1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Post 5.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jlesley, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

I hate it!! I absolutely hate it!!! It kicks my a** everytime because I panic, start jerking the gun around, shoot behind, etc., etc......Is there anything I can do to work on getting better on this post?!?!?!??! Thanks... Jill

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Yep - stand there and shoot targets until you get over it. Every time I've found myself struggling on a post, I've done that and usually in 25 targets, the problem has gone away.

Ed

3. gotbass

gotbass Member

Make sure your stance lets you feel comfortable that you can get around on a hard right and as suggested shot enough from the post to get to the point that you know that you do not have to rush the shot to kill the bird.

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Ed has it right . Turn your feet alittle to the right your not going to get anything you can,t handle . Shoot a box or two or more just beat it .

On post 5 you will get a straight away or a right so trun alittle to the right

5. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Jill, FWIW I'm a lefty who had major problems on #1. I fixed the problem (mostly) by just focussing on the target and pulling the trigger, not giving my brain enough time to 2nd guess itself. It helped...not 100%, but enough to get me to AA. As soon as you refer back to the beads or hesitate for any other reason you are screwed. Shoot a practice round off #5, just look at the target and pull the trigger, don't worry about misses, come the end of the round you may be surprised. Cheers-Graham.

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Stop hating it and look at it as a challenge. Mental attitude has a lot to do with your success, or lack thereof. Remember, the game is 90% mental.

Make sure you are looking at the target (and only the target).

Make sure your stance is such that you aren't binding up and can swing through the target.

Make sure you aren't pushing the gun away from your face; stick with the gun.

Move your eye hold away from the house; this will help eliminate the panic feeling. You are probably looking for the target too close to the house.

There are few things more satisfying than smoking a "screaming" wide right from post 5. Practice the fundamentals and you can do it.

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

As others have stated, if your right handed, turn a little more to the right. Your back will be slightly facing the person on post 4. This makes a left quartering target on 5 a straight-away, and makes it easier to swing to the right on right quartering targets without moving the comb of your gun off your cheek.

Another thing you can practice is your leads with hard right, or left, targets. Your shotgun barrel is about 1" wide, that 1" barrel covers a 12" area at 36 yards. So if you need a 2 foot lead on a target, picture 2" of air in between your barrel and the target, get your lead, keep moving and squeeze the trigger. IMO, your always better to error in front of the target (more lead) than behind it (not enough lead). IE: target is moving toward the shot-string, not away from it. Good luck, Wayne

8. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

Jill post 5 was a killer for me .Now i love it .What i did was i always start on 5 ata meat shoots when you break 5 0n post 5 every thing else is easy .Just keep your head on the gun and smoke the target you will get it .Kirk

9. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Last week I had a clean run until # 5. Lost 2 birds.

Next round same but only 1 lost bird.

So I shot 50 targets from # 5. I ran the last 20 or so clean.

Next round was clean. problem solved.

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Jill on post #5 I stand with my feet 90 degrees to the marker on the post. I do this because I don't have to swing to the left(right handed)it is only a slight move. It give you the feeling that you don't have to swing as far.

There are also some drills that some of the AA that teach shooting use one is on post five(in practice only)hold on the left corner of the house. If you can learn to break targets this way holding on the right corner of the house is a piece of cake.

Bob Lawless

11. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Jill, I'm right handed and 5 is a great post for me. I stand just like
    Bob Lawless say's, very important for those hard rights.
    I also hold a little over 12" high and 8 to 12" to the right of
    the house. If you get a bird going left it's not a problem with
    this setup. I don't know what load you're using for 16's, but I
    shoot a 1oz load of 8's going out at about 1175fps. With that load
    I lead the hard rights about 1 to 1 1/2 bird length's and keep my
    head glued to the comb and follow through.
    If your club will allow it, lock the trap to throw hard rights only. Shoot
    at least 2 boxes until you get the right feel and clean breaks. Then
    your mind and muscle memory will be ingrained.
    Mike Cunningham
    Groveland, CA
    ATA Vet

12. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

Thanks all....today during practice round I did o.k. on post 5, and for record I was completely screwed - it is totally mental!!! I talked to a couple of people and they all had very similar suggestions. I am right handed, one eyed shooter because I am strong left eye dominant. I have only been shooting for 7 months, but up until the last month or so, it's been a struggle. I'm finally getting the pieces to come together EXCEPT for post 5 and 1. I just can't get my body swinging and the gun moving. When I do break a hard angle, I feel like I'm so "unnaturally" in front of that target that I can't repeat it, absolutely MENTAL!!!!! I swear, come spring, I'm gonna beat these posts if it freakin' kills me!!!

13. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Jill,
    Sounds like you're working at it. Thats a good thing.
    OK so only 7 months. When I started shooting trap, all the old guys told
    me it would take 2000 to 3000 rounds just to get in the groove. Now I
    am one of the "Old Guys". Well guess what, they were right.
    So just take your time, don't push your shots, keep shooting and
    it will come around.
    Practice your gun mount at home--mirror if you have one.
    We all had the same problem and that's the damn truth no matter
    what anyone say's!
    Good luck to you!
    Mike Cunningham
    Groveland, CA
    ATA life Vet

14. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Jill, Do you shoot a long heavy gun? Maybe there is a lot there for you to get started movin' in the right direction! Practice and a little expreimentation is the anwser. Lock the trap on the hard right and go shoot 50. Make a subtle change after each 5. It won't take long for you to figure out what works and what doesn't. You'll master it in no time, and then it will be hard lefts on 1, straightaways on 3....

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've never seen a Krieghoff KX-5 with a 32' barrel that was either long or heavy. It'll come!!

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'll suggest you sign up for that Nora Ross clinic coming up near Harrisburg soon. I understand she's excellent with one eyed shooters. Forget the amateur instruction and go with them!!

17. monroesc

monroesc Member

Jill,
    I know your pain...I am also all the stuff you listed. How I solved post 5...I wanted to "cheat" by starting at the outside corner of the house, but I wasn't actually seeing the target where I needed to see it. I start 1/2 way between center and the outside corner. Make sure you have your left eye closed (it's amazing what we do and not realize!) I close mine AND I have tape on the lense. I can now hit the FRONT of the bird instead of missing or just getting the tail end.
    Good luck!
    Sara

18. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Two suggestions: try shooting a couple of rounds of - dare I say - skeet on stations 2, 3, & 4. Use a skeet gun. Helps give you the "feel", target lead, and follow through for hard rights for a right-handed shooter. Also, put your weight slightly forward (60%) on your left leg and follow the target with your left knee...causes you to avoid "arm shooting" and helps moving from the waist. Regards, Ed

19. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

DON'T STOP SWINGING WHEN YOU PULL THE TRIGGER!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.