

So - to those who might refer to me as an over-paid, union-protected lazy ass -you can LITERALLY perform an action upon yourselves that my etiquitte will not allow me to type here. I work in an office with some 150 full-time regular letter carriers, and I am the ONLY one who has abdicated from the union that "protects" us. I do not need the union (or anyone else, for that matter) to guarantee my job. My dedication to excellence and to my own personal satisfaction are the only guarantees I look to.

Even after growing up on the afore-mentioned farm and orchard (and working as a CHILD), this job is undoubtedly the most difficult and taxing form of employment I have known in my working career. Mail routes are mal-aligned and adjusted to be more than 8-hour assignments ; Postal management thrives in a protected culture of intimidation and harrassment of emplyees to "make the numbers" - numbers that are derived from computer programs written by managerial wizards whose only mail-carrying experience has ever been to retrieve their own over-inflated salary and bonus checks from a mailbox - probably placed there in a snow storm, by the same letter carrier they claim is not doing enough to save the Postal Service from demise !

Are many of us "old-timers" bitter? You're DAMN right, we are ! We are subjected to some of the worst working conditions possible - with regard to weather, traffic, uncontrolled animals, oppressive management AND a (largely) ungrateful public. Factor into the equation the influx of a younger generation of "give a sh-t less" employees who drag down the opinions of all of us, I think I have a right to be.

If you have a less-than-stellar performer as your mail carrier, I feel for you. I cannot apologize for them, for I too, share your comtempt at what has happened to the once-great institution I toil for. I only suggest that you do not include me amongst those when you type nonsense such as "fire them all".

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

dbc61451

"but i do have a question for you.you always cut & paste someone,s opinion or question on your reply before answering. is this so you don,t forget what you are answering to?"

Well just you will understand if you are capable. First I don't cut and paste I copy and paste there is a difference. The reason I do it is because many time when someone makes a statement that later in the conversation the words that the poster has said get changed. They claim I never said that, then they delete the post that you are referring to. This way they can delete what they have said but they can't delete what I reproduce in my posts that means they can't say I never said that. Do you understand now?

As far as you being self employed I knew that when I made the statement about you being a good employee. With that being said you made some statement.

"i average 70 hours a week.no sick days ,no paid holidays. & have done this for the last 30 years or so. sounds like you have a burr under your saddle."

Actually it sounds like you have a burr under your saddle. When you did these thing you speak of in the quote that is your business you made the decision to go into that business and be your own boss. To share your time with your family at what ever rate you chose. Like most that own a business everyone of those hours that you worked paid at a rate of pay that no employer ever pays their hired help.

Noe you wish to take pay out of the pockets of the working employees of the Postal Service. I would just like to know why you are against them making a living. So much so you wish to find a way to cut their pay.

I am just curious who tells you how to run your business? Just what makes you feel you have a right to tell others how to run their business.

Bob Lawless

19. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Six day a week mail delivery? We have never had more than five day delivery here in my area of Eastern Oregon, used to be four. Poor Babies BRGII

20. tachyon

tachyon Member

Thank you K80433SC for your thoughtful and insightful reply.

The carrier has to cover a route whether he/she delivers one piece of mail or 10 at each delivery point. With the internet taking a chunk of the first class load (i.e. bills) the bag may be lighter but the walk/drive is the same. As K80433SC pointed out they are the only "universal" single rate service.

My regular carrier is great.. but when he is on vacation delivery accuracy suffers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.