1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POST COMMENTS ON CALIFORNIA STATE SHOOT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trap72, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trap72

trap72 Member

Hello to all that was in attendance at the CA State Shoot. I did not attend, but my heart was there. SO I spent a few minutes each day checking the weather report and the scores on TRAPSHOOTERS.COM. The weather report indicated that temps were much cooler than some of the State shoots in the past. The scores were lower too. Did they set the trap machines for wider angles? May be there was head, cross or tail breeze all week? Why were the scores a bit lower than usual? All of the top guns scores were down too, but everyone had a great time right? Post your comments.

Thanks, Ernie

P.S. I NOTICE CHRIS JOHNSON WAS THERE SHOOTING WITH TOM AND VICKIE LARKIN!

2. Gary Beer

Gary Beer Member

I must say the new voice calls combined with the automatic Pat-Traps made for some fine targets. I don't think we had any no calls or late calls. Broken birds were at a minimum. The only problem we encountered was when the power went out for about 15 minutes on our last trap on the last day.

Unfortunatley I didn't ever think a 93 in the 25-26 yard handicap would ever be good enough for a runner up shoot-off so I went home and then to dinner. Oh well I won a shoot off that same day for A class doubles.

Good Shoot again,

Gary Beer

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

...and my very heartfelt thanks to Chris Johnson for spontaneously giving self and Phil Ross a cold drink. It was muggy and Chris must have observed that we were "wilting"...oh, and I was dressed in dirty, greasy, dishelveled Levis after setting up my travel trailer back at the Royal Oak RV Park. I recall Chris is among the honorably well-dressed trapshooters...in that heat!!! Kudos...and thanks to the Larkins, Tom and Vickie, for going out of their way to introduce me to an interesting individual who was from the automotive racing industry/hobby. My pictorial/tactual memories of the shoot include dust, heat, brightness, motivated people, and a friendly, energetic staff from that gunclub. And the egg sandwiches and breakfasts are to look forward to...and Jimmy Heller's circulating a get well card for an injured fellow So-Cal trapshooter..memories..

...David

4. 7771

7771 Active Member

there was a breeze that changed directions all day on saturday but the targets were good and i think the high on saturday was 89

5. trap72

trap72 Member

6. motowheelguy

motowheelguy TS Member

They set Eastcoast targets, no but really.....light wind off and on with a little change up and a soft target. Good temps,a little hot Weds and Sun but not bad. Fishing was slow due to the cold water temps and the moon. Good times at a great shoot.

Aaron Holguin

7. ajc

ajc Member

Another very well-run shoot. Thanks to all the officers of CGSTA and the Kingsburg Gun Club.

As noted, temps were down considerably from past years. It got a bit warmer over the weekend, but nothing to cause any health concerns.

I also recognized that all scores were down a bit. Can't explain it; I shot the entire program and don't think I had one illegal or late target. Didn't have any machine issues either. Although there was a very welcome breeze at times, it wasn't anywhere strong enough to move the targets.

I sampled most of the lunch menu and found every meal to be served hot. I had a salad too, and it was served fresh. So kudos to the lunch crew.

All of the kids that scored on my houses did a very good job. I don't think I had a single mis-call for the week. However, outside of their scoring tasks they didn't know what to do. For example, shooting out of order, or how to rule on a fail to fire in doubles. It wasn't a big problem, since the squad knew the proper ruling. Overall, they did a good job.

Attendance seemed to be down a bit particularly early in the week, but by Friday it seemed to be well attended. Although I didn't take a physical count, vendors appeared to be well represented, with more Firearm vendors than I recall from past years.

Some constructive suggestions: once again, the State Shoot utilized a low-powered radio signal. However, I only knew about it from overhearing a conversation. There was no mention of it in the program nor any posters announcing it. Half the shoot was over before I discovered it. When I tuned in, I found that it was aired on top of a commercial station. Made it hard to separate the two. An announcement of the radio frequency may have been made over the PA system, which brings me to my next point: the announcements were absolutely impossible to hear from the far end of the River Campground. As I recall, last year there was a speaker so that you could hear PA calls, but that wasn't the case this year.

That's it. Overall, another excellently run shoot. I will return.

8. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

The efficiency of the shoot-offs,Bob, was due to the following factors:

1) The new ATA Category Rule eliminated the time consuming task of getting trophy decisions from the category shooters....Thanks to the ATA for that!

2) The new and improved electronic leaderboard allowed the shoot off personnel to get a "head start" on the planning of the shoot-offs. Previously they had to wait until the final score printout was run and then start from scratch.
    Thanks to Ray Brasser and David Van Elgort for that!

3) The usual hard work of the CGSTA Directors and others who pitched in! Thanks to you all!

Walt Hastings

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.