1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Record Crowd @ Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TNCoach, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I wasn't able to attend this year, but I just heard from a friend that they might be breaking some records this year!

It looks like a big crowd is starting to roll in for the main week. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Neil thinks when he has time to post.

TNCoach

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The attendance has dropped off every year so any kind of improvement would be a good start ... I was told it is very warm and very windy by a friend who is there ... Cross your fingers and toes boys and girls ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. hoov

hoov Member

Some records?? compaired to what?
    1999- 47047, 2000- 35798, 2001-37641, 2002-37385, 2003-39149, 2004-39655

2008- 31029, 2007-36633, 2006-33858 2005-30455. {E}

4. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Has there ever been over 530 handicap squads?

Our state shoot suffered this year, but it looks like everyone saved up for the GRAND.

John Payne is at the top of the Senior Vet. leader board with a 98 in caps.

Good Shootin John!

TNCoach

5. zinger

zinger Member

I've read in other threads that they aren't using all the banks so the number of squads really doesn't relate to number of shooters. You'll have to wait until RJ Stuart's total entries for events are posted and divide by 5 will give a more accurate count of number of actual squads.

6. zinger

zinger Member

This was taken from another thread...

Berettaman7,

I am not sure what is going with the squad numbers when compared to entries. I was happy to see 475 squads for Event 11 the Blaser Hcp. Even happier to see one of my shooting buddies broke a 97 in the event! But when I checked the entries this morning on RJ Stuart's website, there were only 1431 entries in event 11 which represents a significant decrease compared to last years 1661 entries in the same event. On a different post I read that they are not using 9 or 10 banks for the Grand program but the squad numbers do not reflect that change. Good luck to all those lucky enough to be shooting there

....so, I took 1431 and divided it by 5 shooters and came up with 286.2 actual squads....so, either there is quite a bit of short squads or ?

7. PaShooter

PaShooter Member

As of yesterday 2156 shooters were classified by Stuart. 2165x5=433 Max number of squads that could have shot an event that is if all those classified shot each and every event. If they shut down a few banks for whatever reason those affected were resquadded to other avaliable banks.

Paul H
    Imperial, PA

8. hoov

hoov Member

TN COACH; GAH 2008 490 squads.I do believe they were at 750-squads at Vandalia during the last few years with close to 1000 in 1999,and almost 800 in 2004.

9. hoov

hoov Member

Zinger; What would they do without us?

10. hoov

hoov Member

PaShooter; Your Dad ever work for Bell of PA.? {E}

11. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Zinger: Thanks for the information that is impressive I wish that I could have seen it!

I just heard from my better half that an official said there were around 620 squads. It will take some time for the actual numbers to come in, but it sounds like it's a great # for Sparta.

TNCoach

12. PaShooter

PaShooter Member

Nope, no relatives working for Bell. In fact I was the only shooter in the family

Paul H
    Imperial, PA

13. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I just got back from a couple days at the Grand. I don't know if the numbers are up or not. I don't think they are down though. Having moved the events to the east fields, the west end & main vendors row was a little sparce on Thurs & Friday. Saturday & sunday the AIM events were held on the west fields. I live very close to the complex & can easily say I have never seen so many people on the west fields ever!!!! Lots of youth & their parents. Vendors row was very busy & the parking lot was so packed that cars were parked in the grass all over the place. I have to go back Tuesday after work to pick up my new Decot glasses & will have a better idea on numbers by then but I will say the place looks great. Wish everybody could get there to see it. Announcement was made that the Hall of Fame will be built on the plot of ground between the main building & the west fields just west of the building storing the clay birds. Architect concept looked pretty neat. Colonel

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"Announcement was made that the Hall of Fame will be built on the plot of ground between the main building & the west fields just west of the building storing the clay birds. "

Anybody else here think they'll (the ATA) do this again any time soon?

15. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Squad numbers are misleading. They are using banks 8-25 (18 banks) for the program events, but in order to make squad numbers consistent with bank numbers they are using all of the numbers (ex. the first wave out is squads 1 thru 27, but there are only shooters on 8 thru 25). This makes figuring out where you shoot easier. They did this for prior shoots at the WSRC that didn't require all of the banks (US Open). It also allows them to add banks by just squadding people on squads that previously were not planned to be used.

The entries for each event are shown on the RJ Stuart website, that's the best way to know how many shooters there were.

I do believe the ATA/shoot manager made a miscalculation regarding the number of banks that would be needed to complete 3 events per day during prelim week. My squad was 3rd wave out for doubles (last event Friday) and didn't finish until about 7:15 pm. On Saturday we were about 3rd to last wave for the last event (singles) and shot our last target at 8:05 pm just as the sun completely dissappeared below the horizon. Sunday we were first wave out for the last event (doubles) and took the line somewhere around 6:30 pm (drove out of the complex at 7:15 pm). The light wasn't very good for the first wave out, it was going to be terrible for those in the later waves.

Scott

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The number of squads never did matter, its the number of shooters and based on what PAShooter said with only 2156 entries they are not going to be breaking any records ... Oh well, back to the drawing board ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Damn, WPT, if it wasn't for negative posts, you wouldn't have very many. ;-)

Hauxfan!

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Haux,

What did you find to be negative about the facts rather than deception ..? I think its great that the place is crowded as hell because that might mean business for the vendors but to mislead everyone with inflated numbers to make things look better than they really are just ain't right ... You can't stand the truth huh ..? Thats really sad that you have to make something out of nothing like you did ... The Biggest little trap shoot in the world now at WSRC is Sparta, Illinois ... Just the facts ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

You can verify at RJS website if you care to ...

19. XT=dontmiss

XT=dontmiss TS Member

the doubles didnt finish up until past 8:30 last night, on traps without lighting and still great scores.

20. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

W.P.T. we all like the Fact's.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/people/?action=view&current=WPT.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I bet one of your favorite tv shows was Dragnet wasn't is .

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/people/Famous%20people/?action=view&current=dragnet1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

We just need the Fact's Sir!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mrpiby-piB4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mrpiby-piB4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Da Da Da Da

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.