1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Virus.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Not sure how true but worth a warning. It may save some of us aggravation. Bulge.

VIRUS--- Read Immediately

Anyone-using Internet mail such as Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so on. This information arrived this morning, Direct from both Microsoft and Norton Please send it to everybody you know who has Access to the Internet. You may receive an apparently harmless e-mail titled "Here you have it" If you open the file, a message will appear on your screen saying: 'It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful....'

Subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC, And the person who sent it to you will gain access to your Name, e-mail and password. This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon. AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the anti virus software's are not capable of destroying it.

The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself 'life owner'.

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS E-MAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS, And ask them to PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY!

THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY SNOPES.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/hereyouhave.asp

2. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Real Simple. Don't open attachements that you aren't expecting. We had our Corporate networks shut down for hours some years ago because of that "I Love You" worm that propagated in a similar fashion. Some people just can't resist tempting fate and opening up attachments from people that they don't know. Some antivirus products and firewalls have a "sandbox" option where you can open a file and it is already contained immediately if it tries to do something suspicious. You need to be proactive to prevent malware from taking advantage. Even your "smart" phones aren't safe anymore.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Rick Barker

There are exploits showing up for Macs these days as well. I use a live version of Linux for email and general surfing on the net. If it runs in volatile memory, then the nasty stuff can go away when it's powered down. If you use a Mac, don't tempt fate. These creeps are starting to target more platforms. Usually they catch someone sleeping with their "I own a Mac" sense of security. If I were looking to make a score with a form of malware, I'd go after the path of least resistance, aka MAC. I've seen infected Macs and it ain't pretty. Windows just has a larger installed base and is a bigger target to hit. No matter what platform you run, it's mostly user error that makes it happen.

5. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Another one that got me was from someone I knew and the subject line was, "Hi". Lost a hard drive over that one. Of course my friends did not send it, but someone hijacked their email account. If it shows up in "junk mail" and you aren't expecting it,,,,DELETE IT!!!!

6. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

This thread reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask since I'm no computer geek:

I usually open my mail on my BlackBerry, I'm rarely on the PC. If I open an email that's infected, does it endanger the hard drive on my PC? Anyone know?

Dave

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Am on backup computer tonight. "Windows Repair Center" appeared, showed "Hard Drive Failure", and lost everything on main 'puter. Don't know where it came from.

Hopefully, my 'puter Wizard can recover data. Lots of work down the drain, some saved.

8. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

This is for Mac, PC, Unix, Linnux or any other type system. It does not relate only to a virus but could be a just plain old "**it Happens" kind of problem.

A line I always tell the students where I work:

"There are two kinds of computer users. Those who know what the term "Backup" means and do it and those who, at some point in time, will wish they did!"

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

In any case, Backup EVERYTHING you wish to keep. There are many ways to make that happen. I have external drives and a couple of servers that will automatically do backups and mirrir drives. One server will now have 16 Terabytes of storage space, thanks to a recent sale at one hardware supplier. Backups of mission critical data is done with at least one redundant copy. There are many programs that will do this automatically. I usually make an image of the "system" partition and have all of the data backed up elsewhere. The idea of having a "system" partition is simple. You have one partition or drive for your operating system to run on and then you can store all of your data separately. If the system won't boot, sometimes it's a simple procedure to restore the partition or drive from an image. If the actual hardware failed, then it can be replaced, imaged, and then the data would be safe in a backup.

There are two types of hard drives. Those that are working and those that have failed. Save your data while they are still working.

If you are serious about backups and have enough data to warrant it, Windows home server is one option or Network attached storage is another. Even on older system that no longer has much use can be set up with some extra drives and a program like Free NAS can be installed to run it. It gives you decent online storage that you can use for multiple systems. The external drives are also an option, but they sometimes fail, just like everything else. Many of my clients have servers with redundant drives set up as "Mirrored" and thenn backups are made automatically to an external drive or NAS, and some to a remote server as well.

If you are running Windows, there is a free program called Cobian Backup that can be set to do custom backups locally or on the net. It's a great alternative to "Windows" backup or other expensive backup programs. It's not the most user friendly program, but once you get the hang of it, you can do some pretty advanced things with it.

Being "Proactive" about protection from Viruses and malware is an ongoing fight. Nothing is 100% secure.

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Rick Barker

I don't have much faith in those that advertise heavily on tv or elsewhere. I setup my own server offsite and transfer backups over a secure connection and encrypt the data on both ends. There are three caveats with offsite companies. Security, data loss, or them going belly up and then it's anybodies guess if your data is safe. What happens when they sell off their servers with your data still on it? If it's encrypted, it just takes a longer time to crack it. You can also "Rent" room on a server somewhere, but then you have the same issue. My way, I have it all under my own control. I also rotate my external drives and store one onsite and one off site in fire and waterproof cases. Data is encrypted of course and drives are locked up securely.

Now the BIG fly in the ointment. You need a pretty fast pipe between the systems in order to backup a lot of data. What if you need to restore a system from a remote backup. If you have a large database or two, you will be there for days or weeks trying to get it downloaded unless you have a super fast connection.

I have two clients that used a popular internet backup service. They were unable to fully restore their data AND it took a long time to do it. As an extra backup of family pictures and stuff of that nature, it might not hurt to have an extra copy out there somewhere, but for a business, I don't think they are the best solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.