1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Post subject:

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nubrun, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nubrun

nubrun TS Member

Hey gentlemen/ladies (there might be a few around),

I have been exploring the idea of starting to reload. I currently only shoot trap, and shoot Rem Gun Clubs (1-1/8 oz, 7.5) since they are the cheapest to get out here in SoCal. After reading through a ton of the threads in this forum I have come to the conclusion that you cannot reload cheaper than what you can go to Bass Pro Shops for and buy Rem gun clubs by the case.

But my question is it looks like when you get into loads that are not widely as available, such as the 1 oz loads, that you could save ~ $2.50-3.00 a box by reloading, is this really the case? I am using the winchester AA light target loads which I assume are 1 oz loads, as the basis for this conclusion.

Also it looks like the same might apply to handicap load as well. With good components, it seems like you could make a comparable shell to a STS for around $5 a box as well. Am I looking at this wrong or missing something? And advice from you veteran reloaders would be great.

Thanks,
    Nick

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Before you even start reloading you need to <UL><LI>buy a press <LI>buy a good scale or balance<LI>buy components (in bulk)<LI>assure yourself of a steady supply of reloadable hulls (buying hulls or new shells to get hulls kills savings)<LI>buy/build what's necessary to set up an area in which to reload<LI>find a source of OTC reloading components because buying ANYTHING by mail (especially powder and primers) will more than negate any savings you might have seen by reloading.</UL>

You may well end up picking your loading data based on what you can buy locally to avoid having to pay to have it shipped to you.

Then you have to pay off the press, scale and work area start-up expenses with the savings from reloading before you can start to see any financial advantage at all to reloading. How long that takes depends on how much you had to spend to set yourself up and how many shells/month you reload.

It's not instant savings!

Keller

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

You will have to buy components in fairly large quantities to save that much, that said, you can save some money mainly on shot & powder by loading lighter loads,ie 1oz or 7\8 oz at 1150 to 1200 fps, they will be plenty for 16yd & skeet- especially skeet as there some very good scores with 410s with only 1\2oz. Don't know what you're paying for GCs but you can load 7\8oz for about $3.50 a box if you buy in reasonable quantities. Don't forget that re-loaders cost money too and how you value your time all enter into the equation. That GC hull is the best promo hull on the market for re-loading, you'll get 6 or 8 good loads from it, they do have steel heads (brass or zinc plated) so if your gun is finicky like mine they may need to be re-sized. Hope this helps--Ross Puls

4. nubrun

nubrun TS Member

I currently pay about $5.50 per box of 1-1/8 oz 7.5 gun clubs. I buy by the cases from BPS which is the closest place to get them, and the cheapest around here. I used the calculator here and figured it would be ~ 5.25 per box to reload without hulls (I have a couple of thousand once fired GC's that I've shot).

Now if I can reload a shell comparable to STS, and that may have a lighter recoil, for the same price as I buy gun clubs, then it would be worth it for me. If not, then its not worth my time, and I'll keep buying GC's in bulk.

For those of you that reload, are you reloading to save money, or to get a nice shell that works for you?

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

...because I can put together a good 1200 fps 1 oz load with good components for $3.95 a box and I haven't paid for good hulls in any way for years... and probably never will!

Keller

6. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Some folks such as myself look at reloading kinda like therapy without all the yak yak. I like to reload out in the mancave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.