1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Office Days Off Per Year. ALOT!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Go to the web site above and count how many days the PO takes off per year. Its more then I thought. Some days I fully agree with and some I have never heard of.

What are you all's thought about those days and should they really stop the Sat mail service? I say drop most of the days they are taking off and keep the Sat service.

2. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

They don't have any more holidays than any other federal workers so why pick on postal workers only? They can stop Mon-Sat mail service for all I care.

3. Auctioneer

Here they are saying they want to stop Sat mail service but yet are having all these holidays and most likely PAID holidays. On top of that they want to raise the cost of a stamp. Hell they don't do what they are suppose to be doing as it is. I say no more holidays but the main ones and no raising the cost of the stamp. Let them learn to work with what they got.

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Of course they are paid holidays!! Pension costs are what is weighing the post office down - not normal (American) paid holidays. They cannot meet future benefit costs. Slashing a couple of holidays from current workers won't fix it.

5. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Auctioneer,

Those are the federal holidays. If those are paid holidays it will not make a difference in the amount of pay they get.

I am curious, what holidays you never heard of?

Jason

6. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Auctioneer,,,,why don't you start a business and deliver my mail within 3 days coast to coast for $.40,,,,I will mail at least 20 pieces a year with you....

7. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

The Postal Service pays its craft employees for 10 holidays each year. Admittedly - there are 4 paid holidays that may not be considered "legitimate" holidays to many Americans ; especially to those who seem to make their life's mission to bitch about the Post Office. And sadly - we have a few of those on this forum. The 4 odd holidays ARE Federal holidays, so the Postal Service mirrors those of the Federal Government. Those 4 days are President's Day, Martin Luther King Day, Columbus Day and Veteran's Day. The remaining 6 holidays are New Year's Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving & Christmas. Are any of you willing to provide your special reasoning as to why these are not acceptable days to be off from a job ?

In addition - I might ask some of the chronic complainers to consider this........The Postal Service works on Good Friday (full day), the day after Thanksgiving (full day), and allows but ONE paid day for the Christmas holiday. Just how many businesses or factory jobs can make the same claim ? I know that as I deliver immediately prior to any major holiday, I am given all sorts of special instructions from business on my route, outlining early closures and extended breaks beyond the actual day of the holiday, itself.

And contrary to some ridiculous myth that has surfaced and perpetuated itself, the Postal Service works a normal, full delivery day on Saturday. Carriers do not get to go home at noon or 2 o'clock, as is also often the case of businesses that have Saturday hours.

Add to the actual job the constant pressure to work faster, the timing of my entire route EVERY day, the harassment and beratement by supervision (many of whom are failed carriers, themselves), weather, traffic, dogs, "know it all" customers who always have a better understanding of the job than you do, and I can say with certainty that many of the bitchers on this forum could not handle what I do for a living. PERIOD.

I ask that you take your jealousy and class warfare attitudes, and place your complaints in a suggestion box where you can all mail them to each other for 44 cents.

8. badminton

badminton Member

The holidays they get are no different than any other government job or banking industry job. If you want to bitch about government jobs start bitching about Congress...they make the rules. As for Saturday delivery there is nothing I get that can't wait until Monday to be delivered. That would definitely cut cost but again Congress is the one holding this up.

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

K80: Relax a tad. I depend on the Postal service both outbound and inbound mail for my business. I agree with most of what you say. The fact that the gov't. and a lot of banks take off the 3 holidays that nobody else shuts down for is what's frustrating when you are trying to run a business.

Sat. stoppage wouldn't bother or hurt us unless the following Mon was a holiday and no mail.

Hang in there.

Don

10. powertrader

powertrader TS Member

its a business, its proven the goverment cannot successfully run a business,. let it fail. privatization is the solution.

11. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

the PO can change one thing and become self supporting real quick. Start charging proper postage to mail a letter. For example charge someone 2 bucks to mail a letter. Still a bargain when you think about it. Guess thats too easy. Better to raise the price of stamps 2 cents each time.

12. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

I would be willing to bet that if the mail service is privatized, it will cost a helluva lot more than $.44 to send a letter. Just Sayin.

13. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

What other federal employee works on Saturday ?

14. shadow

shadow Active Member

The only reason for the USPS to raise the cost of postage is that it now costs more to to store our mail.

15. tj303

tj303 Member

Stopping Saturday delivery and raising 'junk' mail rate is OK with me.

Not picking on just postal carriers but also bankers and federal/state employees.

However....

"Those 4 days are President's Day, Martin Luther King Day, Columbus Day and Veteran's Day. The remaining 6 holidays are New Year's Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving & Christmas. Are any of you willing to provide your special reasoning as to why these are not acceptable days to be off from a job ?"

Special reason...As the owner of a retail store I am expected to be open everyday. In 2011 the store was closed two days, Thanksgiving and Christmas. There are millions of retail employees working all those Holidays so 'working' people can shop and play.

Perhaps we should have the useless government pass another useless law mandating all businesses be closed on all Federal holidays. Oops, no beer, gas, or amusement parks on the Fourth of July etc.

TJ

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

BigBadBob hit a very valid point. I'll almost guarantee you that if some of you get your privatization wish the cost will go way up and the reliability will go down. Hell the real snail mail is UPS and Fed Ex unless you pay a stupidly high amount to send something Next Day Air. I can send a package across Country with USPS Priority at just a fraction of Fed Ex or UPS faster shipping methods and it will be there in 2-3 days like clockwork. At less than a dollar per letter we have been getting a bargin way too long.

17. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

A large portion of the income for the P.O. has been lost with the use of computers to receive bills and make payments on line. As my son said to me recently "no one under 50 writes checks anymore." I'm over 50 and I havn't written a check or gotten a bill in the mail in over 2 years.

Eric

18. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

K80, Well said. Why not also enlighten some of the "chronic bitchers" about the "Mail Count" and how it affects a carriers pay. Also, I think I have heard that the USPS pension fund is over-funded by 80 billion. Larry

19. Auctioneer

K80433SC, I agree with the days you listed first in your post. I don't have a problem with those. I do have a problem with taking MON off for a SUN Christmas. I do have a problem with taking a MON off for a SUN New Years. WHY????????

On the list of other days off there are 26 other days listed. Days that I put a BIG ? on. As I said before the ones you listed I do not have a problem with but the others I do.

The PO has a 2 day priority mail service offered. Then why don't they deliver the service they offer? Its not a 2 day service but a 3 to 4 day. I paid for a 2 day priority I should get a 2 day priority service.

My father mailed a letter from his home town to go across town and it took 2 weeks. Uncalled for.

I hear alot of people saying they are getting tied of getting other peoples mail. In turn they are getting tired of other people giving them their mail.

Till the PO gets rid of the bad workers and fix the problems they have why should they get to raise the cost of stamps and have those un-nessary days off?

20. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Those who laud the Postal Service for delivering letters at 44 cents apiece and ask "who else can do that?" need to wake up. The Postal Service doesn't do that since they loose 12 billion a year. I think just about anybody could do what the Postal Service does at that big a loss. So long as belongs to the government it will always lose money- it's what the government does best. Privitize it and it might make a profit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.