1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Post '64 Win Mdl 70???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by billy77, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billy77

billy77 TS Member

I have an as new Modl 70, 30-06, made in mid 60s, with Weaver 3-9 scope, gun is near perfect, hooded sight, etc, etc....my question is should I use this gun or sell to a collector....I am not a collector and I really don't know if this is a collectable gun or not Thanks SC

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The Pre 64 models are the desireable ones for collectors. And they prefer the uncommon calibers. HMB

3. rollnblock

rollnblock Member

the pre 64's are the desirable ones. a post 64 with the push feed isn't. shoot it. a pre 64 30-06 is near 1000$ a post 64 30-06 is about 350$. the 30-06 is very common, now if you had it in a oddball caliber it might be differant.

4. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

The ones built between '64 and '68 are the least desireable of the lot.....in '68 they added an antibind lug on the bolt and a "G" in the serial number to designate the same. That said, I've had several post '68 models and they were all well made and shot great. The common calibers in std. weight pre '64 models won't bring near the money a lot of people think they will. Unless it's NIB, unfired with all the tags, just enjoy shooting it. Most Model 70 collectors only want NIB guns or rarer calibers.

Ken Rucker

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Are you looking to sell it?..they unfortunantly not worth a lot but are good shooters none the less

6. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

What Ruck said, Scooter. A very few Model 70's are rare & of some limited collector value, but almost all the rest are "just" good guns to be used & enjoyed. I've got both pre- & post-'64's and they're all tools I use & appreciate, of no significant value. If the serial number is over 700,000 it has no "collector" value, and can be appreciated as a fine gun to use & enjoy. If under 700,000 maybe it's worth $800, about what a nice new gun costs. Phil E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.